Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claridge

Getting rid of scuff marks on a car

I used toothpaste once. Didn't think it would work but it did. But it wasn't a deep or massive scratch.

RAC mention it below in this article. Also has other options. Not sure any are what you're looking for.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/how-to/remove-scratches-from-paintwork/#:~:text=Whitening toothpaste works best but,distributed across the affected area.

58 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Some beep has scraped  down the side/front wing of my car scuffing up the plastic trim and paint work .Any ideas on what to use, especially the plastic which is the same colour as the metal paint

Depends if the 'scuffing' is paint transfer from the other vehicle or actual damage to your trim/paint work. I'd first try some panel wipe/Isopropanol solution to see if that removes any transfer from the other vehicle.

If your plastic trim is scuffed/scratched (i.e. you can get your finger nail in it) then the best way to restore it back is to use a heat gun (The heat makes the plastic reform back to it's natural state) If the plastic trim is faded, I'd recommend this to bring it back to it's original colour: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IOMDUN0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your paintwork is damaged (i.e. the scuffing has gone through the clear coat to the paint/primer) then it might need a professional repair job. I'd first try machine polishing it with a compound and then a finishing polish but if the scuffing/scratches are too deep it'll probably need a re-spray. You could fill it, sand it and respray it yourself of course, and there's loads of video's on YouTube on how to do this.

• Like 1