Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
worth_the_wait

Leicester City and County honours

10 hours ago, steve555 said:

Maybe you could add Mark Selby's world snooker titles?

Good point.   Maybe it needs a secondary sub-section.

The above list was for team sports, and wins in top-level national competitions.   individual titles are a bit more variable, as we'd have to decide exactly what counts

Mark Selby's World Titles in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2021 definitely fit the bill.

But then we could also include Willie Thorne, as he won the 1985 Classic  

(but if we include that, then in theory there would be lots more Mark Selby titles to include)

I would also need to include boxer Tony Sibson there.   He won Middleweight British and Commonwealth titles between 1979 and 1987.

And in future, hopefully the (re-formed) Leicester Lions speedway can win a National/top level trophy.    I don't think they ever won one in the 1960's to 1980's.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

How would you his compare with other east Mids counties? 

I assume only Notts could realistically compare? 

I don't think there are really many counties across the country that you can have much of a like-for-like comparison with, given we're a one-club city and county across four different sports. We're certainly in quite a unique situation football and cricket-wise, whereas on Saturday Hampshire had Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth supporters and fans of the London clubs (one even had a Man United bucket hat on) at the final.

Brighton and Sussex or Northampton and Northamptonshire might be closest? But even then the former has never had a top rugby team as far as I'm aware, and the latter's never had a basketball team of any note.

11 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I don't think there are really many counties across the country that you can have much of a like-for-like comparison with, given we're a one-club city and county across four different sports. We're certainly in quite a unique situation football and cricket-wise, whereas on Saturday Hampshire had Southampton, Portsmouth, Bournemouth supporters and fans of the London clubs (one even had a Man United bucket hat on) at the final.

Brighton and Sussex or Northampton and Northamptonshire might be closest? But even then the former has never had a top rugby team as far as I'm aware, and the latter's never had a basketball team of any note.

Ah I didn't mean comparable in terms of number of sports, fvck them if they can't keep up with us. I just meant purely in terms of numbers of trophies. Like I'm guessing Derbyshire and Lincolnshire can't lay a glove. 

Leics vs Notts (including cities) I assume would be much closer but I reckon we might edge it? 

If you did it by historic counties and weren't too pedantic about the definition I imagine Lancashire would probably take the piss? Especially if you let Wigan and Saints count all their weird little pretend northern "rugby" trophies. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Ah I didn't mean comparable in terms of number of sports, fvck them if they can't keep up with us. I just meant purely in terms of numbers of trophies. Like I'm guessing Derbyshire and Lincolnshire can't lay a glove. 

Leics vs Notts (including cities) I assume would be much closer but I reckon we might edge it? 

If you did it by historic counties and weren't too pedantic about the definition I imagine Lancashire would probably take the piss? Especially if you let Wigan and Saints count all their weird little pretend northern "rugby" trophies. 

Yeah, quite.  In the East Midlands it'd be us and then Notts. And if you're talking all sports across the historic counties then Lancashire would be streets ahead with Middlesex or Yorkshire probably second and us most likely being the best of the rest.

Glamorgan could probably take it on a technicality as I'd imagine the vast majority of Welsh rugby and football champion clubs have come from there, plus the odd English trophy for the cricket and football clubs too.

11 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

The above list was for team sports, and wins in top-level national competitions.   individual titles are a bit more variable, as we'd have to decide exactly what counts

(but if we include that, then in theory there would be lots more Mark Selby titles to include)

I would also need to include boxer Tony Sibson there.   He won Middleweight British and Commonwealth titles between 1979 and 1987.

And in future, hopefully the (re-formed) Leicester Lions speedway can win a National/top level trophy.    I don't think they ever won one in the 1960's to 1980's.

The Lions have actually won the championship in 2019( which is the 2nd Division) . They have since been promoted and now compete in the Elite League .

46 minutes ago, steve555 said:

The Lions have actually won the championship in 2019( which is the 2nd Division) . They have since been promoted and now compete in the Elite League .

Cheers.   The above list, though, is just for "top flight" league titles or "top level" national cup competitions.   Hopefully the Lions can win the Premiership soon.

• Like 2

Does this list just account for sports teams based in the City? Loughborough Lightning are currently the Vitality Netball Superleague Champions and also won it in 2021. Understand if it just City based teams as im sure there are a lot of other teams county based that are current champions of their own national league.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 02:10, worth_the_wait said:

Lions won the SGB Premiership a few years back.

Love the list, great research....or a phenomenal memory.

Edit: I was late to the party with this!

Edited by Foxmeister

5 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Lions won the SGB Premiership a few years back.

Love the list, great research....or a phenomenal memory.

Are you sure?   I can't find a mention of the Lions winning any top flight league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGB_Premiership

Research.   My memory is fairly good ... but not that good!

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

Are you sure?   I can't find a mention of the Lions winning any top flight league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGB_Premiership

Research.   My memory is fairly good ... but not that good!

Wiki can't make it's mind up on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGB_Championship_2019

They won the shield too that year which was a wooden one reminiscent of the Leicestershire Schools FA shield.

It's debatable as to whether the Premiership is the 2nd tier though.

7 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Wiki can't make it's mind up on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGB_Championship_2019

They won the shield too that year which was a wooden one reminiscent of the Leicestershire Schools FA shield.

It's debatable as to whether the Premiership is the 2nd tier though.

Looking at the teams in the Premiership or Championship, I'm no expert, but it definitely looks like the Premiership is the top tier. (and Championship is 2nd tier).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Looking at the teams in the Premiership or Championship, I'm no expert, but it definitely looks like the Premiership is the top tier. (and Championship is 2nd tier).

Definitely true but they're not connected in the same way as football and cricket divisions. It's more like asking if a boxer who wins the WBO title is still a world champion.