Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Football from the past?

This is the 1902 F.A. Cup final-replay between Sheffield United and Southampton, at Crystal Palace. It was the last final to be played with Victorian pitch markings...The six-yard-box, we know today, consisted of two semi-circles. Penalties were taken from anywhere along the solid white 12-yard line. The remaining players had to stand behind the intermittent white line as the kick was taken.
Here is Billy Barnes scoring the winning goal, in a 2-1 victory, for Sheffield United (Att: 33,068).
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love locations of old football grounds, though anything left of them is even better. I know part of Ayresome Park is still up.

It's a shame some old grounds aren't even acknowledged (the state of Filbert Street is a shame).

2 hours ago, davieG said:
This is the 1902 F.A. Cup final-replay between Sheffield United and Southampton, at Crystal Palace. It was the last final to be played with Victorian pitch markings...The six-yard-box, we know today, consisted of two semi-circles. Penalties were taken from anywhere along the solid white 12-yard line. The remaining players had to stand behind the intermittent white line as the kick was taken.
Here is Billy Barnes scoring the winning goal, in a 2-1 victory, for Sheffield United (Att: 33,068).

Hope that's not a Palestinian flag!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I love locations of old football grounds, though anything left of them is even better. I know part of Ayresome Park is still up.

It's a shame some old grounds aren't even acknowledged (the state of Filbert Street is a shame).

By the time Filbert Street was torn down it was in a bit of a state, but its remarkable that they didn't at least retain the rather unique little art-deco turnstyle at the north end of the main stand in order to incorporate it into something else. 

The fact it seemly wasn't considered to keep it as part of the proposed development on the site after FS was demolished is sad. 

I'd love to see it incorporated into a part of the KP redevelopment somehow, but I rather suspect it's long since been lost.

Shambles by the club, the council and original developers IMO. 

8 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

By the time Filbert Street was torn down it was in a bit of a state, but its remarkable that they didn't at least retain the rather unique little art-deco turnstyle at the north end of the main stand in order to incorporate it into something else. 

The fact it seemly wasn't considered to keep it as part of the proposed development on the site after FS was demolished is sad. 

I'd love to see it incorporated into a part of the KP redevelopment somehow, but I rather suspect it's long since been lost.

...and sadly the links to our history both on and off the pitch couldn't be more invisible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

My father owns one of the Filbert Street end turnstiles - they were all auctioned off so it'll either be part of a private collection or it'll be in use somewhere else.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Do you mean this.

image.png.8d16934f81c0a579e1c2736e9fce092b.png

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Agreed. It's great that Middlesbrough kept their gates and moved them to the front of the Riverside.

• Like 1