Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

Car Question

Hi Guys,

I always come here for my car questions as the Internet is full of nonsense and you guys aren’t.

So, I had a full service in January and also my MOT, which my car passed. However, less than six weeks later, my Brake pad worn warning light has come on. 

I have never even seen this light before. The brakes feel fine, no squeaking or anything, so could it be a faulty sensor or the computer needs a reset?

Thanks in advance 

42 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

I always come here for my car questions as the Internet is full of nonsense and you guys aren’t.

So, I had a full service in January and also my MOT, which my car passed. However, less than six weeks later, my Brake pad worn warning light has come on. 

I have never even seen this light before. The brakes feel fine, no squeaking or anything, so could it be a faulty sensor or the computer needs a reset?

Thanks in advance 

lol

do you always go to the same place to get your service/ MOT?

id imagine the point of the MOT isn’t to let you know what migh be a problem in the future, but to identify what is an issue right now… so they might not have documented any low on wear break pads..

Just now, MPH said:

id imagine the point of the MOT isn’t to let you know what migh be a problem in the future, but to identify what is an issue right now… so they might not have documented any low on wear break pads..

Yeah, always the same place. I just would have thought if the pads were low enough for a warning light within four weeks they would have at least been an advisory.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Yeah, always the same place. I just would have thought if the pads were low enough for a warning light within four weeks they would have at least been an advisory.

Well if you know and trust them and not had issues from them before, then  it’s worth mentioning  to them the possibility of the cable/ sensor being defective… the reason i asked is because I can’t tell you how many times I have heard of issues happening very soon after an inspection or previous work done from some unscrupulous places…  but if you’ve not had issues with them before it’s possible an unforeseen issue..

9 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance 

:blink:

Good luck with that fecker!!:D

9 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance 

I would imagine they are low and they just didn't look very hard. 

Get on your hands and knees and you can have a good look at the pads against the disc and see how much meat is left 

Car has 3k miles; mechanic doing NY emissions test said brake pads need to  be replaced. Is that the case? : r/MechanicAdvice

9 hours ago, MPH said:

I'd have thought with things like brakes they're looking for the lifetime of them to last at least a year. Having said my experience is if they can find something to provide them work them they'll probably mention it.

• Like 1

If you have a BMW / Mini, the warning lights come on very, very early. My wife had the warning light come on a couple of weeks ago, so I checked the pads and they’ve got like 3mm of friction material left on each. 

There is a way of resetting the warning light, which I will d9 when I can be arsed.

11 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

If you have a BMW / Mini, the warning lights come on very, very early. My wife had the warning light come on a couple of weeks ago, so I checked the pads and they’ve got like 3mm of friction material left on each. 

There is a way of resetting the warning light, which I will d9 when I can be arsed.

You can’t reset if the wear indicators are in contact with the disc, they will just come back on. They do come on very early with some models and that would probably explain why they weren’t picked up at mot time 

I have question, my car has started to make a grinding sound. The sound only happens when i set off (forward or reverse) but within seconds its stops and this only happen when i have been parked for an hour or so only. Doesn't happen when I break or slow down or stopped at a traffic light. Any idea what it could be? Thanks 

23 hours ago, TeamRocket said:

I have question, my car has started to make a grinding sound. The sound only happens when i set off (forward or reverse) but within seconds its stops and this only happen when i have been parked for an hour or so only. Doesn't happen when I break or slow down or stopped at a traffic light. Any idea what it could be? Thanks 

Damp, cold weather causes my brakes to stick briefly after they've cooled down when I leave the car standing for a few hours. The damp causes mild corrosion on the discs which gets wiped away when the wheels turn and cold and damp can make the callipers a bit "lazy" until they're released as you drive off and the discs start to rotate.

Edited by Parafox
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Parafox said:

Damp, cold weather causes my brakes to stick briefly after they've cooled down when I leave the car standing for a few hours. The damp causes mild corrosion on the discs which gets wiped away when the wheels turn and cold and damp can make the callipers a bit "lazy" until they're released as you drive off and the discs start to rotate.

Thanks, I noticed nothing happened yesterday until late at night. It has been raining,snowing, and the salt people have been out too. Car really are a pain.