Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wasyls Pec Deck

VAR and rule changes

On 11/05/2024 at 14:28, nnfox said:

It won't make any difference!  Same line, different scenario.  The camera angles, timing of the ball being played and image quality all remain the same.  The only thing that will be different is the question will change from "Was his toe ahead of the other guy's toe?" to "Can you really say there was daylight between them?"

Just keep it as it is imo, or scrap it completely (which I don't think they should).

Was about to post the same thing until I read yours, spot on.

It needs reform to reduce errors, because that was the original reason for its implementation - and if that requires temporary withdrawal while it's fixed, then fine.

Throwing it out without the idea of reform is reactionary, rose-tinted Luddism which has no place in a progressive society, including football.

It’s been too subjective which people didn’t realise .

From a fans point of view probably the right idea.

We haven’t seen decisions get any better with it 

Mind you won’t stop teams complaining about decisions!

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It needs reform to reduce errors, because that was the original reason for its implementation - and if that requires temporary withdrawal while it's fixed, then fine.

Throwing it out without the idea of reform is reactionary, rose-tinted Luddism which has no place in a progressive society, including football.

I'm sure everyone would be in favour of something that improves decision making without detracting from entertainment the game, the reason people fall in love with the game and spend obscene amounts of time, money and effort to follow.

Goal line technology is a perfect example of this.

At the minute, the balance is so far off it's unbelievable and detracting from the experience.

Removing VAR and introducing semi-automated offside decision making would be a great step forwards this summer.

Edited by filbertway

Is it really VAR that people have an issue with, or just the abysmal quality of referees?  For me it's the latter and don't think chucking VAR out because the refs are shite is the solution.  The complete lack of accountability or communication from referees is the frustration for me as the majority of people can accept mistakes.  The complete arrogance of the PGMOL to never admit mistakes (or do it as a last resort like the Liverpool/Spurs 'goal') or make the referees accountable creates this huge divide between fans/players and officials.

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Is it really VAR that people have an issue with, or just the abysmal quality of referees?  For me it's the latter and don't think chucking VAR out because the refs are shite is the solution.  The complete lack of accountability or communication from referees is the frustration for me as the majority of people can accept mistakes.  The complete arrogance of the PGMOL to never admit mistakes (or do it as a last resort like the Liverpool/Spurs 'goal') or make the referees accountable creates this huge divide between fans/players and officials.

Well trouble is decisions are subjective but people cannot accept that and that think every ref in every game will think the  same on a decision. 

VAR hasn’t changed that.

Ofcourse there will be bad errors as everyone makes them .

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I'm sure everyone would be in favour of something that improves decision making without detracting from entertainment the game, the reason people fall in love with the game and spend obscene amounts of time, money and effort to follow.

Goal line technology is a perfect example of this.

At the minute, the balance is so far off it's unbelievable and detracting from the experience.

Removing VAR and introducing semi-automated offside decision making would be a great step forwards this summer.

The system needs to be faster and more accurate, yes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The system needs to be faster and more accurate, yes.

Indeed and you cant get accuracy on a subjective situation as a correct answer doesn't exist.

I'd also use technology to ensure that corners/goal kicks are given correctly. 

99.9% of the time you can see if the decision was wrong in undee 5 seconds.

Given the average restart takes 30 odd seconds, then that seems like a positive

• Like 2