Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Kelly Gets The Go Ahead To Spend

Link

Leicester City will back Rob Kelly if the manager sees an opening before Thursday's transfer deadline, a clear hint towards making his job permanent this summer.

The team have pulled themselves all but clear of the drop from the Championship with an incredible run of results, but the longer-term prospects also need attention.

And coach Ray Graydon has revealed that contingency plans are in place to take advantage if the opportunity presents itself in the next few days.

He said: "We are aware of several situations and, if we decide to do something, we know we have got the backing of the board.

"Rob is ready to go ahead if we need to. The picture has become better so your needs become less, but we are abreast of things that may come up.

"While the need to do something might be receding, we are monitoring the situation."

The other side of the coin is that City could be wide open to offers which they may not be able to turn down, as happened with David Connolly who went to Wigan earlier in the season.

Graydon added: "If any team hits a run of form, higher clubs will have a look at your players. That is normal."

But City are looking to build further, not allow their better players to leave, and new arrivals might well be needed more than some may think.

City's revival faces a tough test on Saturday when runaway Championship leaders Reading come to the Walkers Stadium, and the hope is that City will be at their strongest.

However, the squad are showing signs of wear and tear with two of their in-form men, Patrick Kisnorbo and Matt Fryatt, under close scrutiny.

Graydon said: "Kisnorbo is set to go in for a scan on knee trouble. We think it will come up all right.

"Fryatt, with a groin problem, will also have a scan and his situation is more serious. We will be keeping an eye on it."

Kisnorbo and Fryatt going for scans don't sound too good does it?? :cry:

Whoever wrote that article is clueless and it appears Graydon is aswell with some of his comments on it.

Nobody can sign our players unless on loan and why would we allow a team to sign one of our best players on loan?

Unbelievable.

Whoever wrote that article is clueless and it appears Graydon is aswell with some of his comments on it.

Nobody can sign our players unless on loan and why would we allow a team to sign one of our best players on loan?

Unbelievable.

What do yuo expect - It's from bleedin' Blanderson.

Perhaps he was talking longer term - since the article indicates that perhaps Rob/Stowell/Graydon will continue in their roles for some time to come?

Well someone should remind Bill he needs to be clear when righting articles then. :whistle: Bet thats never happened before.

More like a couple of quid... it WON'T be a million in a month of sundays.

Are we getting an extra million for Connoly if Wigan stay up, which they are very likely to do? Whats the likelyhood of Kelly getting most of that?

Are we getting an extra million for Connoly if Wigan stay up, which they are very likely to do? Whats the likelyhood of Kelly getting most of that?

From what I've heard and read I think that £1million has been put to one side to cover things such as the reduction in the number of people attending home games this season compared to last season and possibly to reduce the way that the end of the parachute payments effects the club. I think it will be things like this that the club will spend the £1million on.

From what I've heard and read I think that £1million has been put to one side to cover things such as the reduction in the number of people attending home games this season compared to last season and possibly to reduce the way that the end of the parachute payments effects the club. I think it will be things like this that the club will spend the £1million on.

I think what Thrac is referring to when he mentions TD, is the fact that the incoming million from Wigan has already been booked to cover shortfalls in gate revenue.

Shame really. If we hadn't been so pants all season, the gate revenues wouldn't have fallen as hard as they did (compared to boards forecasts/expectations) and perhaps the money would have been used for a signing or two.

I think what Thrac is referring to when he mentions TD, is the fact that the incoming million from Wigan has already been booked to cover shortfalls in gate revenue.

Shame really. If we hadn't been so pants all season, the gate revenues wouldn't have fallen as hard as they did (compared to boards forecasts/expectations) and perhaps the money would have been used for a signing or two.

That's the general impression I'm afraid.

There may be a bit now though, possibly because the gates and gate projections have improved from those miserable days in January. Even 2000/3000 on the gate x the four games left (or five it you count Hull as the starter) adds £200,000-odd to revenues.

Had we kept on losing post Levein those potential returns would have been pencilled in lower.

That's the general impression I'm afraid.

There may be a bit now though, possibly because the gates and gate projections have improved from those miserable days in January. Even 2000/3000 on the gate x the four games left (or five it you count Hull as the starter) adds £200,000-odd to revenues.

Had we kept on losing post Levein those potential returns would have been pencilled in lower.

There'll probably be some funding available for transfers. It will be minimal, and it certainly won't be the same amount Levein has had to throw around during his time here (most of it made possible by the sale of Connolly), but it should be enough to allow Kelly (assuming he's in charge come July/August) to buy a couple of significant replacements for outgoing players (Joey being one).

What I would like to see is some more academy players coming thru. I don't think it's too realistic to expect three or four pushing for the first team early next season, but it would be nice to see one academy player make a subs appearance here and there to break them in, try them out. There's a few people around here that watch the academy/reserves so I'm sure someone must be aware of a player who may get his chance soon.

One academy player that I've heard of is this Gradel chap who appears to be bagging goals for fun of late. I understand he's a midfielder/winger of some sort. I've a feeling he's young, 16 or 17 perhaps. Does anyone think he might be involved in a pre-season game with the first team, much the same way Weso was last July?

That'd be interesting if he was to make his way towards the first team - as it's midfielders/wingers we may be lacking come July.

Interesting on Gradel if you read the reserves report on the OS. Lot's of step-overs and general skill...can anybody who has seen him give us an overview?

Curently not up to playing First Team Football, yet. Has plenty of possibility though and like Porter, a little on the small side. ;):thumbup:

I don't like to be negative but Kelly does not have much experience in the transfer market. Would it be wise to give him an amount of cash to spend on players when he doesn't have any track record in buying & selling players. I would like to think he is more than capable of finding some good players to come in and improve the squad. It's going to be a very interesting summer for the club.

I don't like to be negative but Kelly does not have much experience in the transfer market. Would it be wise to give him an amount of cash to spend on players when he doesn't have any track record in buying & selling players. I would like to think he is more than capable of finding some good players to come in and improve the squad. It's going to be a very interesting summer for the club.

Graydon was a manager at some point in his career, he can help deal with signings. And Kelly was an academy/reserve coach before so he should have an eye for quality young players at least.

Needless to say, I'm not overly concerned. And yes, this will be an interesting summer :)

Rob Kelly has taken a team on the brink of relegation and in turmoil to almost safety within 2 months, something even the majority of eternal optimists wouldn't have thought was possible. What makes you think he'd be useless in the transfer market? I'm not saying he wouldn't be, but given what he's achieved here in such a short time I think it's only right in giving him a free reign.

Rob Kelly was very influential in some of the signings Levein made, notably McCarthy, Nissa and Hume from what I gather. He has vast knowledge of players in this country particularly in the north of the country where he did endless scouting whilst at Blackburn. He might not have the contacts some managers have, as that takes time to build up but there are alot of inexperienced managers that are successful in the transfer market, it's paramount that you are if you are to become a success.

Luckily for us, we only need 4 or 5 new players in the summer. Hopefully Kelly has enough resources to be able to get the players he wants.

I wonder whether he'll go for any players he worked with at Blackburn? I notice Matt Derbyshire is scoring freely for Wrexham, he's on loan from Blackburn.

Rob Kelly has taken a team on the brink of relegation and in turmoil to almost safety within 2 months, something even the majority of eternal optimists wouldn't have thought was possible. What makes you think he'd be useless in the transfer market? I'm not saying he wouldn't be, but given what he's achieved here in such a short time I think it's only right in giving him a free reign.

Rob Kelly was very influential in some of the signings Levein made, notably McCarthy, Nissa and Hume from what I gather. He has vast knowledge of players in this country particularly in the north of the country where he did endless scouting whilst at Blackburn. He might not have the contacts some managers have, as that takes time to build up but there are alot of inexperienced managers that are successful in the transfer market, it's paramount that you are if you are to become a success.

Luckily for us, we only need 4 or 5 new players in the summer. Hopefully Kelly has enough resources to be able to get the players he wants.

I wonder whether he'll go for any players he worked with at Blackburn? I notice Matt Derbyshire is scoring freely for Wrexham, he's on loan from Blackburn.

I never said he would be useless, I strongly believe he'll be the manager that takes us back the premiership next season. I was just wondering what experience he did have in the transfer market. It was probably his influence that he had in some of the signings Levein made that brought the better players in. I think what Rob Kelly has done is absolutely brilliant so far and it's only the beginning of the success he'll bring to the Club!

Archived