Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

The Guardian - masters of the obvious?

Leicester could appoint current caretaker boss Robert Kelly as their permanent manager. (The Guardian)

Source: aren't you all just so glad I don't go to bed until this has been posted ;)lol (that's due to time differences, not preference in case you were wondering. lol)

Refreshing thought.

It's been mentioned, again, so hopefully it's an indication that we're almost 'there' as it were. I know that's not the way it works, but I for one would like this settled once and for all.

I expect tomorrow's gossip coloum to read "Leicester WILL appoint current boss Rob Kelly ..."

We can only dream :cool:

Just read it myself, thought I'd be the first to comment based in New Zealand, wasn't happy about the Wolves rumours though did think them a bit far fetched, it would be great news, interesting to see how he handles a transfer budget though, how has Welsh actually looked when he's played...anyone....anyone?

Just read it myself, thought I'd be the first to comment based in New Zealand, wasn't happy about the Wolves rumours though did think them a bit far fetched, it would be great news, interesting to see how he handles a transfer budget though, how has Welsh actually looked when he's played...anyone....anyone?

People seem to rate Welsh quite highly.

As for the whole transfers thing, I just feel Rob might be able to find quality at the right price (i.e. almost nothing.) I've a sneaking suspicion he might do well in the transfer market, given the chance (this summer, preferably ;))

Nobody talk to this man.

I think i know him.

He's an egg chaser. : :devil: Just trying to bask in our reflected glory now that tigers never win.

For what it's worth Welsh looks a bit like a chubby Guppy but when fit may be up to having similar ability.

Perhaps you have never lived in the uk,or have been in NZ a long long time,BUT, the only true thing guaranteed in a british newspaper to be true is the date,I have long ago learned to wait and see,for what it is worth I think the chief exec and the guy in OZ who make all the decisions are talking to Kelly, and he has to weigh up his options,he has admitted that he does not class himself as a manager,but is quite happy to coach, perhaps he might prefer a manager to come in who he could work with,and him do what he does best,Rememeber martin On'Neil only went on the training pitch on a friday,he had 2 good men in Robertson and Walford,but M.O.N was there to do all the other stuff.So only believe a third of what you read,and that has to be taken with a pinch of salt as they say.Looking forward to Sat,now the pressure is off they can really show us what they can do.

cosy rosie

Perhaps you have never lived in the uk,or have been in NZ a long long time,BUT, the only true thing guaranteed in a british newspaper to be true is the date,I have long ago learned to wait and see,for what it is worth I think the chief exec and the guy in OZ who make all the decisions are talking to Kelly, and he has to weigh up his options,he has admitted that he does not class himself as a manager,but is quite happy to coach, perhaps he might prefer a manager to come in who he could work with,and him do what he does best,Rememeber martin On'Neil only went on the training pitch on a friday,he had 2 good men in Robertson and Walford,but M.O.N was there to do all the other stuff.So only believe a third of what you read,and that has to be taken with a pinch of salt as they say.Looking forward to Sat,now the pressure is off they can really show us what they can do.

cosy rosie

Perhaps Kelly does see himself as a coach, but he must have been doing his fair share of coaching when Levein was manager and we were shocking then. That's where the problem lies, if Kelly stays on as coach and we appoint as general manager then who knows whether it will work? Ray Graydon has been a manager and quite a decent one given the situation he was in at Walsall, why can't they both continue togetehr and if Kelly has any problems with the managerial side of things then Graydon can help out.

Kelly has not only been a coach but a scout, so he has a good eye for a player from what i've heard so identifying new players shouldn't be a problem. I think Kelly will take it if offered and will either ask Graydon to stay on or get another experienced ex-manager alongside him.

From today's Guardian

Robert Kelly was last night holding talks with the Leicester City board with a view to being appointed manager of the Championship club on a permanent basis. The former journalist, who took over from Craig Levein in a caretaker role when the Scot was dismissed in late January, has become the overwhelming favourite to lead Leicester into next season after transforming their fortunes during the past three months.

Holding talks eh?

I'm really encouraged if that's true. Wonder when we're going to find out?

I have no doubt whatsoever that Kelly sees himself as a manager now.

People go forwards, not backwards and he is always talking about doing his best in whatever job he has and doors opening or not as a consequence.

His natural way is to talk modestly and of what he can effect rather than expressing ambition, setting targets etc and putting pressure on himself.

Sensible man and a lot more astute than people sometimes give him credit for. One of the big reasons I think he'll be a good manager (not necessarily exciting but good) is that his attitude of "doing his very best" is so engrained and is something therefore that he'll expect of others.

You know what you get with Rob - 100% and a 100% expectancy of everyone around him.

That, in my view, is one of the reasons Smith was shipped out so fast. He showed less than 100% commitment to the club by his actions at Brighton. Many new managers like to make a big of an example of someone to emphasise the principles of their own regime and Smith suited perfectly because he was not vital to the club, nor on a long term contract.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Kelly sees himself as a manager now.

People go forwards, not backwards and he is always talking about doing his best in whatever job he has and doors opening or not as a consequence.

His natural way is to talk modestly and of what he can effect rather than expressing ambition, setting targets etc and putting pressure on himself.

Sensible man and a lot more astute than people sometimes give him credit for. One of the big reasons I think he'll be a good manager (not necessarily exciting but good) is that his attitude of "doing his very best" is so engrained and is something therefore that he'll expect of others.

You know what you get with Rob - 100% and a 100% expectancy of everyone around him.

That, in my view, is one of the reasons Smith was shipped out so fast. He showed less than 100% commitment to the club by his actions at Brighton. Many new managers like to make a big of an example of someone to emphasise the principles of their own regime and Smith suited perfectly because he was not vital to the club, nor on a long term contract.

And it's that sort of style that will get us out of this league.

This is being strung out far too much, he wants to get the job, we want him to get the job, the board want him to have the job - so just get it sorted! I'm still hopeful that it'll be announced today, but if it isn't I'm going to get annoyed as there is no reason to drag it out for this long.

This is being strung out far too much, he wants to get the job, we want him to get the job, the board want him to have the job - so just get it sorted! I'm still hopeful that it'll be announced today, but if it isn't I'm going to get annoyed as there is no reason to drag it out for this long.

I don't think it will be today louise, we'd usually of heard rumblings about a press conference by now, in fact i'm suprised people haven't started making them up, like they did when we were getting a different manager each week. :D

I don't think it will be today louise, we'd usually of heard rumblings about a press conference by now, in fact i'm suprised people haven't started making them up, like they did when we were getting a different manager each week. :D

No, the latest they could have a press conference is 6ish (although that is with it being announced at 5) but those are usually only for surprise announcements like managers leaving (similar case for early morning press conferences). For something like this a 2pm press conference is the usual thing (or around that time).

"Leicester could appoint current caretaker boss Robert Kelly as their permanent manager. (The Guardian)".

i could get the job :ermm:newspapers have to fill space, lots of it, thats all they were doing, and its not rocket science to work out he could :blink:

No shit Sherlock :whistle:

I don't want to patronize you Louise because I know you're an intelligent person and just feeling a little frustrated.

Just want to remind everyone that just because he wants the job and the board want to give him the job (let's say..) it wouldn't necessarily be the case that it were sorted out very quickly. They have to have time to have open discussion about it and both sides would be negotiating over length and terms of the contract. Chances are that an agreement is in place in principle but they need a proper opportunity to sit down and iron out the formalities, dot the i's and cross the t's as they say.

Having said that, perhaps I'm just overly optimistic and in reality he and the board are having one last look round for a better offer! :P

I don't want to patronize you Louise because I know you're an intelligent person and just feeling a little frustrated.

Just want to remind everyone that just because he wants the job and the board want to give him the job (let's say..) it wouldn't necessarily be the case that it were sorted out very quickly. They have to have time to have open discussion about it and both sides would be negotiating over length and terms of the contract. Chances are that an agreement is in place in principle but they need a proper opportunity to sit down and iron out the formalities, dot the i's and cross the t's as they say.

Having said that, perhaps I'm just overly optimistic and in reality he and the board are having one last look round for a better offer! :P

I understand there are a lot of issues to be sorted out with the new contract (for example it is likely to be three contracts rather than one that the club has to sort out) however I can't understand the amount of time taken considering all parties appear to be willing (although that may not be the case). If it was a case of getting a consensus amongst the board then surely that would have been sorted out before Friday. If it was a case of mathematical safety then that was sorted on Saturday. On Monday Kelly was still saying he'd had no discussion with the board though which (if true) seems like very slow movement from the club when really they should have had the preliminary contracts already ready before the weekend. It has taken them a couple of days in previous cases to negotiate contracts (Adams, Levein, Kelly) so I can only assume that they didn't call Kelly on Saturday night and ask to start negotiations, but appear to have waited until Tuesday to do so.

I suppose my frustration is that the board have been very lucky with Kelly's appointment and are getting a lot of credit from some for sitting on their laurels at the time of Levein's sacking. Now they seem to be doing the same again and trundling along with no sense of urgency. Where is the direction from the board? What is our target for next season? How are the board looking to help us achieve it?

Surely for a bit of showmanship (well I'd do it in their shoes) is wait until Saturday's game (or the Plymouth one) and get the Birch to announce it before the players come onto the pitch - get the crowd going!! :thumbup:

Won't happen, but it'd be cool!!

Where exactly has Kelly said he doesn't want to be a manager? He hasn't come out and definitely said he wants the job permanently, but having spoken with the bloke, I can safely say that he wouldn't say no to it.

Where exactly has Kelly said he doesn't want to be a manager? He hasn't come out and definitely said he wants the job permanently, but having spoken with the bloke, I can safely say that he wouldn't say no to it.

Two instances come to mind which made people think he didn't want it:

1) When he first took over, he said he saw himself as a coach, not a manager. BUT he was willing to give anything a go.

2) Radio Leicester's cockup on Friday where they said he didn't want it when clearly he said no such thing.

Neither is himself stating clearly that he doesn't want the job. He doesn't 'see himself in the job' and not wanting them are different concepts. Second, RL can't be trusted, so again it's not been said.

His "it's not about me, it's about the team" attitude has probably led people to believe he's not too interested in it, as he's always deflected talk of him keeping the job.

He's never said it using the words 'I don't want the job'

Two instances come to mind which made people think he didn't want it:

1) When he first took over, he said he saw himself as a coach, not a manager. BUT he was willing to give anything a go.

2) Radio Leicester's cockup on Friday where they said he didn't want it when clearly he said no such thing.

Neither is himself stating clearly that he doesn't want the job. He doesn't 'see himself in the job' and not wanting them are different concepts. Second, RL can't be trusted, so again it's not been said.

His "it's not about me, it's about the team" attitude has probably led people to believe he's not too interested in it, as he's always deflected talk of him keeping the job.

He's never said it using the words 'I don't want the job'

Exactly, yet people are convinced that he's said this. I think he's done the right thing; concentrated on getting the results without putting himself in the limelight. Had he come out and said "I want the job" only for it to go Pete Tong, then he would have done himself no favours. By saying very little, he's had no pressure from either the media or the fans. Very cannily played, if you ask me.

Exactly, yet people are convinced that he's said this. I think he's done the right thing; concentrated on getting the results without putting himself in the limelight. Had he come out and said "I want the job" only for it to go Pete Tong, then he would have done himself no favours. By saying very little, he's had no pressure from either the media or the fans. Very cannily played, if you ask me.

He seems a humble sort of chap. He always includes everyone in the success. He got manager of the month, and he said it was 'everyone' that earned it, mostly the players, his fellow coaching staff, and the fans. He doesn't much like talking about himself.

Maybe the board have already tabled an offer, but nobody knows because he's not said anything (wouldn't suprise me, really). It's quite possible. I think the board would be more eager to announce him as the new manager than he himself would. That way the board get all the glory and Kelly just gets on with his job as if nothing happened :thumbup:

If I'm honest, I'm expecting an announcement at the Plymouth game. I think it's one of these things that they want to make public in front of the fans, like when we came out of administration. Give us all something to cheer about!

Archived