Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
C-man

Ginger bolocks

If you want to see Sturrock and Gradi as successful, that's your beef. I personally don't see either as successful. I would want to see more for my money. For example, in this division I would see a play-off place as a success, especially for clubs the size of Leicester and Cov. Staying in this league by the skin of your teeth is not.

I don't think you could argue with what Gradi has done at Crewe, Sturrock yes as Sheff Wed are a massive club in comparison and have the capablities of premiership football. Crewe are no bigger than most League One/League Two clubs and the fact he's managed to produce so many top quality players over the years, plus play relatively attractive football and keep them in the championship for several seasons is impressive in this situation. But that's Crewe's situation not ours or Coventry's, Coventry are still capable of promotion and a good manager could do that for them.

I don't think you could argue with what Gradi has done at Crewe, Sturrock yes as Sheff Wed are a massive club in comparison and have the capablities of premiership football. Crewe are no bigger than most League One/League Two clubs and the fact he's managed to produce so many top quality players over the years, plus play relatively attractive football and keep them in the championship for several seasons is impressive in this situation. But that's Crewe's situation not ours or Coventry's, Coventry are still capable of promotion and a good manager could do that for them.

I think success should be judged differently i each case, i personally didn't expect Cov to finisher higher than say 15th and the fact that they are exceeding says to me Adams has had a successful year but the thing with Adams's ageing teams, is that as each year that goes by, is a year closer to retierment. Can you see Wise and Hutchison being as influential next year? I doubt it.

@ Lisa:

Indeed, success is all relative. When Mickey took over at Cov, they were languishing down at the bottom of the table and were serious contenders for relegation in all honesty. He has made them a solid unit, especially at home (sounds familiar), and much of that is undoubtedly down to him. Iain Dowies Palace had a fortunate run when they reached the playoffs, but their squad was miles stronger than Cov's so reaching a top half position from the position Cov were in, MUST be seen as success! As Ric has stated as well, Gradi has done a commendable job at Crewe and very few would disagree with that.

Dead right mate. Written off as a team of no-hopers with a nobody manager. So, it can be done FNQ.

Yes I agree, Micky should have got Coventry promoted. And kept Leicester in the Premiership.

He's a great manager, not a miracle worker (i.e. Boothroyd).

@ Lisa:

Indeed, success is all relative. When Mickey took over at Cov, they were languishing down at the bottom of the table and were serious contenders for relegation in all honesty. He has made them a solid unit, especially at home (sounds familiar), and much of that is undoubtedly down to him. Iain Dowies Palace had a fortunate run when they reached the playoffs, but their squad was miles stronger than Cov's so reaching a top half position from the position Cov were in, MUST be seen as success! As Ric has stated as well, Gradi has done a commendable job at Crewe and very few would disagree with that.

For me though, success would have seen Gradi move on and prove his worth at a higher level. He's managed to unearth lads who have gone on to bigger and better things, and I think the fact that these players have moved on says something, don't you? That's not belittling Gradi, that's just telling it like it is.

On a similar note, I would say Mourinho wasn't successful at Chelski. He may find the Premiership easier, but until he's won the Champions League with them........yadda yadda yadda

No, and it would be unfair to judge him with someone else's squad, and part way through the season. I would prefer to see what happens in the summer before making any assumptions etc.

For me though, success would have seen Gradi move on and prove his worth at a higher level. He's managed to unearth lads who have gone on to bigger and better things, and I think the fact that these players have moved on says something, don't you? That's not belittling Gradi, that's just telling it like it is.

On a similar note, I would say Mourinho wasn't successful at Chelski. He may find the Premiership easier, but until he's won the Champions League with them........yadda yadda yadda

But thats not success, that's ambition. Gradi is the longest-serving manager currently in League football. Maybe he's just a very loyal person that enjoys working with limited ressources and developing youngsters, because he knows thats what he's good at. You make it sound like someone only has success when he or she performs above his or her ability. And obviously success can be measured on varying scales, but Gradi, being at Crewe, for what, 20 years? He can be very satisfied with his career there. They just don't have the potential to do better and he obviously feels at home there.

I think Paul Sturrock has done a great job at Sheff Wed. He inhereted a weak team languishing in League 1 under Chris Turner and took them through the playoffs to the Championship. Now, with very little money (eg they wanted Hume but 'apparently' he came here because of better money), he's kept the club up with 3 games to go. I saw them against Wolves in December and thought they were bound to go down, but all credit to him for keeping them up.

kelly this season with lcfc = success

adams with cov = success (good home record and finished above expected position)

wolves this season = failure

sheff wed this season = success

hull this season = success

millwall this season = failure

success isnt just about promotion and winning cup its finishing better then expected, when kelly tookover who would have thought we would already be safe at this point, most of us thought it would be down to the last game of the season.

But thats not success, that's ambition. Gradi is the longest-serving manager currently in League football. Maybe he's just a very loyal person that enjoys working with limited ressources and developing youngsters, because he knows thats what he's good at. You make it sound like someone only has success when he or she performs above his or her ability. And obviously success can be measured on varying scales, but Gradi, being at Crewe, for what, 20 years? He can be very satisfied with his career there. They just don't have the potential to do better and he obviously feels at home there.
Success, to me, indicates achievement. Whilst there are a lot of managers who are obviously good what they do (Gradi being one), I wouldn't class them as being successful, purely because sitting on your laurels and taking the easy option does not bring success.

A mechanic mends a few cars, does this make him successful, or just good at his job?

Maybe I have a higher standard than most. If so, I apologise now.

Archived