Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tedray

home advantage

John Goddard of the University of Wales has shown that in a typical week there are about 45% home wins and only about 27% away wins. Thirty years ago there were 50% home and only 21% aways. Interestingly, the further the away team has to travel, the worse they do.

Why is this? Do the teams get travel weary? Do fewer fans travel long distance, so provide less encouragement? Is this why local derbies seem to result in draws? Have tactics changed over thirty years? If so, could City adopt different tactics to improve their away results? Perhaps travel has become less stressful since the '70s and takes less out of the players?

My first post, so apologies if I havn't followed the right protocols.

Ted.

The further they go, the less fans want to travel..to have a few thousand supporters obviously helps build the confidence for the side; therefore the time get results.

On another note, I think LCFC should pay for the coachers to away games for fans every away game.

On another note, I think LCFC should pay for the coachers to away games for fans every away game

I think that could be a little extreme, perhaps a better subsidy for fans wanting to travel officially. But in the financial situation we are in I just don't think that it would be a good idea.

I think that could be a little extreme, perhaps a better subsidy for fans wanting to travel officially. But in the financial situation we are in I just don't think that it would be a good idea.

It could only be considered good business sense in cup matches where we get a share of the gate, even then i think it would be silly unless a one off.

John Goddard of the University of Wales has shown that in a typical week there are about 45% home wins and only about 27% away wins. Thirty years ago there were 50% home and only 21% aways. Interestingly, the further the away team has to travel, the worse they do.

Why is this? Do the teams get travel weary? Do fewer fans travel long distance, so provide less encouragement? Is this why local derbies seem to result in draws? Have tactics changed over thirty years? If so, could City adopt different tactics to improve their away results? Perhaps travel has become less stressful since the '70s and takes less out of the players?

My first post, so apologies if I havn't followed the right protocols.

Ted.

:welcome:

I think it's psychological, teams and fans think it's going to be harder to win away, giving a distinct disadvantage to start off with?

welcome and good topic

the only reason other than already stated that i can think of is, the condition of the home playing surface texture etc as to how the ball travels , the home team would be more familiar, think of the advantage gained when luton had astroturf and they seemed almost impossible to beat at home ; it might seem minor but but at a very high level minor differences can be important.

It can sometimes be a number of small factors which amount to one big advantage for the home team.

Lisa is right in saying it's psychological. Teams playing at home are encouraged to take the game to the opposition, otherwise the fans wouldn't be happy. If the fans are not happy, they're not likely to turn up (except the hardcore base), pressure is then placed on the manager and so on.

That's perhaps one of the factors why there is a difference, but it's a general one, and it obviously varies from team to team.

Welcome to the forum, Tedray. :thumbup:

Several factors I would think,

The familarity with your own stadium and surroundings would help but also the home crowd harrassing the ref (which is not a bad thing).

I read somewhere that home teams generally concede less penalties, have less players sent off and have less bookings than their opponents so, however a ref tries to be impartial it's only human nature to try to protect yourself from any unnecessary abuse. Surely this is the only explaination as to why Man U and others have conceded so few penalties at home.

On another note, I think LCFC should pay for the coachers to away games for fans every away game.

I think it would be a good gesture to do it for one a season like west brom do but I dont see why thet should do it for every game. Not like the club is made of money!

Several factors I would think,

The familarity with your own stadium and surroundings would help but also the home crowd harrassing the ref (which is not a bad thing).

I read somewhere that home teams generally concede less penalties, have less players sent off and have less bookings than their opponents so, however a ref tries to be impartial it's only human nature to try to protect yourself from any unnecessary abuse. Surely this is the only explaination as to why Man U and others have conceded so few penalties at home.

Yeah that, and the size of the pitch. And the players get an extra hour in bed while they dont have to travel hence get extra nookie, hence are more motivated :op. Just a theory...

It can sometimes be a number of small factors which amount to one big advantage for the home team.

Lisa is right in saying it's psychological. Teams playing at home are encouraged to take the game to the opposition, otherwise the fans wouldn't be happy. If the fans are not happy, they're not likely to turn up (except the hardcore base), pressure is then placed on the manager and so on.

That's perhaps one of the factors why there is a difference, but it's a general one, and it obviously varies from team to team.

Welcome to the forum, Tedray. :thumbup:

Thanks for the nice welcome.

I agree that the home side feels obliged to attack, but what fascinates me is that if this is a winning strategy, why doesn't the away team try it as well? We tried it at school, (the Gateway), many years ago and lost most of our away matches. Mind you, we lost most of our home matches too, so we didn't prove much either way.

Hi Ted! haven't seen you on the tele for about 35 years :D

whoosh, straight over the top of everybody's head!

I'll get me coat :ph34r:

no thats who i thought of as well / wasn't he the mr nice guy judge on NEW FACES to mickey most who was the simon cowell of the 70s

i think this is a big sporting mystery that has never really been solved. i think what lisa said about psycology isnt far from the truth , heres an example

euro 2004 play offs

scotland 1 holland 0

holland 6 scotland 0

it was still 11 vs 11 in both games surely crowd and surroundings dont make that much different

Archived