Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Breen In

MAybe Kelly doesn't rate him then. Therefore Breen in...

nah gerrbrand has just been poor, injuries have disrupted his season so he lost form, a solid pre-season and he'll be the player he was when he 1st got in the team

nah gerrbrand has just been poor, injuries have disrupted his season so he lost form, a solid pre-season and he'll be the player he was when he 1st got in the team

he has also been in full time training since December 2004!!

it was his mid season when we signed him after a rest in the summer we may well see his true promise come next season

I know we can't defend / attack corners, even with 4 centrebacks in the team but,

Stearman

McCarthy

Kisnorbo

Gerrbrand

Johansson

McCaully ?

Breen ?

how many Centrebacks do we need?

1 more. We cant just keep relying on Gerrbrand to fill in when one of the 'big two' get suspended or injured, because he might be injured or suspended, so relying on just one player is too risky I feel.

You could say that Nissa Johanson could go into the centre back role, like he did yesterday, but then I am not for Maybury playing in left-back (that reminds me of the Levein days! :cry: ) and Kelly doesnt seem to be pro-Sheehan so, I feel, one more centre-back needed.

1 more. We cant just keep relying on Gerrbrand to fill in when one of the 'big two' get suspended or injured, because he might be injured or suspended, so relying on just one player is too risky I feel.

You could say that Nissa Johanson could go into the centre back role, like he did yesterday, but then I am not for Maybury playing in left-back (that reminds me of the Levein days! :cry: ) and Kelly doesnt seem to be pro-Sheehan so, I feel, one more centre-back needed.

I think you've just put in an argument for left backs not centre backs.

Can't see it happening myself.

The two Paddies have done enough to suggest that barring injuries and suspensions, they'll be the first choice centrebacks next season.

Breen'll also be on a fair whack at Sunderland and would presumably want a similar deal to move here.

I think there are better options with what little money we have to spend.

I agree - would be a backward step IMO, considering we need to strengthen in other areas.

I don't think Gerrbrand is geared up to playing in this league as a centreback. He's just far too weak aerially. If anything, I feel rightback would be his best position as he's good on the ball and has a bit of pace - similar to Stearman in that respect.

• 4 weeks later...

Now he has been officially released. :huh::unsure::whistle:

Source

Sunderland release defender Breen

Defender Gary Breen has been released by Sunderland

Republic of Ireland international defender Gary Breen is the latest player to be released by Sunderland.

Breen, 32, is the highest-profile casualty to date of the Black Cats' relegation from the Premiership.

Sunderland have offered new deals to Grant Leadbitter and Dan Smith, and exercised the year's option on striker Kevin Kyle's contract.

A permanent move to Burnley has also been agreed for striker Andy Gray, who ended the season on loan at Turf Moor.

Breen joined Sunderland on a free transfer from West Ham in August 2003, making 105 League appearances for the Black Cats.

Before his year at West Ham, Breen spent five years at Coventry. His previous clubs also include Birmingham, Peterborough and Gillingham.

Breen won 62 international caps for Ireland and played in the 2002 World Cup finals.

Suits me. I don't see many 30+ footballers on the way up and I'm not very keen on anyone that's on the way down. Especially with the likely cost (if they're any good) and the greater injury risks.

Probabley because they have already reached the potential abilty wise, watched Paulo Di Canio turn back the years couple of days ago. Absloutley magic, 38. I agree if the cost is too much don't buy them, you can pick decent players in their 30's up on frees. Mickys made a team out of them at Coventry, and finished higher then us :blink: Not saying we should do the same thing but some experince is needed.

Can someone now confirm that the "young and hungry" policy is now confined to history?

In recent weeks I've heard Mickey Adams being championed for his Dad's Army and calls for Izzett, Heskey, Lennon, everything but steam engines to return.

The reality is that our "young and hungry" policy has dramatically improved our situation because we did just as well in the League last year as previously but now have a squad worth significantly more money then when we ended last season - and with infinitely more potential, football wise and economically.

Trouble is no policy can be sustained without people getting faint hearts and it seems that both manager and fans are weakening.

Can someone now confirm that the "young and hungry" policy is now confined to history?

In recent weeks I've heard Mickey Adams being championed for his Dad's Army and calls for Izzett, Heskey, Lennon, everything but steam engines to return.

The reality is that our "young and hungry" policy has dramatically improved our situation because we did just as well in the League as last year but now have a squad worth significantly more money then when we ended last season - and with infinitely more potential, football wise and conomically.

Trouble is no policy can be sustained without people getting faint hearts and it seems that both manager and fans are weakening.

The team is full of 'Young and Hungry' players, that was Levein and Rob Kelly's aim to lower the age of the squad. They did that dramatically and we have some value and quality in our side now. We do lack some experienced leaders in our squad but they must be the right sort of players. Thracian, don't be scared by these sorts of players, they can be valuable.

I'm not advocating an influx of older players here but we do need an experienced head out there especially in midfield that isn't called Danny Tiatto. We will only be signing 2 or 3 players so i'm calling for one of them to drive us forward when the going gets tough ala Izzet.

I am not against having any experienced players.

But:

a) If you play young players they get experience (and if you don't - however gradually - they don't ever become experienced).

b) I don't believe that injury prone players - especially older ones - suddenly become sportingly healthy.

c) My idea of an experienced assett encompasses quality, commitment and sustainability. Tiatto had one of those qualities last season, commitment, but even then it was often ill-applied.

However if there is a genuinely good, reliable, enthuastic midfielder plus one other who has the personality to lift and inspire young players, fine. I'm all ears.

But you're right. People like Brevett showing up did frighten me. Unlike many others, I actually saw him play for the Reserves and it was something I would love to have quickly forgotten.

I also watched most of Tiatto's contributions and (rather like Hughes) hoped week on week that he would suddenly shine and inspire (as Kisnorbo did, for instance). But he didn't.

And if it didn't happen last season why will anything change next year?

That was not what Kelly was implying recently but anything's possible and if either are sold then it will be a a healthy profit. In which case surely they would follow the same signing policy again not go for a fading centre-back from relegated Sunderland who will never appreciate in value. What's the point? Haven't we signed enough non-appreciating assets (journeymen is perhaps a better description) in recent years to put people off the policy for life? It is the kiss of death for a football club.

I was a little perturbed to see this rumour had been resurrected.

We already have plenty of cover at centre-back. Gary Breen is therefore not a player we need right now.

But I'm sure he'll land a deal at some club in this league, probably Cov, since their manager has an eye for older players..

I don't think Breen's an option. Brevett was a one-off - I don't think we'll be raiding the Darby and Joan Club too often.

Fans of youth development - panic not. Kelly was given a specific brief last season to get us out of the mire. He did that rather well, albeit in a very pragmatic, non-risk-taking fashion.

That was then, and this is now. He's joined us from a successful youth set-up. I think he'll see the way forward for City. It won't be Gary Breen.

I don't like the idea of Breen coming but we do have problems at centre half even if people won't acknowledge them, we give far to many goals away from free kicks and corners, this needs sorting as a priority.

Archived