Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Kelly Praises Fryatt

Leicester manager Rob Kelly lauded Matthew Fryatt as the ideal role model after the teenager struck the only goal of the game against Plymouth to ensure the Foxes ended the season at the Walkers Stadium on a high.

Fryatt scored his sixth goal in the 17 games he has played for City since his £350,000 arrival from Walsall.

And although future appearances and promotion to the Premiership could see the eventual fee rise to £750,000, the 19-year-old's move across the midlands is already looking a shrewd buy.

Fryatt's 56th-minute goal was one of the few bright sparks in an otherwise drab game.

Andy Welsh whipped in a cross from the left to the far post where Fryatt had drifted away from his marker to allow himself time and space to squeeze home a downward header between the keeper and the upright.

Little wonder he was given a standing ovation when substituted nine minutes from the end - Kelly later revealing he was brought off as a precaution after turning an ankle.

Kelly said: "Matty has identified heading as one of his weaknesses and he's now working so hard in training to improve on that. He's out there all hours, never mind the weather, to get it right.

"His all-round attitude and approach to his profession sets a great example to any youngster wanting to progress in the game."

One of the major tasks facing Kelly over the summer will be finding a replacement for City's player of the season, midfielder Joey Gudjonsson, who is moving to Dutch club AZ Alkmaar.

Kelly said: "I wish he was here next season because it's going to be very difficult to replace him."

And Kelly sounded a cautionary note to Foxes' fans about their prospects for next season.

"It will be very tough for us next season because the Sky TV parachute money will have gone. We will have to be prudent and creative to take the club forward.

"I would be foolish to make any predictions about top-six finishes. One thing we will have to do is work hard to maintain our ethos, spirit and ability."

Plymouth manager Tony Pulis was scathing of his defenders.

"Paul Connolly should have stopped the cross coming in and Lee Hodges was flat at the far post to let in Matty Fryatt for the goal."

And he insisted that Argyle were unfortunate not to leave the game with some reward.

He added: "I am very disappointed to lose. Vincent (Pericard) had two chances in the second half and he missed both and then Fryatt scores from just one chance.

"We had a right go here but that little bit of quality by Fryatt was all the difference."

The early exchanges in the game were scrappy with wayward passing and an inability by both sides to retain possession.

City produced the game's first moment of quality on 15 minutes when Iain Hume cleverly released Stephen Hughes to whip the ball across the face of goal with Fryatt only inches away.

Plymouth had to wait until midway through the first half for their first threat when former Fox Lilian Nalis touched a free-kick to Tony Capaldi whose 25-yard drive was comfortably dealt with by Paul Henderson.

There was precious little else to rouse the crowd before the break with the half-time whistle bringing temporary relief to a turgid affair.

But within moments of the restart, Henderson had to be fully alert to get his body behind a powerfully hit strike from David Norris.

Gareth Williams' long-range shot was then deflected for a corner which came to nothing before Hughes sliced a shot high and wide.

Then came the solo goal which was to prove the difference between the sides.

But shortly after taking the lead, poor defending saw City almost give away an almost instant equaliser when Richard Stearman's poor back header fell short of his keeper and only a last-ditch clearance from quick-thinking Nils-Eric Johansson prevented Pericard from nipping in to score.

Plymouth continued to push and probe to little effect with Leicester content to rely on the quick counter-attack.

And Hume went close twice as the game entered its final stages, first clipping a shot just over following a jinking run from almost halfway and then bringing out the best in Romain Larrieu with a stinging 25-yard drive.

He deserves all the praise he gets. :thumbup:

I cant really say he has been the one that saved us from relegation, but him upfront with Hume have played a big part.

I still wonder how levein thought de vries was better than hume, makes you laugh.

He'll leave next season, because I think i'm gonna get his name on next seasons shirt...so he'll leave no doubt.

I might get Fryatt..or just Matty and Fryatt number, I think i'd be safer getting Matty to be honest :unsure:

Matty Fryatt played brilliant yesterday, and my dad is still sticking with his prediction that he will play for England :rolleyes:

He's better than Heskey (He will be anyway if not already) but he will have the imput such as Heskey did..sad thing is he'll probably have to move to a bigger club before he gets a look in for England :rolleyes:

He's better than Heskey (He will be anyway if not already) but he will have the imput such as Heskey did..sad thing is he'll probably have to move to a bigger club before he gets a look in for England :rolleyes:

Rightly so, you can't pick someone for England on the basis that they've scored 6 in 17 against Championship sides.

Like it or not, you see what top class players can do when they're playing with other top class players against other top class players.. as it's the closest possible thing to international football.

What is a little frustrating is when someone like Dean Ashton can bang in the goals for Norwich and never get mentioned but as soon as West Ham sign him, without him even getting a game, he was being discussed as an England prospect.

The laughable examples are Nicky Butt and Phil Neville, constantly in the England squad when playing a bit part at Manchester United but as soon as they move away and get regular first team football, they're both forgotten men. I don't think either are good enough anyway, but it does show how much of an advantage playing for a 'big' and successful side is. Some of that can be justified in some ways, whilst in other ways, it cannot.

But getting back to Fryatt, let's hope he sticks with us next season, stays injury free and continues his good form. It's so important in this division to have at least 2 or 3 regular contributing goalscorers. Hume and Fryatt have shown a lot of promise for next season. As Rob Kelly has said, it could be a frustrating summer money-wise but we'll have to see what he can do.

Rightly so, you can't pick someone for England on the basis that they've scored 6 in 17 against Championship sides.

Like it or not, you see what top class players can do when they're playing with other top class players against other top class players.. as it's the closest possible thing to international football.

What is a little frustrating is when someone like Dean Ashton can bang in the goals for Norwich and never get mentioned but as soon as West Ham sign him, without him even getting a game, he was being discussed as an England prospect.

The laughable examples are Nicky Butt and Phil Neville, constantly in the England squad when playing a bit part at Manchester United but as soon as they move away and get regular first team football, they're both forgotten men. I don't think either are good enough anyway, but it does show how much of an advantage playing for a 'big' and successful side is. Some of that can be justified in some ways, whilst in other ways, it cannot.

But getting back to Fryatt, let's hope he sticks with us next season, stays injury free and continues his good form. It's so important in this division to have at least 2 or 3 regular contributing goalscorers. Hume and Fryatt have shown a lot of promise for next season. As Rob Kelly has said, it could be a frustrating summer money-wise but we'll have to see what he can do.

Thats exactly the point i'm trying to make.

Archived