Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Louise

Reserves Kicked Out

Reserve League Spell Comes To An End

Leicester City, along with a number of other Championship clubs, will not be included in the FA Premier Reserve League next season after it was announced on Wednesday that only teams with Premiership status would be eligible to compete in the competition.

The Foxes continued to ply their trade in the league following their relegation from the top-flight at the end of the 2003-04 campaign.

But the restructure now means that Leicester, along with other clubs such as Ipswich Town, Southampton, Wolves, Leeds United and Coventry City will be forced to look elsewhere for reserve team fixtures, as Club Secretary Andrew Neville confirmed.

He said: "The Premier League were concerned about the overplay of younger players [City's reserve team now consists of primarily under 18 players] and were keen to reduce the number of games played by each team, and therefore they have re-assessed the boundaries for qualification.

"We put a number of solutions forward, including introducing a Midlands section of the FA Premier Reserve League, or playing some teams twice and some just once in the Southern section in which we currently compete, but the Premier League decided against them.

"We are now looking at where we will play our reserve team football next season. There was the opportunity for us to enter the Pontins League, but that does not really satisfy our needs. We don't want, for example, for some players to be in the first team squad on a Tuesday and then have to travel to somewhere like Sunderland the following day. That happened to us this season when we played Portsmouth reserves the day after a first team fixture. We want to have the ability to control the number of matches we play, and where and when we play them - not to have this dictated to us.

"It is likely that we won't enter a league at all. Derby County withdrew this year and that has allowed them to organise competitive games at their training ground.

"The advantage of playing friendlies at the training ground is that it would allow us to play trialists, reduce travelling and help with player rehabilitation. We feel that it would be more appropriate to Championship clubs like ourselves who are likely to smaller squads in comparison to our Premiership counterparts. We can play when we want and we can play local teams.

"There are a number of local sides, including Derby County, Nottingham Forest and Coventry City, who are in the same boat as us.

"Effectively, it is highly likely that we will be organising our own reserve team matches as of next season."

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/...~822154,00.html

I'm not sure I like this at all.

Maybe the reserve team players who also qualify for the youth team squads will be playing more football there, pushing the promising young lads who are currently playing at a higher level back to their own age groups? Obviously a great way of helping our youngsters progress, I don't think.

But what does Phube think?

I agree with him.

lol What's with all this Phube lovin' going on?? I'm getting worried again!!! :cry:

As long as the youth/reserve team gets to play teams of a similar ability, then what's the problem? Especially if we can arrange it with other clubs for mutual benifit.

lol What's with all this Phube lovin' going on?? I'm getting worried again!!! :cry:

As long as the youth/reserve team gets to play teams of a similar ability, then what's the problem? Especially if we can arrange it with other clubs for mutual benifit.

Well, it seems as if we'll be going down the route of friendlies, which isn't really going to give the young lads the experience of something to play for (alright it's just the reserve league, but its still a competiton and I'm sure the coaches etc still care), which leads onto Lisa's point about young players being put back into the academy team now because that is a league system. Plus it'll probably be games during the day at the training ground, giving people less of a chance to see the reserves.

I also wonder whether we will be playing teams with reserves of similar ability, before we were competing with Spurs, Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham as well as other teams with good youth setups like Ipswich and Southampton. Now, apart from Derby and Forest (who have youth setups similar to our own) who are we going to find locally to offer the same test? Especially in friendlies. Lincoln? Mansfield? Chesterfield? Notts County? Hinckley? (I'm aware that academies and reserve team positions can be vastly different from the first team, but you can't say we'll benefit more from playing Notts County's reserves than we will from playing West Ham's).

Well, it seems as if we'll be going down the route of friendlies, which isn't really going to give the young lads the experience of something to play for (alright it's just the reserve league, but its still a competiton and I'm sure the coaches etc still care), which leads onto Lisa's point about young players being put back into the academy team now because that is a league system. Plus it'll probably be games during the day at the training ground, giving people less of a chance to see the reserves.

I also wonder whether we will be playing teams with reserves of similar ability, before we were competing with Spurs, Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham as well as other teams with good youth setups like Ipswich and Southampton. Now, apart from Derby and Forest (who have youth setups similar to our own) who are we going to find locally to offer the same test? Especially in friendlies. Lincoln? Mansfield? Chesterfield? Notts County? Hinckley? (I'm aware that academies and reserve team positions can be vastly different from the first team, but you can't say we'll benefit more from playing Notts County's reserves than we will from playing West Ham's).

Play at goals instead

I did tell you all about this weeks ago.. . . :):P

Well just to let you guys know, we're being booted out of the reserve league next season as we are not a premier league side, so the reserves will have to arrange friendlys to play in.

Cov have got a great youth team set up - haven't they got a couple of players less than 30??

Why don't we make a reserve league with teams outside the premiership that are no to far to travel to?

I suggest these teams should be included

Leicester

Cov

Forest

Derby

Northampton

MK Dons

Ipswich

Norwich

Luton

Sheffield Wednesday

Watford (if they don't go up)

Peterborough Utd

Woves

West Brom

Birmingham

Probably some more teams as well. Or just arrange friendlies to fill in the gap

I'm sure there are enough quality teams in the midlands to form a worthwhile alternative.

I fully agree about a viable number of Midlands clubs for a seperate Reserves League - there's us, Coventry, Derby, Wolves, Stoke, Forest, probably Birmingham and West Brom (unless they've been given a special 'dispensation' to say in the Premier Reserve League ?!) and you could even include (Championship and League 1 ?) clubs in or 'near' the Midlands - Northampton (assuming they go up), Port Vale, Crewe, Norwich, Luton, MK Dons etc. Can't believe City are considering just having the occasional 'ad hoc' Reserves game !

I think the reason our youngsters are coming on so much is that they're playing competitive and challenging football in the Premier Reserve League. More then just the league system i'm guessing it must still be a buzz for some of them to be playing top teams (and often top players who are dropped/unfit/coming back or whatever) in games that matter for something.

It's true that we have more flexibility this way but it's going to be harder for young players coming through who have only been involved in friendlies all season...and that's what we use our reserves for much more then anything else.

I reckon he's trying to sweet talk you into getting a fondle of your udders :whistle:

It is a shame, but let's remember that the majority of the reserve players play every saturday for the academy and it can be detrimental to their careers playing too many matches, the academy and reserve coaches have had to be very careful on how many games they allow the players to play.

Having said that, we've had a very successful academy season and playing all these reserve games haven't harmed them. I hope this won't harm them either.

Archived