Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

Matt Le Tissier

Brilliant find. :)

Le Tiss was just an amazingly gifted player. Infuriating at times, as well. Whilst it was admirable that he stayed with Saints, you have to wonder what he might have gone on to do in the game if, say, Man Utd had bought him instead of Cantona.

It's the old cliche, but you would pay the entrance money just to see him play.

I've got a full length video of his best goals and there's loads more to match those. The bloke was awesome. Probably wouldn't get in a team today because he didn't charge all over the field wasting his energy and certainly wouldn't get in the Leicester set up because he never really did more work than necessary. :whistle:

He just did what he was good at - probably as well as any Englishman I've seen. He'd have put a few hundred bums back on seats for sure. A sharp end Glen Hoddle but with goals galore as well as passes.

Made the ball talk really. Every kind of goal from every angle and every distance with his head, with either foot, on the floor, on the volley. Footballing elegance personified but effective with it. Invariably looked as if he was simply there to put a show on.

They'd call him a poser now but he sometimes used to score more goals in a week than all our wingers combined in a season and if he didn't score he'd be laying on clever, inch-perfect passes for someone else and Southampton played football then which would make their present team weep with embarrassment.

Often used wide as well as centrally he didn't play enough for England because he never was a system freak. He was just bloody brilliant and could make an opportunity from next to nothing.

Thank God he never played in our Reserves. Too slow, too lazy, not bothered much about defending, forever moving out of position, too fancy for his own good, who's place would he take?.

Reality is that some players hurry and scurry because they can only dream of ever playing like him. That film ought to be set viewing for prospective wingers/strikers and I know who I'd like it sent to first.

I've got a full length video of his best goals and there's loads more to match those. The bloke was awesome. Probably wouldn't get in a team today because he didn't charge all over the field wasting his energy and certainly wouldn't get in the Leicester set up because he never really did more work than necessary. :whistle:

He just did what he was good at - probably as well as any Englishman I've seen. He'd have put a few hundred bums back on seats for sure. A sharp end Glen Hoddle but with goals galore as well as passes.

Made the ball talk really. Every kind of goal from every angle and every distance with his head, with either foot, on the floor, on the volley. Footballing elegance personified but effective with it. Invariably looked as if he was simply there to put a show on.

They'd call him a poser now but he sometimes used to score more goals in a week than all our wingers combined in a season and if he didn't score he'd be laying on clever, inch-perfect passes for someone else and Southampton played football then which would make their present team weep with embarrassment.

He didn't play enough for England because he never was a system freak. He was just bloody brilliant and could make an opportunity from next to nothing.

Thank God he never played in our Reserves. Too slow, too lazy, not bothered much about defending, forever moving out of position, too fancy for his own good, who's place would he take?.

Reality is that some players hurry and scurry because they can only dream of ever playing like him. That film ought to be set viewing for prospective wingers and I know who I'd like it sent to first.

The man was a footballing genius but you have used his talent to have yet another set of cheap shots at City.

Nice one.

The man was a footballing genius but you have used his talent to have yet another set of cheap shots at City.

Nice one.

Not really. I'd just like some of that proper football to come back to City and I doubt it ever will with the attitudes which prevail today, not just at Leicester but at so many other places.

I suppose I'm hoping that imaginative footballers come back into fashion but money and fear are the enemies and, sadly there are not many Wengers to lead the way style-wise.

I am sorry that you'll never get me to accept the sort of football being served up right now. Basically we have the stage but too few storytellers...and Le Tissier was a storyteller to leave anyone spellbound.

Am I so wrong to want the balance readjusted?.

People like Le Tissier used to come to Leicester regularly and we've had our own outstanding entertainers like Frank Worthington, Derek Dougan, Davie Gibson, Lenny Glover, Keith Weller et al.

Is it so wrong to want a team generously laced with players who can pass and shoot again?. Surely it's simple enough.

The search for players is on right now. The kind of players we go for is important because we won't quickly get another chance to put some butter on the bread.

And I suppose I've drawn the comparison between Le Tissier and City today because so many people talk about Leicester never having been a big club, or a club of note, and seem to believe the footballing fare of our recent years has always been the standard and is the best we can manage or afford. It's not.

To illustrate that fact I drew attention to our wingers because our product from that department is woeful and that is not how it needs or has to be.

Let today's fans have a look at that Le Tissier video - because that's the kind of football we used to get and which I'd love us to work towards again.

Such people weren't myths or illusions. That's what the managers wanted from attacking players - people who were so lethal they were a nighmare to mark - not people who knackered themselves racing back all the time. Others did the defensive work and they could pass too.

You might put up with today's status quo but my view is if you don't ask you don't get. And it takes time to get through to people at Leicester City. So long it cost Levein his job.

Now, in Rob Kelly, we have a new tailor but still too many of the team are wearing the same clothes ... mostly overalls instead of something that makes a statement appropriate to their workplace. And that's my point really. Le Tissier made a statement. He made football thrilling instead of dogged.

great player, he never really got given a chance for england did he.

shame about his taste in music. his choices for 3 stuck on the moon CD's included

mysterious girl - peter andre

i am the one and only etc.. - i think it was chesney hawkes

Brilliant find. :)

Le Tiss was just an amazingly gifted player. Infuriating at times, as well. Whilst it was admirable that he stayed with Saints, you have to wonder what he might have gone on to do in the game if, say, Man Utd had bought him instead of Cantona.

It's the old cliche, but you would pay the entrance money just to see him play.

i remember a five live interview with him just after he stopped playing, and the interviewer asked about his (criminal) lack of england caps and (i think it was graham taylor) said he wouldn't play him because of his lack of tracking back and tackling. to this le tiss simply said: 'well you don't play a goal keeper to score you goals do you?' and he was spot on. he'd've got 100+ caps for brazil etc

That's an awesome video. Yep, players like Le Tissier are hard to find these days, for two major reasons:

a) He played his entire career at Southampton, that's what I call loyalty

b) He had both a brilliant left and right foot and was said to have had a killer corner kick scoring ability in his youth days - he was also good at free kicks, if I'm not mistaken.

c) He seemed like a decent, humble chap to me

Overall, one of the most dangerous (& complete) scoring machines in recent English football history.

What I noticed was the way he treated the ball. He always seemed to have lifted it up a bit only to kick it very swiftly. Great control.

he always said that he liked being a big fish in a small pond.

I think he was tempted to move at times but in Southampton he had business interests, was close to his Channel Island roots, was a hero to the fans, played in an attacking team, was well enough paid and when it came to the crunch he didn't see the point or need to move. Who's to say he was wrong? Sean Wright-Phillips, for example, moved to Chelsea, presumably to further his career as well as his bank balance, and a lot of good it seems to have done him. As is demonstrated year on year, the grass is not always greener...

I think he was tempted to move at times but in Southampton he had business interests, was close to his Channel Island roots, was a hero to the fans, played in an attacking team, was well enough paid and when it came to the crunch he didn't see the point or need to move. Who's to say he was wrong? Sean Wright-Phillips, for example, moved to Chelsea, presumably to further his career as well as his bank balance, and a lot of good it seems to have done him. As is demonstrated year on year, the grass is not always greener...

Indeed not, certain players ( Parker, Bridge, SWP, ) are prime examples. The Chelski fooks have also signed just about every promising player in League one/two. Im not entirely sure when they're going to get a chance either. With Jose spending 80 mil a summer on wolrd class players aged 23-30 ( in their prime ) I'd guess it wont be any time soon.

Were as I do slighty agree with you on your above statement about Le Tisser's class not being enough for city fans as he doesn't run enough; alot of us do like our players to get stuck in :D . You have to remember techincally he was one of the most gifted players of his generation, if not any generation. To think we wouldnt sign a player of his calibre if had the chance because of doesnt get stuck in enough is a bit silly really isn't it. Its due to lack of reasources. No doubt you think we have the next Matt Le Cantona in the youth system somewhere though. :D

back on subject some of those goals are just fantastic and there is no one in the Prem at the moment who can find the top corner like Le Tis. One of the best volleyers of the ball in recent years as well. I used to love that bloke when I was growing up, :D one man highlight reel.

Indeed not, certain players ( Parker, Bridge, SWP, ) are prime examples. The Chelski fooks have also signed just about every promising player in League one/two. Im not entirely sure when they're going to get a chance either. With Jose spending 80 mil a summer on wolrd class players aged 23-30 ( in their prime ) I'd guess it wont be any time soon.

Were as I do slighty agree with you on your above statement about Le Tisser's class not being enough for city fans as he doesn't run enough; alot of us do like our players to get stuck in :D . You have to remember techincally he was one of the most gifted players of his generation, if not any generation. To think we wouldnt sign a player of his calibre if had the chance because of doesnt get stuck in enough is a bit silly really isn't it. Its due to lack of reasources. No doubt you think we have the next Matt Le Cantona in the youth system somewhere though. :D

back on subject some of those goals are just fantastic and there is no one in the Prem at the moment who can find the top corner like Le Tis. One of the best volleyers of the ball in recent years as well. I used to love that bloke when I was growing up, :D one man highlight reel.

I was being tongue in cheek about his not being wanted :):):)

I do think there's too much emphasis today on tackling back and charging about (as opposed to encouraging people to do what they're good at) but I am quite sure the City fans would soon have forgiven him anything once they'd seen a few of his goals - and assists to match. They liked Frank Worthington well enough.

Even if the manager had reservations (as he might because I'm not sure he goes much for individuals) the ticket office personnel would be all smiles.

And I'd have had no doubts about renewing my season ticket. :):)

The Chelski fooks have also signed just about every promising player in League one/two.

It's gotta change now tho hasn't it?

With Wright-Phillips missing out on the England squad I guess any player with half a brain is going to realise now that you need to be playing to get a chance... (err, as long as you discount Walcott!)

The question for the future will be will we ever see such dedication to a club again in the face of some great offers to leave?

It's gotta change now tho hasn't it?

With Wright-Phillips missing out on the England squad I guess any player with half a brain is going to realise now that you need to be playing to get a chance... (err, as long as you discount Walcott!)

The question for the future will be will we ever see such dedication to a club again in the face of some great offers to leave?

I've got no idea to be honest. It seems quite obvious they are going to need to be world class to break through, and seeing as they are signing them at a rate of about five a season, the policy is obviosult " well he may be good he may not, bah if we nick em for 200,000 they will probabley sell for double that at least, and its not like the immediate cash flow is a problem"

Also these players seems dumb enough to go to Chelsea and I dont see how thats going to change, At the end of the day if they sign for Chelsea they have made it in their eyes, and again the worst that can happen is they will be sold on to a low premier league/championship club.

What has to change is the FA's policy if anything.

That Matt Le Tissier got me into trouble many years ago

At the Muratti cup final (Annual Channel Islands cup competition) Jersey V Guernsey - MLT was playing for Guernsey and so were 2 or 3 of his brothers

I started up a chant of Le Tissiers a wánker and was promptly wrestled to the ground by a friendly neighbourhood policeman who was kind enough to whisper in my ear - one more word from you and I'll march you off to the van for a good kicking and a night in the cells

That Matt Le Tissier got me into trouble many years ago

At the Muratti cup final (Annual Channel Islands cup competition) Jersey V Guernsey - MLT was playing for Guernsey and so were 2 or 3 of his brothers

I started up a chant of Le Tissiers a wánker and was promptly wrestled to the ground by a friendly neighbourhood policeman who was kind enough to whisper in my ear - one more word from you and I'll march you off to the van for a good kicking and a night in the cells

When it comes to good stories, you're the man!

Archived