Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Izzet career nearing the end

From Skysports http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=39...nearing+the+end

The footballing career of Birmingham City midfielder Muzzy Izzet may be at an end.

The Turkey international struggled last season with knee and hamstring problems and those injury battles look to have brought his playing career to a close.

The former Chelsea and Leicester City player has a year left on his contract at St Andrews, but Blues are thought to be seeking an amicable termination of his deal in the near future.

Izzet's agent Jonathan Barnett confirmed the 31-year-old looks set to hang up his boots.

"Muzzy's career could be over," Barnett said in the News of the World.

I think if he applied himself he could still play another few seasons what do you guys think ?

The footballing career of Birmingham City midfielder Muzzy Izzet may be at an end.

The Turkey international struggled last season with knee and hamstring problems and those injury battles look to have brought his playing career to a close.

The former Chelsea and Leicester City player has a year left on his contract at St Andrews, but Blues are thought to be seeking an amicable termination of his deal in the near future.

Izzet's agent Jonathan Barnett confirmed the 31-year-old looks set to hang up his boots.

I think if he applied himself he could still play another few seasons what do you guys think ?

This is good news.......

........................if only to put a stop to the numerous threads started on here every week about us signing him :rolleyes:

If you've got an injury that by continuing to play on could ruin your future quality of life then application doesn't come into it.

Besides which it's pretty insulting to Muzzy to suggest that he isn't applying himself.

When your knees are knackered it takes more than application to play 38/46 games a season.

And the more application, the worse your knees get. Some players (centre-backs mostly) manage to keep on with f'd cartilage in their knees but for others the reduced training and the lack of acceleration/turning mean it's time to hang up the boots.

Especially given the job Muzzy was asked to do for us in the MON and Adams years.

Best wishes to him for whatever he does in the future, if he does have to call it a day..

Perhaps we could use him to help our young side by asking Muz to coach our midfield ????

Why? Just because he's played for us in the past!

I wish him all the best and say thanks for the memories, but we owe him nothing and he's not exactly short of a few bob.

I also read that he has a problem with his achilles. A good decision if its going to affect life after football. :(:(

Perhaps the club will do something to commemorate his career? :worship:

I wish him all the best and say thanks for the memories, but we owe him nothing and he's not exactly short of a few bob.

Yup, i bet he's got a 5mil in his bank.

I also read that he has a problem with his achilles. A good decision if its going to affect life after football. :(:(

Perhaps the club will do something to commemorate his career? :worship:

Maybe give him a kind of testemonial game or something?

Sad to hear this but, as people have said, it's more important for Muzzy to look after himself and make sure he has a good quality of life after he quits.

Financially he has very little reason to continue playing, it's just his love of the game which will make him want to carry on but he'll know what's best for his body. Craig Levein is a prime example of a former footballer who is still struggling from injuries he picked up in his playing days. I think he actually had another operation on his knee whilst he was manager here and used to struggle going up and down the slight hill there is at Belvoir drive between the two main pitches. He was one of the people who suggested Matt Elliott should retire when he did to ensure his quality of life after football was good.

I think Muzzy will retire and hopefully we'll see him at lots of Leicester games next season in the stands because I'm pretty sure we still hold a big place in his heart.

Sad to hear this but, as people have said, it's more important for Muzzy to look after himself and make sure he has a good quality of life after he quits.

Financially he has very little reason to continue playing, it's just his love of the game which will make him want to carry on but he'll know what's best for his body. Craig Levein is a prime example of a former footballer who is still struggling from injuries he picked up in his playing days. I think he actually had another operation on his knee whilst he was manager here and used to struggle going up and down the slight hill there is at Belvoir drive between the two main pitches. He was one of the people who suggested Matt Elliott should retire when he did to ensure his quality of life after football was good.

I think Muzzy will retire and hopefully we'll see him at lots of Leicester games next season in the stands because I'm pretty sure we still hold a big place in his heart.

Saw this topic and was about to post a similar sort of thing, can't think of anything to add except to say what a player and what a great bloke. I really hope he can deal with this ok, it's a young age really to have to retire.

Well he's also got a year left on his £34,500 p/w contract, which will cost brum at least 750,000 to terminate.

No, not just because he played for us in the past and not because I feel sorry for him or because he needs a bob or two.

Mainly because Muzzy was a committed, attacking midfielder who was a major major part of the most successful era of our club. He was a player that came to the club as a young man with a point to prove, with a hunger to succeed much like the profile of many of the lads currently at the club.

That ok ?

No, not just because he played for us in the past and not because I feel sorry for him or because he needs a bob or two.

Mainly because Muzzy was a committed, attacking midfielder who was a major major part of the most successful era of our club. He was a player that came to the club as a young man with a point to prove, with a hunger to succeed much like the profile of many of the lads currently at the club.

That ok ?

That's put me in my place :blush::P:thumbup:

Archived