Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Our current squad

...cause this quote from the Foxes Trust elsewhere suggests we're about done on the transfer front - "There may be one further addition or two at most, but wouldn't expect anymore than that".

Are YOU happy with the current squad?

I'm a bit concerned. Mainly because I don't think the signings made so far add much quality to our squad for us to push forwards. Other than Johnson, to me they seem to have been signed out of desperation to add competition for places in those areas. I think the midfield is still looking shambolic and the left back remains a major concern. We have two great young strikers but no decent backup. <_<

Kelly has a great bunch of young players to build a top 6 team this season. I won't be content with another mid table finish.

(Disclaimer: Don't read if easily depressed)

I'm happy with most of the players we have, but I wouldn't say I was content with our squad. I certainly don't think we're heading for a top 6 finish (unless we get lucky), mid-table seems more likely (which I don't think is acceptable either). It's boring, but it isn't surprising that we've not really improved the squad much due to all the money stuff that has been shoved down our throats for the last X no. of years. To make a proper challenge I'd say we'd need another goalkeeper, a left back, a left winger and a striker - and we'd need for those not just to be free transfers but quality players.

I'm not talking up this division as I think it is average and will be again so this season, plenty of teams without quality all over the pitch manage to get into the playoffs somehow so there is always a chance, but those are the weaknesses I see in our team. If one or both of our main strikers get injured, I dread to think of what we'll do. And, I hate to say it, but it feels like it's only going to get worse from here on in, if we don't get promoted then how long before Hume....Fryatt...McCarthy etc. get signed up by other teams? Then we'll be in an even worse position...

Kelly must have a lot of faith in himself, and the club in him, if they think we'll make a promotion push as it stands.

The three signings probably cancel out the departures of Joey and Welsh which means any improvement is down to management, young players coming through (none expected from indications so far) and any additional signings (which there has to be but which don't sound likely).

Nothing has yet happened to stimulate season ticket sales potential but there remains hope if not a great deal of expectation.

Mid-table downwards seems logical and top 10 would be an achievement as it stands. However. the team spirit which can surround a young squad can be formidable and should not be underestimated.

Kelly must have a lot of faith in himself, and the club in him, if they think we'll make a promotion push as it stands.

The three signings probably cancel out the departures of Joey and Welsh which means any improvement is down to management, young players coming through (none expected from indications so far) and any additional signings (which there has to be but which don't sound likely).

Nothing has yet happened to stimulate season ticket sales potential but there remains hope if not a great deal of expectation.

Mid-table downwards seems logical and top 10 would be an achievement as it stands. However. the team spirit which can surround a young squad can be formidable and should not be underestimated.

Agree with that assessment.

I'm certainly not content, I hope Kelly hasn't forgotten that over 46 games it's unlikely that you can keep the same XI each game.

...cause this quote from the Foxes Trust elsewhere suggests we're about done on the transfer front - "There may be one further addition or two at most, but wouldn't expect anymore than that".

Are YOU happy with the current squad?

I'm a bit concerned. Mainly because I don't think the signings made so far add much quality to our squad for us to push forwards. Other than Johnson, to me they seem to have been signed out of desperation to add competition for places in those areas. I think the midfield is still looking shambolic and the left back remains a major concern. We have two great young strikers but no decent backup. <_<

Kelly has a great bunch of young players to build a top 6 team this season. I won't be content with another mid table finish.

i think the left back position is ok!!!

johansson is better there than at centre half and now is the time for sheehan to be blooded properly!!!

johnson was a good signing. he and wesolowski will be good for that combabtive midfield role then hughes and williams darting about elsewhere.

our defence is growing in stature. sheehan, maybury and the revelation of kisnorbo and then of course the underrated gerrbrand are able and can only improve.

the attack is , for once, looking exciting. i wouldnt include hammond or MDV in that statement.

as for where we finish. i'd like to see more consistent performances like the final 3rd of the season. then we can finish higher. finishing outside of the play offs wont surprise me and to be fair it wont bother me that much either. as long as we see progression in the team and the club dont start selling players for low fee's to pay off loans or debts then we'll be ok.

i certainly think we have the potential to reach the play offs but so do 23 other teams and realistically there are several in a much better position than leicester city to do so. however, who would have thought watford would be in the premiership now 12 months ago so it can be done.

i think the left back position is ok!!!

johansson is better there than at centre half and now is the time for sheehan to be blooded properly!!!

johnson was a good signing. he and wesolowski will be good for that combabtive midfield role then hughes and williams darting about elsewhere.

our defence is growing in stature. sheehan, maybury and the revelation of kisnorbo and then of course the underrated gerrbrand are able and can only improve.

the attack is , for once, looking exciting. i wouldnt include hammond or MDV in that statement.

as for where we finish. i'd like to see more consistent performances like the final 3rd of the season. then we can finish higher. finishing outside of the play offs wont surprise me and to be fair it wont bother me that much either. as long as we see progression in the team and the club dont start selling players for low fee's to pay off loans or debts then we'll be ok.

i certainly think we have the potential to reach the play offs but so do 23 other teams and realistically there are several in a much better position than leicester city to do so. however, who would have thought watford would be in the premiership now 12 months ago so it can be done.

:blink:

We look weak down the left side, and i'm not entirely convinced by the back up players commitment. We've got a lot to be excited about, some fantastic younsters i just hope Kelly can get us in and around the playoffs for most of the season, at least then we have signs of progression.

I have decided not to buy a season ticket just yet because of serious cash flow issues, but as ever will attempt to get to every game.

Not overly impressed with the signings thus far, it's going to be another winter of discontent I think (god im so pessimistic) but any improvement on last seasons position will be reasonably acceptable :( I just dont think we are going to set the league alight this season.

Prove me wrong please lads!

We need a lethal winger, someone who runs riot. I know that sounds like wishful thinking, but we need one on the left.

We have 6 or 7 quality players, but then is that enough to get out of this league?? (up not down) I think Kelly would have to work miracles and be very fortunate with injuries to continue the play-off type form we showed under him last season.

Let's face it: Last season, so many people believe we could make the cut, join the playoffs and move one league up. The abysmal first half of the season proved us all wrong (or most of us), because we had the belief (and MA's motto in our ears) that we could do it.

So, to be a bit more realistic, I'd love to see us do better and I think we can. The less heavy baggage before the start of a new season, the better. It looks positive.

:unsure: Well Johnson is a good signing, and the other signings at least will add so much needed depth. If we are signing one more player it really does need to be a left back or a winger. I expect us to kick on and finally make some improvement since our relegation and finally land a top half place to build upon next season. Which I bealive could be possible if the current squad is managed correctly. One thing I dont think we need is a striker, MDV as third/fourth choice really isnt that bad now is it? He did score goals last season.

As said before, I do hope R.K realises he cant play the same XI for 46 games straight, only changing for injuries and suspensions. One of two more players will be enough for us to have good squad depth , if certain reserve/youth team players are as good as they are hyped up to be. Lets hope he knows how to use his resources to best affect.

:blink:

take it you disagree with that comment there then!!!

this one, that Johansson is better at left back than centre back.

is our centre back pairing better with or without him in it?

without. he has less space around him at left back if he makes a mistake.

less space means better concentration too!!! for such a laid back character this can only bring out better

performances from him that why he is better at left back.

take it you disagree with that comment there then!!!

this one, that Johansson is better at left back than centre back.

is our centre back pairing better with or without him in it?

without. he has less space around him at left back if he makes a mistake.

less space means better concentration too!!! for such a laid back character this can only bring out better

performances from him that why he is better at left back.

Do you mean he is better at left-back than centre-back or do you mean there is no room at centre-back so you would accommodate him at left-back instead?

At the very least, we need a good left winger, and we would then have a good first team.

After that, probably in this order, I'd look for a left back, a keeper, a striker and a right winger.

Left winger is an absolute must have. We could do with a new first choice left back and keeper, the ones we've got are good enough as backup, possibly good enough if we have to stick with them though, and with strikers, beyond the first 2 I'd be a bit worried so we need backup(s), and possibly another right winger, but I don't know much about Josh Low, we possibly need backup to him, but unless we can get rid of Sylla, it won't happen.

Do you mean he is better at left-back than centre-back or do you mean there is no room at centre-back so you would accommodate him at left-back instead?

fez of the muzz - i feel he is a better left back than centre half. which is ironic because he isnt the quickest. his better performances were at left back for me

(Disclaimer: Don't read if easily depressed)

I'm happy with most of the players we have, but I wouldn't say I was content with our squad. I certainly don't think we're heading for a top 6 finish (unless we get lucky), mid-table seems more likely (which I don't think is acceptable either). It's boring, but it isn't surprising that we've not really improved the squad much due to all the money stuff that has been shoved down our throats for the last X no. of years. To make a proper challenge I'd say we'd need another goalkeeper, a left back, a left winger and a striker - and we'd need for those not just to be free transfers but quality players.

I'm not talking up this division as I think it is average and will be again so this season, plenty of teams without quality all over the pitch manage to get into the playoffs somehow so there is always a chance, but those are the weaknesses I see in our team. If one or both of our main strikers get injured, I dread to think of what we'll do. And, I hate to say it, but it feels like it's only going to get worse from here on in, if we don't get promoted then how long before Hume....Fryatt...McCarthy etc. get signed up by other teams? Then we'll be in an even worse position...

goalkeeper (AGREE) , a left back (KENTON), a left winger (WELSH) and a striker (JEFFERS) - and we'd need for those not just to be free transfers but quality players

We just need a left winger who can adapt to play at left back too as well as left wingback now. Hmmmmmmmmmmm a certain Jordan Stewart :P

On a serious note I'm sure there is plenty of time to find that missing ingredient.

Our defence is sorted, so is our Centre And right Midfield as well as our striker. I think people are being too pessimistic due to the last two seasons, going by the last 5 months of the season just gone, we are formidable at home and unlikely to get beaten and away we are pretty solid and can grind out wins at difficult places which we have not managed in the previous 1 and a half years in this dvision for example wins at the likes of Millwall, Brighton and Luton respectively.

goalkeeper (AGREE) , a left back (KENTON), a left winger (WELSH) and a striker (JEFFERS) - and we'd need for those not just to be free transfers but quality players

Why do people keep opting for Kenton at left back as far as I can see this not the case.

Highly-rated defender signed from Norwich City on a Bosman free transfer in May 2003. Prefers to play at right-back and has the pace and ability to push forward down the flanks, but is also comfortable in the centre of defence. A strong tackler who is confident in the air, Kenton spent six years at Carrow Road after joining the club as a trainee. Source

The only left back we have on our books is Sheehan, who's played not a handful of games.

Maybury, Johansson, Kisnorbo, Stearman amongst others have all proved to be inadequate to fill that role either defensively or offensively. Certainly not as a first choice. There is still a massive void down the left side of the pitch.

Why do people keep opting for Kenton at left back as far as I can see this not the case.

The only left back we have on our books is Sheehan, who's played not a handful of games.

Maybury, Johansson, Kisnorbo, Stearman amongst others have all proved to be inadequate to fill that role either defensively or offensively. Certainly not as a first choice. There is still a massive void down the left side of the pitch.

I would settle for Nissa at left back if we purchased a classy left winger who can give us maximum width and tom foolery on the left. If we don't get on of these then Nissa at left back is about as pleasing on the eye as orange sick.

Agree with your concerns about the left side. I suppose it depends whether Welsh is set to join us. He might be waiting on the new Sunderland manager. Kenton gives us a more mobile left back option that Nissa, but he may have avoided buying an out-and-out left back because of Sheehan. Kenton could also bring a bit of pace in the centre, and I'm sure he'll do no worse at right back than Maybury did when he played there. Ultimately the two defensive signings have given us more pace, strength and height at the back. Whether either of them are first choice or not remains to be seen and depends largely on whether we have any departures. The only other natural centre-back who doubles up as a half-decent right-back is Stearman (and, perhaps, Kisnorbo - either of which have been linked with relatively big money exits). But reading between the lines of what Davies and Kelly have said, I'd think it more likely that Gerrbrand or Maybury are on their way (remember 'we'll try to hang on to those that did the business last year'). If a first teamer does go, then it will only be in order to assist some serious squad building. On a personal note, I hope we don't have any more over 25s coming in now. We've got our experience, now let's stick to building a bright young squad which doesn't need over-hauling the second we (one day) win promotion.

There is no doubt we need strengthening down the left, because we haven't really got any left so presumably Kenton is the perceived answer.

Nils proved reliable enough but admits himself that he's no attacker.

Sheehan is by far our best attacking left back but I have my reservations about him attitude wise and as a defender.

Whether he will be given chance to return to his best remains to be seen (and with the signing of Kenton I doubt it) but I am convinced part of the reason was the way he was treated last season.

He was sound in the win over Wednesday, almost saved the game against Bolton but was exiled after his sending off against Crewe (something that never happened to anyone else who was sent off) and, quite apart from his subsequent injury, he was never himself afterwards.

There seems little doubt he found it hard to cope with his disappointments and although that is something else he needs to learn we seem to need someone on our staff who can help youngsters psychologically at such times (Ryan Smith was another who would probably have benefitted).

Not everyone is born with the perfect temperament - and that goes for good players as well as others - but to end up losing a player like Smith over such an inconsequential juvenile spat as at Brighton beggars belief for me .

Now we simply have no-one on the left wing who even threatens to be first team standard and no-one coming through from the fringes. If a country was as neglected as our left wing, there would be a global movement set up to rectify matters.

Archived