Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Phone in tonight

YES! we are on tonight, i am so excited to listen to barber's excellent analysis and Birch's great stories! :blink::whistle:

lol yes that blink and whistle are very appropriate after a comment like that. Lord only knows what they will come out with today :o

Yeh but I'm fed up with people telling me how hard Matty Fryatt works :rolleyes:

He's paid to score goals not work his bollocks off trying :mad:

Crouch went absolutely ages without scoring a goal, but his work-ethic kept the fans on his side, and his persistance is now paying off for him, and pretty well as well.

Yeh but I'm fed up with people telling me how hard Matty Fryatt works :rolleyes:

He's paid to score goals not work his bollocks off trying :mad:

I know what your saying, but i'd rather have a striker working his bollocks off trying to score than a striker not scoring and not working his bollocks off, if that makes sense? We all know that Fryatt has massive p[otential, he's hit a massive goal drought and now is the time to see whether he's got the minerals to overcome it and be the player he's capable of becoming. It's been a mixture of poor service and poor form that's led to this, I know it's been said before but he had 2 goals disallowed in his first 3 games and both were very harsh decisions. Although I don't like if's, but's and maybe's on this occasion it is a right pisser because i'm almost certain that had Fryatt started off with 2 goals in 3 games then there would no be this panic about him.

I'm more concerned on Kelly's deliberation about who to play upfront. I'm pleased he's not afraid of changing things, but I think it has to be Hume and Fryatt as the long term partnership unless he can fit O'Grady in aswell. He needs to look at the way the team plays and change it to suit our attacking players. Defensively we are starting to look more solid (touch wood) and if we could get 2 central midfielders who could pass the ball correctly then Hume and Fryatt would be as dangerous as they were together last season.

weve only had fryatt play in four of our five games this season so it isnt a massive goal drought .

we have the strikers and a decent defence , its the midfield that worries me.

hughes is hit n miss and thus far johnson hasnt impressed. weso is still injured and gareth lazy :ph34r: williams hasnt exactly gone out and established himself yet :rolleyes:

I know what your saying, but i'd rather have a striker working his bollocks off trying to score than a striker not scoring and not working his bollocks off, if that makes sense? We all know that Fryatt has massive p[otential, he's hit a massive goal drought and now is the time to see whether he's got the minerals to overcome it and be the player he's capable of becoming. It's been a mixture of poor service and poor form that's led to this, I know it's been said before but he had 2 goals disallowed in his first 3 games and both were very harsh decisions. Although I don't like if's, but's and maybe's on this occasion it is a right pisser because i'm almost certain that had Fryatt started off with 2 goals in 3 games then there would no be this panic about him.

I'm more concerned on Kelly's deliberation about who to play upfront. I'm pleased he's not afraid of changing things, but I think it has to be Hume and Fryatt as the long term partnership unless he can fit O'Grady in aswell. He needs to look at the way the team plays and change it to suit our attacking players. Defensively we are starting to look more solid (touch wood) and if we could get 2 central midfielders who could pass the ball correctly then Hume and Fryatt would be as dangerous as they were together last season.

I've no worries at all about Fryatt or Hume or O'Grady or Dodds and Chambers when they arrive on the scene.

Having Porter there has helped and having Low/Gradel has/will help some more.

But we're still handicapping ourselves because all the strikers are having to work too hard back into midfield - where they negate their effectiveness - because while we're okay industriously, we are bloody hopeless there creatively.

It really boils down to retaining too many weaknesses in the team - they are well documented - and our continued failure to do anything about them.

Kisnorbo is the only indifferent passer I would tolerate for any length of time and midfielders have to be able to do more than just pass. They need vision and the skills to bend, flight, time and pace their passes to the most lethal effect and to do it swiftly while the opposition can be caught of guard.

Roy Keane summed it up when describing Brian Clough's philosophy.

"It's simple son really. You win the ball, you pass it to one of our shirts and then you move."

Porter could have been made for that profile but with Weso still not fully fit there's no-one else and it's left us with an engine that's never going to fire on all its cylinders unless it's mended.

I've no worries at all about Fryatt or Hume or O'Grady or Dodds and Chambers when they arrive on the scene.

Having Porter there has helped and having Low/Gradel has/will help some more.

But we're still handicapping ourselves because all the strikers are having to work too hard back into midfield - where they negate their effectiveness - because while we're okay industriously, we are bloody hopeless there creatively.

It really boils down to retaining too many weaknesses in the team - they are well documented - and our continued failure to do anything about them.

Kisnorbo is the only indifferent passer I would tolerate for any length of time and midfielders have to be able to do more than just pass. They need vision and the skills to bend, flight, time and pace their passes to the most lethal effect and to do it swiftly while the opposition can be caught of guard.

Roy Keane summed it up when describing Brian Clough's philosophy.

"It's simple son really. You win the ball, you pass it to one of our shirts and then you move."

Porter could have been made for that profile but with Weso still not fully fit there's no-one else and it's left us with an engine that's never going to fire on all its cylinders unless it's mended.

Gareth Williams is the best passer at this club, it angers me that both the player and the coaches can't get the best out of him. Wesolowski and Williams together is the perfect partneship for what we need. Williams will rarely ever waste possession with aimless hit and hope passes, what the coaches need to do is motivate Williams and then teach the defence to look for the short pass to our first point of call, which would probably be Wesolowski. He could then spray the ball out to either winger or Williams who can unlock defences and give Fryatt and Hume the sort of passes they revel in.

Gareth Williams is the best passer at this club, it angers me that both the player and the coaches can't get the best out of him. Wesolowski and Williams together is the perfect partneship for what we need. Williams will rarely ever waste possession with aimless hit and hope passes, what the coaches need to do is motivate Williams and then teach the defence to look for the short pass to our first point of call, which would probably be Wesolowski. He could then spray the ball out to either winger or Williams who can unlock defences and give Fryatt and Hume the sort of passes they revel in.

Agreed, football made simple. If the coaching staff can work out how to get the best out of Gareth Williams then we may start moving fowards.

Agreed, football made simple. If the coaching staff can work out how to get the best out of Gareth Williams then we may start moving fowards.

However I would mention that Micky Adams, Craig Levein and Rob Kelly have all tried and failed to get the best out of Gareth Williams and therefore I would suggest that the problem is NOT with the coaching BUT with the player himself!!

I think a lot of the problem comes from the back. We have no one who can get the ball and bring it forward, or even pass it forward/ sidewards to other defenders to bring the ball up gradually.

Our defence can't do that, they ever have to lump it long, or the midfield have to come deep into there own half to get the ball. When the midfield come deep, they opposition press them and are defending in our half, leaving the midfield a choice of taking someone on and losing possesion in onw half, try fancy one two's and get nowhere or lump the ball forward.

The midfield when in posession at the back should be no deeper than the halfway line, and the defense should be able to bring the ball forward to that point.

It might make an interesting poll but I'd have Porter down as the best passer in an attacking sense and Wesolowski as second although his passing tends to be less penetrative which is understandable given his position.

Statistics won't necessarily provide the full answer because they won't measure the degree of adventure in all the passes, and Williams does tend to be adventurous so the risk of error is greater.

What I fail to see is that if you include these three (as our best passers) and, presumably a right winger like Low or Gradel, how does anyone accomodate Hughes, Johnson, Tiatto or even a third striker like Hume?

Ironically, considering our remaining and outstanding weaknesses, it is getting harder to choose our strongest team and will get harder still soon.

What I fail to see is that if you include these three (as our best passers) and, presumably a right winger like Low or Gradel, how does anyone accomodate Hughes, Johnson, Tiatto or even a third striker like Hume?

Personally I would have Hughes on the right and be fairly happy with not including Johnson, Low, Gradel or Tiatto. And if the passing from midfield was up to the standard necessary to make it worthwhile including Williams then you wouldn't need three strikers and you wouldn't need Chris O'Grady barrelling into defenders every two minutes because our half-decent midfield would be creating chances for our best two strikers, Fryatt and Hume.

Personally I would have Hughes on the right and be fairly happy with not including Johnson, Low, Gradel or Tiatto. And if the passing from midfield was up to the standard necessary to make it worthwhile including Williams then you wouldn't need three strikers and you wouldn't need Chris O'Grady barrelling into defenders every two minutes because our half-decent midfield would be creating chances for our best two strikers, Fryatt and Hume.

But if the midfield arn't getting the ball in decent areas, they won't be able to provide decent chances for the strikers. Its hard to provide a telling through ball when your stuck halfway in your own half.

It might make an interesting poll but I'd have Porter down as the best passer in an attacking sense and Wesolowski as second although his passing tends to be less penetrative which is understandable given his position.

Statistics won't necessarily provide the full answer because they won't measure the degree of adventure in all the passes, and Williams does tend to be adventurous so the risk of error is greater.

Ironically, considering our remaining and outstanding weaknesses, it is getting harder to choose our strongest team and will get harder still soon.

UHUHUUH your so annoying, Max Gradel this Max Gradel that. He hasn't even got a squad number! you wont see him till next season at the earliest!

But if the midfield arn't getting the ball in decent areas, they won't be able to provide decent chances for the strikers. Its hard to provide a telling through ball when your stuck halfway in your own half.

I agree but with a midfield like that, the defenders will have enough work to do defending. With more attack-minded players in the midfield they should be looking to play attackingly anyway, taking up positions higher up the pitch and Porter and Hume in particular being encouraged to run from deep. When the ball is played out of defence then those four midfielders should be better at retaining possession, enabling the defence to push up and force play higher up the pitch. In theory, at least. Personally I wouldn't have McCarthy in the side as I think our best chance of giving the midfield a platform is to play Kenton and Kisnorbo in central defence and encourage them to bring the ball out/give the simple pass rather than just hoofing it needlessly up to O'Grady as happened time and time again in the Southend game. Stearman has to prove he can both bring the ball out of defence and support attacks too. That's all conjecture anyway as McCarthy will be in the side all season.

UHUHUUH your so annoying, Max Gradel this Max Gradel that. He hasn't even got a squad number! you wont see him till next season at the earliest!

Why wait til next season to put him in the squad when he's the most dangerous winger we've got?

Chambers hasn't got a squad number either but far worse players have.

Archived