Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Has it ever been this bad or worse?

I've been supporting Leicester since 1991/92 and I have been very lucky up until recent years in the fact that the worst Leicester had ever finished was in the top 6 of the current league we are in. Obviously the past few years have been terrible and it's hard to deal with it considering the 10 or so years we had, but now we are well and truely struggling. But has it ever been as bad as this or worse? We are dead set for another bottom half finish in a crap league for the third year running, there's a distinct possibility that we'll get relegated. Has this club ever been close to relegation 3 years on the spin to a division we've never ever been in before?

I don't think we have, which means that the club is in it's worst state ever. Therefore something has to be done, we need to force out the imbeciles that run this club before it's too late, how they can be allowed to continue to run this club given the past 2 and a half years is beyond me. Not once has there been any sort of direction to change things. There are clubs all around us who weren't or aren't in any better situation than we are and they've got their act together and look like they are going places. We're not. I can't think of a worse club than ours at the minute, obviously some lower league clubs would love to change places with us but we can't even compete in the transfer market with any team in our division. I'd even put money on teams like Colchester and Southend being able to pay more for players than we could.

Something has got to be done and I don't accept all the bollocks about the club having no money, etc. The reason for that is because we've got clueless people running our club. Kelly must come in for some flak aswell, money is tight and yet we get a bid for a fringe player of ours that could probably be then spent on bringing in a player in an area we are lacking in and it gets turned down. That player then hasn't made an appearance for the first team since. Baffoons.

I've been supporting Leicester since 1991/92 and I have been very lucky up until recent years in the fact that the worst Leicester had ever finished was in the top 6 of the current league we are in. Obviously the past few years have been terrible and it's hard to deal with it considering the 10 or so years we had, but now we are well and truely struggling. But has it ever been as bad as this or worse? We are dead set for another bottom half finish in a crap league for the third year running, there's a distinct possibility that we'll get relegated. Has this club ever been close to relegation 3 years on the spin to a division we've never ever been in before?

I don't think we have, which means that the club is in it's worst state ever. Therefore something has to be done, we need to force out the imbeciles that run this club before it's too late, how they can be allowed to continue to run this club given the past 2 and a half years is beyond me. Not once has there been any sort of direction to change things. There are clubs all around us who weren't or aren't in any better situation than we are and they've got their act together and look like they are going places. We're not. I can't think of a worse club than ours at the minute, obviously some lower league clubs would love to change places with us but we can't even compete in the transfer market with any team in our division. I'd even put money on teams like Colchester and Southend being able to pay more for players than we could.

Something has got to be done and I don't accept all the bollocks about the club having no money, etc. The reason for that is because we've got clueless people running our club. Kelly must come in for some flak aswell, money is tight and yet we get a bid for a fringe player of ours that could probably be then spent on bringing in a player in an area we are lacking in and it gets turned down. That player then hasn't made an appearance for the first team since. Baffoons.

Fortunately Im just old enough to remember us staying up on the last day of the season in 1991. Thats about as bad as it got. We weren't very good then although for some reason I still loved going, strange. I Rember jumping up and down, stamping my feet shouting Pleat out, Something I till do when watchig ITV's Champions League coverage.

This is the worst period of Sustained shitness I can remember however.

In footballing terms, no, i've been supporting city since 1985, and have seen city play division one football etc, but there was always passion within the team, and the football was still entertaining. I remember thre always being a buzz on saturdays, which of late has long gone!!

Agree with all your comments, i'm afriad there are no easy solutions, i'm still holding onto the thought that MM may take over the club, beyond that I fear for the club and the fans!!! :(

it does seem strange that we reject a bid for maybury and since then he has only featured in the carling cup against lower league oppersition

Sunderland were flinging bids around like confetti over those few days - I wonder how serious they actually were with the bid for Maybury. Who is to say we turned the bid down - as I say Sunderland's interest may have cooled, they player may not have wanted to go there, or even if he did, he may not have been able to agree terms.

Sunderland were flinging bids around like confetti over those few days - I wonder how serious they actually were with the bid for Maybury. Who is to say we turned the bid down - as I say Sunderland's interest may have cooled, they player may not have wanted to go there, or even if he did, he may not have been able to agree terms.

even so to totally freeze him out when we are playing so badly seems strange, we need all the bodies we can get

Agreed, it's pretty dismal. I think the Pleat years would rival the current situation though. My first memories of Leicester were the plane flying over the ground with the Pleat Out banner, players like Tony Spearing and Alan Paris, shit ground, no fans, a real bad feeling around the whole club.

Some kids these days don't know they're born (the ones who started going when O'Neill was manager and think we belong in the Premiership. We've always had to fight to get there). I think the level you associate with the club has a lot to do with where we were whenever you started attending. I don't have as much of a problem with the current league position as some younger or older fans must have because it's pretty much the same as when I first started going.

The depressing thing at the moment is the desolation you feel inside the place. At least at Filbert Street you only had to get crowds of about 18,000 for the place to still be pretty full and create a real atmosphere in celebrating victory or showing anger at poor performances or inept managers. These days even when we win there's only a certain amount of atmosphere you can create when the stadium is two-thirds full and the noise is so disjointed. I can't see any current manager getting a real rollicking from a home crowd at the new stadium. Attendances will dwindle, the crowd will be even less behind the team that it is at the moment but the stadium isn't conducive to creating an atmosphere which will bring about a change.

There's no character to the club, there are fewer and fewer players each week you trust to produce a decent performance, so many players I look at and think that they're just not up to it. And without wanting to bring his name up for the sake of it, O'Neill was the last manager we had who inspired any passion from the players or crowd. That was six and a half years ago now. For our money we deserve players fit to wear the shirt and a manager who turns out a team worthy of the name.

Quinn said that we took 10 days to get back to Sunderland about it and asked for money money when we did. It just seems strange that we'd take that amount of time to get back to a club for a player we since don't play. Do we not play him because we rejected the bid and he kicked off about it? Or was it a case of he's not very good and the club don't rate him, in which case it is in-excusable to turn down a relatively good transfer fee for a player we don't need. That £250k could have been used elsewhere. It makes me sick.

Quinn said that we took 10 days to get back to Sunderland about it and asked for money money when we did. It just seems strange that we'd take that amount of time to get back to a club for a player we since don't play. Do we not play him because we rejected the bid and he kicked off about it? Or was it a case of he's not very good and the club don't rate him, in which case it is in-excusable to turn down a relatively good transfer fee for a player we don't need. That £250k could have been used elsewhere. It makes me sick.

Yeah, there are plenty more where Elvis Hammond came from! :P

Yeah, there are plenty more where Elvis Hammond came from! :P

lol

It's not alot but when you couple it with the good fortune we've had in the cup, two rounds of prize money a gate of 6,000 and a sell out against a prem side to look forward to you'd think we'd have in excess of half a mill.

Agreed, it's pretty dismal. I think the Pleat years would rival the current situation though. My first memories of Leicester were the plane flying over the ground with the Pleat Out banner, players like Tony Spearing and Alan Paris, shit ground, no fans, a real bad feeling around the whole club.

Some kids these days don't know they're born (the ones who started going when O'Neill was manager and think we belong in the Premiership. We've always had to fight to get there). I think the level you associate with the club has a lot to do with where we were whenever you started attending. I don't have as much of a problem with the current league position as some younger or older fans must have because it's pretty much the same as when I first started going.

The depressing thing at the moment is the desolation you feel inside the place. At least at Filbert Street you only had to get crowds of about 18,000 for the place to still be pretty full and create a real atmosphere in celebrating victory or showing anger at poor performances or inept managers. These days even when we win there's only a certain amount of atmosphere you can create when the stadium is two-thirds full and the noise is so disjointed. I can't see any current manager getting a real rollicking from a home crowd at the new stadium. Attendances will dwindle, the crowd will be even less behind the team that it is at the moment but the stadium isn't conducive to creating an atmosphere which will bring about a change.

There's no character to the club, there are fewer and fewer players each week you trust to produce a decent performance, so many players I look at and think that they're just not up to it. And without wanting to bring his name up for the sake of it, O'Neill was the last manager we had who inspired any passion from the players or crowd. That was six and a half years ago now. For our money we deserve players fit to wear the shirt and a manager who turns out a team worthy of the name.

those were bad times!!!

do you remember the pitch invasion protest against blackburn at filbo!!!!????

thing is, teams in those days could do shit or good regardless of having loads of dough but based on reputations of the clubs etc. now that counts for nothing as money rules.personally, despite some cringeworthy pr antics, the board have done well to stabilise the club and arent given enough credit.

as long as they are looking for some investor/guys who likes chucking money away.

those were bad times!!!

do you remember the pitch invasion protest against blackburn at filbo!!!!????

thing is, teams in those days could do shit or good regardless of having loads of dough but based on reputations of the clubs etc. now that counts for nothing as money rules.personally, despite some cringeworthy pr antics, the board have done well to stabilise the club and arent given enough credit.

as long as they are looking for some investor/guys who likes chucking money away.

but who says they are looking and from my point of view they may have saved the club for it to just die a slow death by a thousand cuts. how long have they been in charge now by the way , i forget?

There are probably four period's in Leicester City's history that compare:

1900/01- 11th/18

1901/02 - 14th/18

1902/03 - 15th/18

1903/04 - 18th/18

1904/05 - 14th/18

1910/11 - 15th/20

1911/12 - 10th/20

1912/13 - 15th/20

1913/14 - 18th/20

1914/15 - 19th/20

1948/49 - 19th/22

1949/50 - 15th/22

1950/51 - 14th/22

1988/89 - 15th/24

1989/90 - 13th/24

1990/91 - 22nd/24

And now:

2004/05 - 15th/24

2005/06 - 16th/24

2006/07 - ?

There are probably four period's in Leicester City's history that compare:

1900/01- 11th/18

1901/02 - 14th/18

1902/03 - 15th/18

1903/04 - 18th/18

1904/05 - 14th/18

1910/11 - 15th/20

1911/12 - 10th/20

1912/13 - 15th/20

1913/14 - 18th/20

1914/15 - 19th/20

1948/49 - 19th/22

1949/50 - 15th/22

1950/51 - 14th/22

1988/89 - 15th/24

1989/90 - 13th/24

1990/91 - 22nd/24

And now:

2004/05 - 15th/24

2005/06 - 16th/24

2006/07 - ?

Someones been busy!! :sweating:

Yes, FOUR seasons in a row 1987-91. Gates fell to 8000 and we were stuck in an ageing slum of a ground. The atmosphere at "good old Filbo" in thsose days was also dire, with racial abuse a regular and tolerated occurence.

Complete bollocks. A lot of our players are well outside the price range of many other clubs in our league. For example, Williams, Fryatt, Hume and Hammond all cost over £250k. Compare and contrast with Colchester (record fee paid £50k), and the scale of our underachievement become apparent.

We could wheel and deal, as previous managers have done, but then we'd have an awful lot of whinges and moans on here and in the Mockery about alleged "lack of ambition".

Not quite true. Maybury has played twice in the League Cup. And on this season's evidence he wouldn't be the first player we should show the door to anyway!

it is the worst time i have suffered as a city fan, but strangely enough only at home games. away games are something different and as long as we try i rarely get disappointed leaving the ground. the feel of other grounds are actually making me happier to go there, perhaps down to the shambles that is our prematch entertainment....i know its an old topic which has spun round many times but i feel so embarassed standing in my city shirt just after half time listening to a camp remake of the post horn gallop. what would be terribly wrong with them leaving a little silence for the kop to start making a few noises as the 2 teams run out? they always start singing before the second half but are drowned out by camp rubbish music

Yes, FOUR seasons in a row 1987-91. Gates fell to 8000 and we were stuck in an ageing slum of a ground. The atmosphere at "good old Filbo" in thsose days was also dire, with racial abuse a regular and tolerated occurence.

Complete bollocks. A lot of our players are well outside the price range of many other clubs in our league. For example, Williams, Fryatt, Hume and Hammond all cost over £250k. Compare and contrast with Colchester (record fee paid £50k), and the scale of our underachievement become apparent.

We could wheel and deal, as previous managers have done, but then we'd have an awful lot of whinges and moans on here and in the Mockery about alleged "lack of ambition".

Not quite true. Maybury has played twice in the League Cup. And on this season's evidence he wouldn't be the first player we should show the door to anyway!

And yet they still manage to get a away draw against us.

but who says they are looking and from my point of view they may have saved the club for it to just die a slow death by a thousand cuts. how long have they been in charge now by the way , i forget?

Since February 2003, when they took us out of administration.

I'm sure you're not the only one who's had a memory lapse.

Folk are quick to praise the role of Mandaric in saving Pompey, and yet routinely trash those fans who saved US! :angry::angry::angry:

Folk are quick to praise the role of Mandaric in saving Pompey, and yet routinely trash those fans who saved US! :angry::angry::angry:

BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T SAVED US YET!

That might have something to do with Pompey's league position and ours. The fact that they are signing players like Sol Campbell while we might as well be trying to sign Donald Campbell.

Yeah - our board and Mandaric are exactly alike!

If Mandaric were here he'd be content to big himself up whilst we stagnate at the bottom of the Championship... oh, no.. wait, that's boll ocks isn't it Ultra?

Mandaric has been a big success at most clubs he's been involved with.

Our shambles of a board/management team have had one crack at it and fu cked it up.

Do you see?

Besides, there is no place for sentiment now. We were saved. I am grateful. Now we need someone to take us forwards.

Archived