Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Has it ever been this bad or worse?

That might have something to do with Pompey's league position and ours. The fact that they are signing players like Sol Campbell while we might as well be trying to sign Donald Campbell.

I think Donald Duck would be more of realistic target to try and bring into the club, given our transfer budget and all that.

Yes, FOUR seasons in a row 1987-91. Gates fell to 8000 and we were stuck in an ageing slum of a ground. The atmosphere at "good old Filbo" in thsose days was also dire, with racial abuse a regular and tolerated occurence.

Complete bollocks. A lot of our players are well outside the price range of many other clubs in our league. For example, Williams, Fryatt, Hume and Hammond all cost over £250k. Compare and contrast with Colchester (record fee paid £50k), and the scale of our underachievement become apparent.

We could wheel and deal, as previous managers have done, but then we'd have an awful lot of whinges and moans on here and in the Mockery about alleged "lack of ambition".

Not quite true. Maybury has played twice in the League Cup. And on this season's evidence he wouldn't be the first player we should show the door to anyway!

Ultra, although your right in some of your points. I've only been a fan since 1991 and can't relate to the late 80's shite. Yes we have some players in our team we have paid money for but it's evident that we aren't going to pay a transfer fee for another player for quite some time. That's what my point was aimed at. If it came down to it right now I bet every single team in this division would be able to bid more for a player than we would. The club have almost said it themselves in saying there is NO MONEY available. But when will there be money available? Attendances are dropping, our players are under-achieving so their value will drop. Where will we ever get any money to strengthen.

I'm forever grateful for the current board of directors for saving our club when we were in administration, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to continue forever in the way they are doing right now. Zero prospects, zero ambition. Clueless. Not managed to bring in any significant investment without having to pay the investors in wages that amount over a period of time. (what I mean by that is our chairman has put £500k in but is on £250k a year so he'll re-coup that back by 2008).

I was meant to say that Maybury hasn't played in the league since and has only been on the bench once, which given the way we've been playing seems strange for a player we've turned a sizeable transfer fee down for. He's 2 years older than he was when we signed him and the transfer offer was over 5 times more than we paid for him. They should have accepted, even if Kelly is dire in the transfer market.

Since February 2003, when they took us out of administration.

I'm sure you're not the only one who's had a memory lapse.

Folk are quick to praise the role of Mandaric in saving Pompey, and yet routinely trash those fans who saved US! :angry::angry::angry:

And these are the same guys who are taking us down the slippery slope to oblivion.

They are f'ckin useless, even you must accept that because I have yet to see one positive thing they have done for this Club since 2003.

They're compensated with a team that can actually play football from time to time.

On quite an unrelated note, I go and watch Northampton sometimes when I can't get to/be arsed to go to/afford to go to Leicester games.

My record this season watching Northampton;

P3 W0 D0 L3 F 1 A 5 Pts 0

Northampton games I've missed;

P8 W4 D3 L1 F11 A8 Pts 15

I reckon it's me.

On quite an unrelated note, I go and watch Northampton sometimes when I can't get to/be arsed to go to/afford to go to Leicester games.

My record this season watching Northampton;

P3 W0 D0 L3 F 1 A 5 Pts 0

Northampton games I've missed;

P8 W4 D3 L1 F11 A8 Pts 15

I reckon it's me.

Yes, and bloody stop watching city aswell, you jinx!!!!! :D:P

i know its an old topic which has spun round many times but i feel so embarassed standing in my city shirt just after half time listening to a camp remake of the post horn gallop. what would be terribly wrong with them leaving a little silence for the kop to start making a few noises as the 2 teams run out? they always start singing before the second half but are drowned out by camp rubbish music

How can you knock the FT's greatest achievement in re-recording the PHG with the Scissor Sisters?

Since February 2003, when they took us out of administration.

I'm sure you're not the only one who's had a memory lapse.

Folk are quick to praise the role of Mandaric in saving Pompey, and yet routinely trash those fans who saved US! :angry::angry::angry:

thats because pompey are doing well , flying high in the premier league while we , the saved , are clueless and struggling to stay afloat in this division :P

that pic of you in another thread showing a baby was bang on :ph34r::P

Yeah - our board and Mandaric are exactly alike!

If Mandaric were here he'd be content to big himself up whilst we stagnate at the bottom of the Championship... oh, no.. wait, that's boll ocks isn't it Ultra?

Like he was at Pompey when they spent THREE years in this league's bottom six?

Strange how everyone forgets this episode.

This mass psychosis is very unappealling.

thats because pompey are doing well , flying high in the premier league while we , the saved , are clueless and struggling to stay afloat in this division :P

So go and post on a Portsmouth board then, if you love them that much! :angry:

It must have been worse at some point in time... we were once managed by David Pleat. :(

i was speaking to someone who is around thracians age :ph34r: the other day and he reckons the mclintock time was much worse.

i think:

team + finances = worse now

McLintock was only here for one season.

I wouldn't say he was any worse than Pleat, Basett or Levein.

i heard he dismantled a decent side to get his arsenal mates in, but to be fair i was 4 or summat at the time so i don't really know what went on. i think anyone post taylor + elsom have had it tough because of them

what more can the board do? they don't have any money, end of. the boss is doing the best he can with the players available, the players are doing the best they can with the ability available. there's noone to blame here but PT, the man who wasted all the gold.

i have to agree that the atmosphere is diabolical at the walkers. the away fans need to be closer to the kop, it needs that banter. at the moment they are to far away. all the kids who have been let in cheap for the past few years are growing up and now going with there mates and causing trouble. i've heard countless reports of the little chavs making comments to other city fans, throwing things at people in the stands etc.

awful football + awful atmosphere does not make a good day out, and thats not even mentioning the PRICE. but to be honest, thats irrelevant, because as things are I wouldn't even go if it was free.

Ultra, although your right in some of your points. I've only been a fan since 1991 and can't relate to the late 80's shite. Yes we have some players in our team we have paid money for but it's evident that we aren't going to pay a transfer fee for another player for quite some time. That's what my point was aimed at. If it came down to it right now I bet every single team in this division would be able to bid more for a player than we would. The club have almost said it themselves in saying there is NO MONEY available. But when will there be money available? Attendances are dropping, our players are under-achieving so their value will drop. Where will we ever get any money to strengthen.

I'm forever grateful for the current board of directors for saving our club when we were in administration, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to continue forever in the way they are doing right now. Zero prospects, zero ambition. Clueless. Not managed to bring in any significant investment without having to pay the investors in wages that amount over a period of time. (what I mean by that is our chairman has put £500k in but is on £250k a year so he'll re-coup that back by 2008).

I was meant to say that Maybury hasn't played in the league since and has only been on the bench once, which given the way we've been playing seems strange for a player we've turned a sizeable transfer fee down for. He's 2 years older than he was when we signed him and the transfer offer was over 5 times more than we paid for him. They should have accepted, even if Kelly is dire in the transfer market.

Definitely. There's more than enough cover at full-back. I couldn't understand why he wasn't sold at the time

- which probably means he'll be in the squad at Brum tomorrow - having attracted the manager's attention in the same way as Hammond.

It's time Dodds opened his mouth in my view! Quite obviously Kelly puts up with this "every man for himself approach".

I'm quite like Hammond, I think he's got som equalities. But I'm in a minority and I do know that the only reason Hammond and Maybury are out of the team is because they haven't played well enough overall when they've been in it.

Mind you they can both argue that neither has almost anyone else apart from the centre-backs, the goalkeepers and young Porter, with Kenton, O'Grady and Hume perhaps earning a neutral rating.

that pic of you in another thread showing a baby was bang on :ph34r::P

Forgive me, but didn't Mandaric effectively bail out of pompey when they looked completely and utterly doomed last season?

I don't think we have, which means that the club is in it's worst state ever. Therefore something has to be done, we need to force out the imbeciles that run this club before it's too late, how they can be allowed to continue to run this club given the past 2 and a half years is beyond me. Not once has there been any sort of direction to change things. There are clubs all around us who weren't or aren't in any better situation than we are and they've got their act together and look like they are going places. We're not. I can't think of a worse club than ours at the minute, obviously some lower league clubs would love to change places with us but we can't even compete in the transfer market with any team in our division. I'd even put money on teams like Colchester and Southend being able to pay more for players than we could.

Something has got to be done and I don't accept all the bollocks about the club having no money, etc. The reason for that is because we've got clueless people running our club. Kelly must come in for some flak aswell, money is tight and yet we get a bid for a fringe player of ours that could probably be then spent on bringing in a player in an area we are lacking in and it gets turned down. That player then hasn't made an appearance for the first team since. Baffoons.

There is no point 'forcing people out' if there is no one to replace them. If some of the existing board left at present, you would have to look at the remaining shareholders for replacements. The last time there was an election to the board, no other shareholder stood for election.

If there are people looking to invest in the club, that is a different matter, but then it's up to the board to see if any new investor is good for the club in the long term.

There isn't any money it's true, not many businesses can take a £7m hit in income without it having a serious effect on it's future plans.

Archived