Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

What are City's aims?

Are City really trying to get out of this division or are they simply satisfied with treading water?

A lot of people will doubtless be quite pleased with today's result and quite pleased with the performance.

And, being fair there were some good things one could talk about.

But impressed. You must be joking.

That's the fourth home League game we've failed to win this season because Caution Kelly didn't want it enough and didn't put a team out that had the skill and energy to deliver.

Once again, as so often, he gave us a handicap.

Nils might describe him as perhaps the best manager he's ever worked under. Well I don't know who the others were but I hope Kelly doesn't believe it because, to me, he's a one trick pony.

If his beloved 4-4-2 doesn't work, that's it. There's nothing else in the locker.

We'd fielded what, bafflingly, he seems to believe are our best wingers and they slung a few crosses in. So did Tiatto and one or two more. They didn't work. They weren't precise or any more than hopeful but, whatever, we barely won a header in the box and were never likely to as the players got more and more exhausted.

So what did Kelly do? Instead of changing our approach he replaced our preferred winger with another so-called winger who was never likely to succeeed where Low had failed.

When, in fact, we were much more likely to reap success by putting O'Grady with Hume and Hammond, introducing Weso with Hughes, Tiatto and Welsh, going 3-4-3 or 4-2-4 and trying to beat their tiring centre-backs through the middle on the floor where they had looked vulnerable throughout.

Instead we just faded out like a record. There was one occasion which summed it up. Hammond made a brilliant break through the inside right channel using the last of his fast-fading energy and when he won possession could have lit a hamlet while he waited for support.

It just wasn't there and the chance was wasted. We also wasted the chance of two more home points with our lack of imagination and real commitment to winning. Only three players on the park, plus perhaps Stearman were honestly capable of scoring and, yet again, it wasn't enough.

to be fair he is limited in his options atm.

and like it or not porter has not been as good as some on here have made out and i thought sylla did well and seemed more dangerous then low ever did today

Hughes and Tiatto were both carrying knocks, it's been said.

We're kinda short of options in the middle as far as fit first-team midfielders goes, so we played a couple who might otherwise have been rested.

Hughes and Tiatto were both carrying knocks, it's been said.

We're kinda short of options in the middle as far as fit first-team midfielders goes, so we played a couple who might otherwise have been rested.

If these two had knocks, then why didn't he sub either of them for Weso? Why else would he be on the bench? And Sylla has also been used as an emergency midfielder, while Hume could've been pulled back a bit as well, not to mention Porter who should be on the bench anyway! I feel it's a pretty poor excuse from RK.

to be fair he is limited in his options atm.

and like it or not porter has not been as good as some on here have made out and i thought sylla did well and seemed more dangerous then low ever did today

Can't be that short. I've not heard that Porter's injured - it seems scandalous that he just seems to have dropped right out of the reckoning with no explanation. And Andy King played and scored from midfield (yet again) for the Academy (who whacked another five goals today, which is about average).

Quote from Nils: "I've played behind Levi quite a bit this season and he is a great player to have in front of you. He has so much natural talent." So how come anyone suddenly sees Welsh, Low or Sylla as a better option?.

I'm not happy with the result as we should have beaten Palace but then again Rob Kelly isn't the man to bring long term success to the club but until someone puts serious money into the Club i.e Mandaric we will always be talking about being a nearly team but if we get rid of Kelly who do we bring in? Clearly some will never be happy with Kelly even if he does get the team promoted which i think is unlikely.

Andy King isn't ready for first team football. weso hasn't trained all week has he? perhaps that played a part in things.

King may still have flaws but looks by far our best attacking midfielder to me. We cannot get out of this League playing two essentially defensive midfielders, neither of whom ever really attacks the box unless we have genuine goalscorers/creators on the flanks.

Quote from Nils: "I've played behind Levi quite a bit this season and he is a great player to have in front of you. He has so much natural talent." So how come anyone suddenly sees Welsh, Low or Sylla as a better option?.

hang on, you've slated nils all season you cant now use a quote from him to say how great porter has been.

he has been lightweight, to timed to run at defenders and easily muscled off the ball, he needs a loan spell playing 90 mins each week to toughen him up

I've witnessed plenty of substandard performances from the side this season, but I wouldn't say today's was one of them.

The players showed plenty of spirit and commitment, however they did at times become a little intimidated by the big crowd (the biggest in the league today :o:cool:) and so sometimes lacked composure in the final third of the field. Indeed, Rob Kelly noted afterwards how often players took the wrong option and thus scuppered promising moves.

Sylla and Welsh were both clearly well short of match fitness and with Tiatto and Hughes both carrying knocks it was a tribute to Kelly that the midfield was competitive today. The difficulty is in enabling them to carry that on into the Villa game.

But considering that half of Kelly's first choice outfield players were missing today, I was reasonably satisfied with the performance today, even if we did allow the weasel Taylor to escape with a point.

hang on, you've slated nils all season you cant now use a quote from him to say how great porter has been.

he has been lightweight, to timed to run at defenders and easily muscled off the ball, he needs a loan spell playing 90 mins each week to toughen him up

I've criticised Nils' football not his match-programme comments.

Porter lightweight? How come his match by match ratings were so high overall?. Funny how short people's memories are.

I wouldn't mind if we had alternative wingers who were anywhere near his class.

I've criticised Nils' football not his match-programme comments.

Porter lightweight? How come his match by match ratings were so high overall?. Funny how short people's memories are.

I don't think the problem with Porter is his talent, or his size. I generally don't think he first in with our tactics. I don't think he gives us enough width, and whilst he was in the team, we created few chances and scored a very little amount of goals. Since he's been out, we've scored a lot more.

I'd like to see him on the bench and be brought on however, because i do think he's a quality player.

because people like you ejaculate at the mere thought of him being included.

he is lightweight, he gets knocked off the ball far too easily, rarely goes past the full back or gets a cross in, he may be a good prospect but he has been found wanting on more then 1 occasion, IMO he is not ready for a sustained run in the side and should be sent on loan to toughen up

Can't be that short. I've not heard that Porter's injured - it seems scandalous that he just seems to have dropped right out of the reckoning with no explanation. And Andy King played and scored from midfield (yet again) for the Academy (who whacked another five goals today, which is about average).

Andy King won't play this season. Man City showed today that you can't just throw in some youngsters that had looked good in academy games because you'll get beat. Matty Mills and Michael Johnson struggled today, just as King or Dodds or Gradel would struggle.

I'd love to see Thracian become a manager. Then when things start going wrong because he's played 11 players under the age 18 in the team, see what excuses he comes out with. :P

Nothing against you Thrac but it would be pretty funny lol...

" They're just finding their feet after making the step-up "

" They'll be better once they're a bit physically stronger "

" The lads are looking a bit too old to compete energetically enough. Maybe if I brought some even younger talent in we'd be right up there "

(Again I repeat, this is no offence to Grandpa Thracian, just a bit of gentle fun at his expense. Sorry for any offense this may cause.)

So, let me get this straight: even though you have previously said that Porter is not a natural winger, you would happily enter him on the field of play? Would having him on the wing be your favourite position?

It's not a question of wanting Kelly out or poking fun at Thracian it's a question of what is the ambition of the club. To me today the performance was mediocre and when the reckoning comes that is where we will be - in a mediocre mid table position. Kelly is doing wonders with what he has and it's not even that we played badly but we just didn't\play as if we believed or wanted to win. That second half was all about containment, not the remotest risk or push for victory - not good enough. If we have aspirations for the Premiership we need to start believing and planning. Welsh nor Low are good enough and I also cannot understand why Porter has seemingly been discarded - Kelly has done this before with others O'Grady, Maybury.

Andy King, Joe Mattock, Max Gradel etc. will never play for the 1st team this season. Fact. No point mentioning them in potential line - ups as it will never happen.

the bigger question is, Did people REALLY expect us to turn palace over without breaking a sweat today? because the way some people are reacting to the result you would think we were romping away with the league not in the bottom half

It's not a question of wanting Kelly out or poking fun at Thracian it's a question of what is the ambition of the club. To me today the performance was mediocre and when the reckoning comes that is where we will be - in a mediocre mid table position. Kelly is doing wonders with what he has and it's not even that we played badly but we just didn't\play as if we believed or wanted to win. That second half was all about containment, not the remotest risk or push for victory - not good enough. If we have aspirations for the Premiership we need to start believing and planning. Welsh nor Low are good enough and I also cannot understand why Porter has seemingly been discarded - Kelly has done this before with others O'Grady, Maybury.

It's all about progression. If our results continue and we have a comfortable mid table finish i'll be happy. Get in a few players over the summer and get rid of those who aren't good enough. Then try and improve on that.

People seem to expect giant leaps forward, well that's not going to happen. It's going to take time with the resources we have, it could take two or three years. Look around us, Derby, Southampton, Palace, Birmingham, coventry, sunderland... all within touching distance of us, all of whom have spent fortunes on players.

We have to look at teams like Preston and Burnley because we don't have the spending power of the other bigger teams in this league. Year after year they had a little progression. They didn't have money to spend except for when they sold players. What they did they was build from the back, get the team solid and expanded from there.

Archived