Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Director of Football -Who is there?

Many posters have suggested that we should retain RK and employ a DofF.

I can't say I'm too keen on the idea in prinicple, it rarely seems to work too well in England but I believe MM is in favour of such a position.

My big problem is I just don't see anyone out there that is good enough, most 'experienced' ex-managers currently available seem to have too much 'failure baggage' or wouldn't accept such a position.

Who is there I ask?

Many posters have suggested that we should retain RK and employ a DofF.

I can't say I'm too keen on the idea in prinicple, it rarely seems to work too well in England but I believe MM is in favour of such a position.

My big problem is I just don't see anyone out there that is good enough, most 'experienced' ex-managers currently available seem to have too much 'failure baggage' or wouldn't accept such a position.

Who is there I ask?

I'm not entirely convinced a Director of football should in fact be an experienced former manager. They are too likely to want to be involbed in the first team. How about an experienced chief scout type person, who would have responsibility for identifying players in areas where the manager believes we are weak, and then agreeing on preferences with the manager and board, and then dealing with all of the administration of siging them, contracts etc.

Maybe DoF is the wrong title? I'm just of a mind that when you have a young inexperienced manager, you should let them have the time to be able to do the key bits by taking away some of the time pressure of the administration side.

I'm not entirely convinced a Director of football should in fact be an experienced former manager. They are too likely to want to be involbed in the first team. How about an experienced chief scout type person, who would have responsibility for identifying players in areas where the manager believes we are weak, and then agreeing on preferences with the manager and board, and then dealing with all of the administration of siging them, contracts etc.

Maybe DoF is the wrong title? I'm just of a mind that when you have a young inexperienced manager, you should let them have the time to be able to do the key bits by taking away some of the time pressure of the administration side.

A Chief Scout with additional responsibilities sounds a much better option :thumbup:

A Chief Scout with additional responsibilities sounds a much better option :thumbup:

Totally agree - something along the lines of Frank Arnesen, the whole sporting director theme....but please god (MM) do not even consider Zajec!

Not suggesting that it works for everyone, nor am I wanting us to go out tapping players up left, right and centre (ala Arnesen) but someone experienced in scouting and the contractural side of the game, plus a right hand man for the manager to consult when it comes to bouncing ideas around, whether its anything from training methods to tatics to press relations - guess the line is important, in that they don't cross it to have an influence on the team directly - may achieve this by a position equivalent to RK in the hierarchy and not senior to him.

In which case what about the Academy/Reserves team coach Steve Beaglehole? He has been consistently successful bringing the best out of youth footballers at various places and has exactly the sort of approach to football which will put bums on seats once more.

You only have to look at the balance and constantly positive attitude of his teams to know the guy has so much to offer. Surely he'd have a good eye for talent and would have first hand knowledge of our needs. He has also enjoyed demonstrable success. I'd imagine he's got good contacts and few would be more aware of the abilities of the best young footballers around the country.

That's a suggestion for debate not an out-and-out proposal cos I don't know the bloke personally I've just seen, and heard from other admirers, what he's about.

And I've witnessed first hand his undisguised enthusiasm and commitment to his job, his belief in attacking football. Perhaps he wouldn't want added responsibilities, I don't know. Perhaps such a move wouldn't appeal to the manager. There are many things to consider. But it's a thought.

Don't know how good it would be for the Academy team though and that's a pretty important job at our club .

In which case what about the Academy/Reserves team coach Steve Beaglehole? He has been consistently successful bringing the best out of youth footballers at various places and has exactly the sort of approach to football which will put bums on seats once more.

You only have to look at the balance and constantly positive attitude of his teams to know the guy has so much to offer. Surely he'd have a good eye for talent and would have first hand knowledge of our needs. He has also enjoyed demonstrable success. I'd imagine he's got good contacts and few would be more aware of the abilities of the best young footballers around the country.

That's a suggestion for debate not an out-and-out proposal cos I don't know the bloke personally I've just seen, and heard from other admirers, what he's about.

And I've witnessed first hand his undisguised enthusiasm and commitment to his job, his belief in attacking football. Perhaps he wouldn't want added responsibilities, I don't know. Perhaps such a move wouldn't appeal to the manager. There are many things to consider. But it's a thought.

Don't know how good it would be for the Academy team though and that's a pretty important job at our club .

Given the players coming out of the Academy at the moment I'd be locking him up where he is not distratcing him with other responsibilities. :thumbup:

Dario Gradi

Interesting idea but I wonder if he would ever leave Crewe. But if he did I'm quite sure from speaking to a pal who knew him well, that he'd be well capable of contributing to a team effort. Might even welcome it at this stage of his career. Not sure of his contract situation these days though. Didn't he used to have a 10-year rolling contract?

Interesting idea but I wonder if he would ever leave Crewe. But if he did I'm quite sure from speaking to a pal who knew him well, that he'd be well capable of contributing to a team effort. Might even welcome it at this stage of his career. Not sure of his contract situation these days though. Didn't he used to have a 10-year rolling contract?

One last challenge?

He is an absolute Leg' in my book, absolute.

Depends on the job description.

SB has undoubtedly a great talent for developing the youngsters but would the role require a different set of skills that reached across the spectrum of football as a whole. He may well have those skills himself.

It often appears to be a difficult relationship due to perceived conflicts of interest at various levels but for me any DoF would need to have no aspirations to manage/select the team. Can ex managers ever let go?

I think someone along the lines of Gerard Houllier would be ideal, but obviously we are not a premiership club looking to get into Europe and suggestion is merely a name to represent the kind of character I think we need to be thinking about.

I would say that Gradi would be a very interesting prospect, although again I imagine its highly unlikely.

The style and approach to the game would also be a factor, someone of the same school of thought of big Sam might offer some useful input into the scientific side of the game which probably gets missed to a degree at City.

Someone that has been around the block, a bit of a wheeler dealer, willing to act as a 'consultant' to RK, no black marks on their history - the choice is difficult and I suspect the kind of people that we are talking about are few and far between but may have gathered their experience serving as assistants rather than the management of a club from top to bottom.

We need to combine the Authur Daley side of Jim Smith with the new style management techniques of Arsene Wenger, and the breadth of footballing knowledge of Dario Gradi, with a little Gordon Strachan thrown in for entertainment.

.........no closer then! :rolleyes:

Archived