Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kendalhearts

SPL, Hearts, Craig Levein, Alan Maybury....

I disagree with the Maybury being crap comments.

Maybury is our second choice RB, but he's a decent squad player and can do a job when called upon. :ph34r:

He had a spell post-transfer window which wasn't terribly clever, but he might be over that now. Hopefully. :blink:

Kisnorbo is class. :thumbsup:

De Vries is about as useful on the football pitch as a dead squirrel. :ph34r:

Craig Levein is a good manager north of the border, but not very good south of it. :ph34r:

Stephen Hughes has his moments but wouldn't figure if we had fully fit CM options and a decent right winger. :ph34r:

Also, that Hamill bloke we took off of you... he was poor. No.. really poor. Dreadfully poor. Words being to escape me as to quite how poor... Buttock-clinchingly piss poor, in fact. :P

I disagree with the Maybury being crap comments.

Maybury is our second choice RB, but he's a decent squad player and can do a job when called upon. :ph34r:

He had a spell post-transfer window which wasn't terribly clever, but he might be over that now. Hopefully. :blink:

our 1st choice is hardly brilliant

I jsut wanted to ask your opinion on the above and Kisnorbo and any other thing that has something to do with scottish football.

Cheers in advance :)

The SPL

I would say that most teams in the SPL would be bottom half Championship sides in England. I say that because the players that Levein brought down from Hearts and even Celtic and Rangers reserves have been nothing more than a bottom half Championship standard players generally. I am cautious when I say that because I gather players like Hamill weren't first choices when Levein was at Hearts but Maybury and MDV were pretty consistent starters and have shown that they are average/below average Championship players.

Hearts

Hearts seem to be a club that aren't sure where they're going next. I kept an eye on their fortunes imediately after Levein came here but after a while I stopped taking notice. A large influx of foreign players and apparent unrest from longer serving players. Even the mangerial position seems to change regualrly now. Hard totellthough as the coverage of the SPLisn't great down here.

Craig Levein and Alan Maybury

Craig Levein underestimated the Championship. I don't know whether he's admitted that yet. Wouldn't surprise me if he's still claiming that he would have got the results to dig us out of the trouble we were in. He seems a stubborn man, too proud to ask for help possibly. I think he made the move to English football at the wrong time for him. I think he saw the success that fellow Scots had had when they'd come to manage in the 2nd tier of English football and thought it would be a doddle. This division isn't a doddle. It's probably one of the hardest leagues to get out of in European football. I can tell you for a fact that many of Levein's signings from North of the border struggled to adapt to the physical demands of Championship football (practically 2 games a week, every week) including Maybury who'd played in England before! Having said that I think Maybury does have the ability to be a solid little player at this level if he was a bit more composed on the ball and controlled when out of possession. He's going to have to move up the gears quickly though otherwise he'll be destined to play at this level or back in the SPL for the rest of his career.

Other Scottish things...

Rab Douglas has struggled to perform since joining us. A 'keeper who is past his best although it would seem he was never that good anyway.

Momo Sylla has shown willingness to force his way back into the first team but ultimately lacks the ability to stamp his authority on a game. Has slightly above average games occasionally when he does play but never amazing. Average is about all you'll get from him.

Mark de Vries has been shipped out on loan for the second time since joining us. He's very unlikely to play a major part for us again. Never fit enough to be able to trouble most defences he came up against in English football. He tried but was cumbersome and lacked confidence pretty much from the start.

Joe Hamill came and went. Not sure where he is at now but he never showed why he was worth bringing to the club in the first place. A panic purchase by Levein I feel.

Peter Houston and Kenny Black were decent blokes and seemed to enjoy it here but they seemed to be "yes" men for Levein and he needed "maybe not" men around him instead.

Stephen Hughes impressed when he first came, had a below average first full season due to injuries and playing out of position but seems to be showing signs that he could be a decent midfielder in this division with the right players around him and a bit more strength from his part.

Patrick Kisnorbo had a shocking first few months at the club. He missed the early part of the season through injury and then was brought back in as a central midfielder. He struggled and looked a very poor player. Fans got on his back and from what I've heard it did get to him that he was playing out of position and could do himself justice playing at centre half. He was moved there for Levein's last game as manager and by all accounts did very well. He was kept there for the rest of last season and has continued there this season despite missing a few games through suspension and injuries to his knee. He's added goals to his game from set-pieces which is a bonus. A solid centre back in the air and has a bit of pace too. Distribution could do with work but an all round good Championship player.

I hear that Kisnorbo says that the championship is much better than the spl and that is why he struggled when he first came here.

He says its far faster,more technical and you have to be much fitter and stronger to play in the championship!

I would say that Celtic would be a top 6 championship side,rangers would be mid table and all the others would be league 2 and that is serious!

You know thats true when you look at teams and see that lots of there top players are from league 2 english teams!

The thing is marc de vries was a legend up at hearts and was doing what he did against tottenham most weeks/

Kisnorbo was shocking for us and genuinlely had no pace. Joe hammil lightweight. Alan maybury could take everything in the spl. and craig levein was a negative manager that could challenge every team apart from the old firm. thank for all the responses however i disagree with the general thought about the spl :)

The thing is marc de vries was a legend up at hearts and was doing what he did against tottenham most weeks/

Kisnorbo was shocking for us and genuinlely had no pace. Joe hammil lightweight. Alan maybury could take everything in the spl. and craig levein was a negative manager that could challenge every team apart from the old firm. thank for all the responses however i disagree with the general thought about the spl :)

not being arsey, just curious as i lived in edinburgh for a year. on reflection what would you have prefered.......

1. to have lost your stadium and not have Mr Moneybags pissing everyone off

or

2. have him pissing everyone off and keeping tynecastle

i used to watch the SPL most televised games, now as others have said it is pretty crap. not sure how much of that is down to a lack of a serious (or even a pretend) challenge to celtic this season.

Kisnorbo - shit midfielder (where Levein loved to play him, and stated it was his best position, booed off the park looked totally lost)

Kisnorbo - Outstanding defender ( I can't think of any players since I have supported Leicester going from the most hated player to a fans favourite and one of if not the best player in the squad and one of the first names on the team sheet since RK moved him to defence)

Maybury looked outstanding when he first arrived now I feel he doesn't want to be here hence the average performances.

so to conclude.... Levein seriously under estimated the level and quality of The Championship and his own pride and refusal to change cost him his job.

not being arsey, just curious as i lived in edinburgh for a year. on reflection what would you have prefered.......

1. to have lost your stadium and not have Mr Moneybags pissing everyone off

or

2. have him pissing everyone off and keeping tynecastle

i used to watch the SPL most televised games, now as others have said it is pretty crap. not sure how much of that is down to a lack of a serious (or even a pretend) challenge to celtic this season.

its actually a really difficult question and has had all hearts supporters split on whether he has been a good influence. and it is not as if he has spent a lot of money on hearts and in the future i genuinely think he will come good when he learns his lesson about employing A PROPER MANAGER! what is exciting is the youth players he has scoured from europe.

as to celtic the fact is that they have flooked a lot of 1-0 wins and the amount of goals they have scored in the last minute..................... the rest of the spl has been incredibally tight and everybody has knocked points off each other

the first game against celtic we won comprehensively 2-1 when i actually thought wed go on to win the league! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK

Archived