Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

RK Didnt want Williams to leave

Leicester City manager Robert Kelly has revealed that he did not want to let midfielder Gareth Williams leave the club.

The 25-year-old yesterday signed a two-and-a-half year deal with the Premiership's bottom side Watford for an undisclosed fee, thought to be around £200,000.

Williams, who made 91 appearances and scored six goals for City, was out of contract at the Walkers Stadium in the summer.

Despite talks over a new deal, Williams decided the lure of Premiership football with the Vicarage Road club was too great to resist.

City manager Kelly said: "Obviously Gareth is a player I didn't want to lose but the club accepted the offer.

"I had spoken to Gareth with regards to a new contract but the move to Watford gives him the chance to play Premiership football. That is where he wants to play.

"In the end we have got the best deal possible for the club.

"Gareth is a smashing lad and has been a great servant to this football club.

"We wish him all the best for the future."

Williams joined City from Nottingham Forest in July 2004, where he was out of contract.

His young age entitled Forest to compensation fee which was set by a tribunal as £500,000 with a further £100,000 if City were promoted in his first season and a 15 per cent sell-on clause.

Forest had originally claimed they would demand between £3million and £5m.

Williams' final start for City came in the 3-2 defeat at Cardiff.

He became the fourth City player to leave the Walkers Stadium during this transfer window, following the departures of Josh Low to Peterborough for up to £100,000, Chris O'Grady to Rotherham for up to £65,000, and Momo Sylla, who was released.

Andy Welsh, who was on loan from Sunderland, has returned to the North East.

Williams, who was not signed in time to make his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford last night, told the Mercury it was not an easy decision to leave City.

"It was tough," admitted Williams, who could make his first Watford appearance at home to Bolton at the weekend.

"It's not easy to leave the team in a difficult position like we are in at the moment. I found it hard to part company with Robert (Kelly) in particular.

Williams added: "He has been very good to me since he has been at the club.

"I think a lot of him as a person and a manager."

For a player who was due to be out of contract in the summer and probably wouldn't have signed a new one i'd say its not a bad deal. The only worry I have is who RK has in mind to be our playmaker, although Williams was largely ineffective at the best of times he was still a player who could make things happen from the middle and get the odd goal or two, Hughes to me looks too lightweight and not commited enough, Weso is an injury worry most of the time and the less said about Andy 'the tramp' Johnson the better.

So he wants Premiership football? He'll get maximum 14 games and I reckon it's nigh on impossible that he'll play in every one of them.

Is it really worth it? He's not Premiership class so 'putting himself in the shop window' doesn't really wash with me. Maybe he knows something we don't.

In any case £200k is a decent amount of money for a lazy player who never really performed.

Good business for Leicester in my book. Bad move for Williams.

So he wants Premiership football? He'll get maximum 14 games and I reckon it's nigh on impossible that he'll play in every one of them.

Is it really worth it? He's not Premiership class so 'putting himself in the shop window' doesn't really wash with me. Maybe he knows something we don't.

In any case £200k is a decent amount of money for a lazy player who never really performed.

You reckon, with the state this clubs in, Watford are in alot better position to regain there premiership status then us!!! :rolleyes:

You reckon, with the state this clubs in, Watford are in alot better position to regain there premiership status then us!!! :rolleyes:

Possibly but I can't see Watford bouncing straight back next year myself. In any case he's not a Premiership player and I can't see this move will do him much good at all.

Im my opinion he should have knuckled down and worked on his game/motivation at Leicester, he had ability and was a great passer. I can't see him setting the world, or even Watford, alight now he's moved.

Yeah, Like signing on fee and a better wage! :thumbup:

"Gareth is a smashing lad and has been a great servant to this football club.

"We wish him all the best for the future."

"It's not easy to leave the team in a difficult position like we are in at the moment. I found it hard to part company with Robert (Kelly) in particular.

Williams added: "He has been very good to me since he has been at the club.

"I think a lot of him as a person and a manager."

As Thracian has said it is all getting a little too cosy at City for players and coach alike. :ph34r::huh::whistle::unsure:

hmmm well i thought we might of got atleast £500,000 maybe thats slightly hopeful though

Wildly optimistic I'd say.

He's not the kind of player who can command a huge fee only a few months before his contract is up. He's hardly going to make or break Watford's season either! He'll probably be a squad player, 200k sounds about right. :whistle:

well if he does as well at watford as Jordo Stewart has then he'll do well.

Good luck to him I always rated him as a very good player who only ever showed glimpses in a city shirt of what he could do.

I think he'll do well at watford, his passing ability will be very useful in the prem and its probably less physical than the championship which suits his style of play.

He shouldn't have any pressure on him this season as watford are just about doomed but I'll look forward to giving him a good reception at the walkers next term.

The club offered Williams a new contract but he said he'd rather play for watford so fair play to the club :thumbup:

True. Nothing we could do about it. Just another case of a player wanting to play at the top level.

Archived