Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Why don't refs give us penalties?

Seems to have happened for years now; we never get our fair share of penalties - and yes, we should have had how many at the weekend?? Or is it because we're poor.

I am flabberghasted as to how poor we really are. If admin. is around the corner and MM deal doesn't come off, we're only going down I'm afraid !!

Have we actually had one yet this season?

Ah yes, doesn't count as I don't remember it as I was watching Sevilla at the time (much more entertaining)

Watching kids play footy in a park is more entertaining these days!!!

I can't remember on many occasssions city having many valid calims to a penalty, and i hate this ...'it all balances out at the end of the season..'

Generally speaking you have to be attacking to get a penalty....

That obviously helps, but we've had several clear cut penalties this season that the refs have chosen not to give us. They've given other teams them against us, one's that looked very soft.

That obviously helps, but we've had several clear cut penalties this season that the refs have chosen not to give us. They've given other teams them against us, one's that looked very soft.

Agreed.

Having said that, quite often I see people on here saying penalties are harsh... and it turns out when I see a replay that Paddy McCarthy has scythed someone down or Kisnorbo has wrestled someone to the ground etc etc etc.

It's cos we need a diving twat like Ronaldo. Has to be good at having a sook and rolling around unnecessarily. I see he did it last night against Spurs as well!

Yeah, but I think Spurs got what was coming as they frequently get away with some 'heavy-handed' defending... as the latest trendy London team, anyway.

Yeah, but I think Spurs got what was coming as they frequently get away with some 'heavy-handed' defending... as the latest trendy London team, anyway.

It didn't have much bearing on the game, Spurs were shite. Still shits me to see that twat get away regularly with that kind of bollocks. Rooney should have dislocated his jaw during the world cup.

Its all about perceptions really, isn't it? To deserve a penalty, you need to get fouled in the box. However, if you give a penalty for a foul in the box, you're going to get an insane amount of stick from players and fans if its anything less than the most blatant. Then try and make the decision in a split second with everyone else getting loads of instant replays to prove you got it wrong and no wonder they go for the "safe" option, even if its wrong. Also, its bloody hard.

However, I don't think the way that we play is really condusive towards getting penalties and we don't have players with the right mentality to encourage the referee to make the decision, whether thats emphasising a small foul by falling on their arse, or just deciding that a penalty would be a nice present and diving.

Archived