Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
gosfox

City Slickers

Who do you think is the most skillful (not neccessarily the best) player ever to pull on the blue shirt.....I know that there have been quite a few to choose from but my vote would have to go to Frankie Worthington.... on his day he could be sublime :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: but who do you think was better than Frankie?

I just missed out on watchung the likes iof Wortho live but have seen plenty on vids, enough to know what a legend he was but as I havent seen him with my own eyes live I`d have to opt for Gary McAllister whose skill and acuracy of a pass on a glorious old Filbert Street is something i`ll never forget. Also, Gary Mills used to surprise me when he used to cut in from the right and beat a few before wasting the ball!

For me the most skillful player on the ball I have ever seen play for City had to be Frank Worthington, if I was asked for the best player that would be harder as Keith Weller was also very skillful but applied himself more and more often. The Bloomfield era could be frustrating, they really should have won something, but it was a great time to watch football at the City, or is that partly looking back and only remembering the great times? I still have not made up my mind if I enjoyed watching what was just about the most attractive and skillful side in the country at the time or if winning the 2 league cups under MON was my favorite time as a City fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9lGszn0jM

Leic V Luton 1974

Even the Birch looks class

Pick from any

Thanks for putting that up. Brilliant footage.

What a pair of wingers Glover and Weller were. They could open any defence in the land and Wortho must have thought it was Christmas every week being in the centre.

Did you notice the crowd. Hardly a space to be seen - not like today's FA cupties with whole sections of the ground empty.

One of the reasons was the characters - like Wortho when he knocked the ball out of the goallies hands but it was also the playing approach. People would take folk on and really attack the box.

That game would never have started in today's over-protected atmosphere, of course. In fact there was a youth game at Belvoir Drive the other day which was cancelled with the pitch loads better than that. "Yes we'll teach you all you need to know but we won't let you out in the wet lads, don't worry".

Yet the Luton produced some exhilerating, attacking football and as far as I recall everyone got safely home despite the "terrible risks" of playing on such a quagmire.

What a good example too of what I'd like to see again from Leicester. Proper football. Instead of this over-coached chess we try to call football.

What a pair of wingers Glover and Weller were. They could open any defence in the land and Wortho must have thought it was Christmas every week being in the centre.

Did you notice the crowd. Hardly a space to be seen - not like today's FA cupties with whole sections of the ground empty.

One of the reasons was the characters - like Wortho when he knocked the ball out of the goallies hands but it was also the playing approach. People would take folk on and really attack the box.

That game would never have started in today's over-protected atmosphere, of course. In fact there was a youth game at Belvoir Drive the other day which was cancelled with the pitch loads better than that. "Yes we'll teach you all you need to know but we won't let you out in the wet lads, don't worry".

Yet the Luton produced some exhilerating, attacking football and as far as I recall everyone got safely home despite the "terrible risks" of playing on such a quagmire.

What a good example too of what I'd like to see again from Leicester. Proper football. Instead of this over-coached chess we try to call football.

What a pair of wingers Josh Low and Momo Sylla were ;):P

Agree 100% :thumbup::thumbup: it almost seemed as if you were watching a completely different game to the one thats played now......If someone tried Wortho's trick of knocking the ball out of the keepers hands, as in the footage, he would be instantly red carded nowadays :blink:

Perhaps this footage ought to be shown to the people that ruin....sorry run..... the "beautiful game" just to remind then that football is, alledgedly, an entertainment .....

Wow, just watched that...

Loved the ball juggling to waste a bit of time and entertain the crowd. Weller's goal was just amazing!

How the hell did we not win more with the team we had then?

Also makes you realise how sterile the grounds can be now, terracing used to be like a flippin mosh pit!!

:cry:

Wow, just watched that...

Loved the ball juggling to waste a bit of time and entertain the crowd. Weller's goal was just amazing!

How the hell did we not win more with the team we had then?

Also makes you realise how sterile the grounds can be now, terracing used to be like a flippin mosh pit!!

:cry:

So many sides in that era had some great ball playing players. As good as our lads were there were soem real quality players around then. Its just a shame that we havent got as many showmen as we did in that era today. Todays player seems like he doesnt want to make an error because it could cost his team a goal. The old boys used to be more carefree about there games and you wouldnt see the likes of Georgie Best or Rodney Marsh running back if they conceeded possesion, they`ll be too bladdered for that chasing back stuff!

I remember Mancini chipping the ball from the right wing to muzzy against Chelsea (2-1 win - I think Rowett scored?!) he lifted it about 15 yards into a crowded penalty area...in terms of accuracy, weight of the pass and the confusion it caused to a top flight defence it was the best piece of individual skill I have seen in 25 years at Leicester...it landed right on muzzy's toe but sadly muz missed the target from 5 yards :(

Id have to say that Muzzy was consitently the most skillful, the goals at Grimsby and at home against Spurs were something special....

Hard to argue that anyone other than Keith Weller has been our most gifted player, but I'd give a 'could have been' award to central midfielder Andy Peake. He wasn't quite strong enough to be the complete article, but he had oceans of skill, and a habit of scoring long range screamers. Played for us in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember sitting in the Double Decker and watching him score a screamer against Liverpool.

Ended up with Middlesborough and played for them in the first season of the Prem back in the early 90s.

Hard to argue that anyone other than Keith Weller has been our most gifted player, but I'd give a 'could have been' award to central midfielder Andy Peake. He wasn't quite strong enough to be the complete article, but he had oceans of skill, and a habit of scoring long range screamers. Played for us in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember sitting in the Double Decker and watching him score a screamer against Liverpool.

Ended up with Middlesborough and played for them in the first season of the Prem back in the early 90s.

If that was the Leicester v Liverpool 1980 match where we won 2-0 - that was my first game, I was sat in the stand opposite.

Archived