Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
blue blood

LCFC signings that pleasantly surprised you.

Not many in recent years but I though David Connolly and Dion Dublin were great captures at the time and was convinced that they'd score a hat full between them in their first season with us.... 10 games on and they only had about 2 between them i think!

Gotta be clarke for me - a real attempt to join the big clubs of the time but it failed.

In the early 70's I Can't remember being disappointed with anyone Bloomfield signed and latterly I actually thought Thatcher was just the sort of player who would do well here- just shows you how as footy fans it all ends in disappointment !

I remember sitting in the car listening to the radio when it was announced we've bought Mark Draper. He was touted as England quality in the media and the fact we spent so much (£1.25mil if I remember right) on just one player was really exciting. I think Lee Philpott was our present record signing at £350,000 until Drapes turned up.

During the season he was with us, he did stand out as though. Excellent player and one I'll certainly remember.

Garry Parker's signature (as a replacement for Draper) was also a pleasant surprise too... and another player that was a different class to the majotity of the team.

Off topic, I know, but UN-pleasantly surprised signings... how about Speedie - our bloody nemesis. I hated the fact we bought him at first despite knowing what a good player he was - turned out to be an excellent player for us. Also, Steve Claridge wasn't exactly welcomed in my household at the time. He always seemed to me to be a scruffy looking, average first division player - how wrong was I? (not about the scruffy, though lol)

Neil Lennon.

We have signed bigger names but they have failed.

My ol man watched him play may times for NI so I followed his form, delighted when he turned down Big Ron at Cov .

Didn't help when he asked him wlhat position he played.

Fact that he is still playing at a high level possibly makes him one of our best ever signings

Gotta be clarke for me - a real attempt to join the big clubs of the time but it failed.

In the early 70's I Can't remember being disappointed with anyone Bloomfield signed and latterly I actually thought Thatcher was just the sort of player who would do well here- just shows you how as footy fans it all ends in disappointment !

I'd say he was very good for us :unsure:

The signings of Weller, Birchenall , and Sammels for around 100,000 each was akin to spending 10 million x 3 now? Record transfer then was around 200,000 ( Martin Peters l think? ) When Wortho joined too we were in seventh heaven. :thumbup:

Archived