Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
blue blood

LCFC signings that pleasantly surprised you.

But he wasn't a high profile 'signing' he was a schoolboy at LCFC, so when we signed him no-one knew who he was!!! Except perhaps his parents... :whistle:

Yeah i know, it was just in reply to Thracian's post.

Please refer to my earlier post on Rab Douglas on the subject of a surprised signing.

You must be joking?? Do you really think i would have chosen Leicester as 'the team' to support in 2003...?? I think not Mr Phubes...

I was quoting Gist!! :blink::dunno::mellow:

Don't be so defensive... it's the argument with FIAB that's got you riled up, isn't it?

So you did, sorry about that but I wasn’t being defensive. I’m not riled up?

Yeah you are, your shoulders are all tense and I can hear you grinding your teeth!!! :):P

You've only supported leicester since 2003?? You've missed a lot!

I know, not the best years to start supporting them. ;)

I've always liked Leicester but only been going down since the 04/05 season when I started taking a real interest.

I'm hoping there will be plenty of pleasant signings in the near future. <_<

Dickov, Sir Les, Muzzy and Matt Elliot

Muzzy was more of a Mustapha who?

Elliot was more like bloody Oxford?

I wouldn't call them pleasently surprised signings however I was more than pleasantly happy once we found out MON had worked a miracle or 3. :)

Stan Collymore and Roverto Mancini are deals that had me thinking "How did we manage that!?"

Stephen Hughes (dont all laugh) also surprised me as I have quite a few Scottish mates who were telling me that if we kept him injury free that he would be the best passer and attacking midfielder in the Championship. Loads actually didnt want him to go apparently.

How wrong they were!

Stan Collymore and Roverto Mancini are deals that had me thinking "How did we manage that!?"

Stephen Hughes (dont all laugh) also surprised me as I have quite a few Scottish mates who were telling me that if we kept him injury free that he would be the best passer and attacking midfielder in the Championship. Loads actually didnt want him to go apparently.

How wrong they were!

You wait until next season when he has a decent manager and coaching staff and manager working with him, perhaps not the best passer in the division but the player you expected.

You wait until next season when he has a decent manager and coaching staff and manager working with him, perhaps not the best passer in the division but the player you expected.

I f**king hope so. I remember a bit of excitement surrounding his arrival at Leicester - I'd heard very good things about him up in Scotland and I'm sure other clubs were interested.

Thing is it's too common a story at the minute - players with potential playing shit - Fryatt, Hughes, Maybury to an extent.

Let's hope we get someone who gets the best out of them as I see that as one of the main reasons why our season has been so poor.

As one who once admired such wonderful players as Kenny Dalglish, Denis Law, Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone I truly applaud your faith in tartan talent.

But if Hughesy's goes to carry our standard from midfield next season he sure does hide his pedigree well.

I do agree that any number of players might do better under more enlightened guidance and tactics - Leicester is one of the few full time professional clubs where half of the first team squad seem to go backwards - but surely Hughes would have shown some indication that he is a non-passing maestro.

Hughes is tricky to assess because he has got a good engine, he does appear busy and he's not too bad on the ball. So what's the problem? I may be wrong but if I had to make a suggestion it would be that he's not quite brave enough to get the goals he should or in the cauldron ofmidfield.

I've mentioned this in respect of his shooting once or twice. Unlike Sylla, Hughes has decent technique. But when he gets into the hot spots he's just that little bit too aware of the danger around him. Unlike Porter, for instance, he starts anticipating tackles and lets his body lose balance.

He'll need a MON or a Roy Keane type to cure that. If I'm right of course.

And he needs to replace a quarter of his defensive work with an additional quarter of attacking work so he's got the time and energy to play the close passes he's quite capable of.

If, that is. he gets the kind of manager mentioned and we don't get someone who has a much wider range of passes and better creative skills.

For someone so quick to criticise players and management alike you do undermine your own arguments by then defending the hopeless Jocks (now Hughes, previously Douglas and Levein).

Face it, Hughes has been a disgrace recently. Get your blinkers off.

Archived