Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Free Falling Foxes

Letting the ball go for a throw-in.

This has irritated me for years.

The ball is heading for touch and a player, unchallenged, could easily keep it in but no, he prefers to get a throw-in.

In my opinion this gives the other team a chance to pick-up markers & you lose momentum etc.

Am I alone or do you agree?

I nearly put this in the general football forum but has it irritates me when City do it, here it is.

FFF

Mostly it happens at the oppositions end of the field. Most players like to let the ball go out, and go for a long throw-in in to the box. It can get annoying sometimes, but it can also be effective and lead to a goal now and then.

What's more annoying is that we are so useless at taking advantage of our throw ins of which I reckon a good 90% end up with the ball in the oppo's possession

What annoys me is when players try and 'shield' the ball for it to go out of play for a goal kick. It is a clear and blatant obstruction. Anywhere else on the pitch and it is a free kick. The forward has no chance of getting the ball and the defenders are laughing. Stupid rule it is allowed to happen.

Players are so scared of messing up these days that they would rather let the ball out and keep possession instead of keeping it in and doing something with it.

Another pet hate of mine at throw ins and corners is how everyone appeals for the decision knowing that its not theres but just try to con the ref. To me this is as bad as diving as someone is blatantly lying trying to get a decision.

It's pathetic. You're on the pitch to play football, which means you'd actually have to have the ball at your feet. Not in your hands. Unless you're a goalkeeper.

As has already been said, you can watch a ball out if you want to appear lazy - all you do is lose the momentum your team had, and allow the opposing team to regroup making your job harder. Or you could lose possession of the ball by giving it away. Like we do.

Keep the ball in and play on ffs.

What annoys me is when players try and 'shield' the ball for it to go out of play for a goal kick. It is a clear and blatant obstruction. Anywhere else on the pitch and it is a free kick. The forward has no chance of getting the ball and the defenders are laughing. Stupid rule it is allowed to happen.

I agree 100%... the defender should be made to touch the ball i.e. under his control... or it's obstruction!!

Short Corners do my head in..... just whip it in!!!! when Tiatto heads over towards Porter Hume etc I feel like shoutin 'F**k Off TiTwatto leave it, it never works!!'

My sentiments exactly, whener we go short we lose it instantly... we're just crap!!

two men at the corner,when it's going to be just put in anyway.Hume especialy!

But at least that drags two defenders out of the box.

Agreed, that does my head in totally, particularly when watching as a neutral. The chances of the little striker being able to nip in and take the ball are very slight, and it's frustrating to watch them try and peel around the defenders 6 foot 4 frame only to end up on his arse, the ball trickling out at 1 mph....AARRGHHH

I find that it seems to be the un-confident players that seem to do. CBs rarely do it and I remember Ben Thatcher would never let it go out of play, he would smack it up the line and it would curl... not going out but coming back in and setting up an attack. He was a top LB :thumbup:

Plus things like what happened in the QPR game with Nils can happen and you can see out a ball that you believe is yours but turns out to be the oppositions.

It's not obstruction, Joe if the player is within playing distance of the ball. He can shield it all day if he wants.

Archived