Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nod.E

mattocks performance tuesday night

First half, he was in front of me, so i could see exactly what he was doing. It was like playing two left backs really, and he looked very nervous and i'm afraid, out of his depth. Second half however you could see the confidence growing, and he got a lot better. For me, i wouldn't play him in this situation. One for the future though.

For a kid who is still 16 until May 15 his performance was immense and more so considering he was out of position.

Maybury was out of position and was weak as wet tissue paper as a result. Mattock just rolled his sleeves up and made a rock-solid contribution.

At least perhaps a few might realise why I have so much more faith in the one than the other.

You could win wars with kids like Mattock and even if you lost em it would be him that would give up.

To coin a football phrase "the lad done well". I'd like to know his natural position. His mazy run in the 2nd half was great to see,even from the Family stand. Maybury looked poor tonight and if this lad is his understudy get him in.

Left-back.

Surely. :unsure:

To coin a football phrase "the lad done well". I'd like to know his natural position. His mazy run in the 2nd half was great to see,even from the Family stand. Maybury looked poor tonight and if this lad is his understudy get him in.

His natural position is standing next to anyone in the Academy who makes a cock-up and giving them the rollicking of their lives. :whistle::D :D

Thats the first time I have seen the lad and he was very good considering his age. The question that needs answering is why is it that a non-Leicester bloke is the one to come in and play Mattock when the likes of RK omitted him from the first team?

First half, we didn't play the ball to him for him to do anything worthwhile. He isn't naturally a winger, but can play there and would hold his own if we gave him the ball for him to run at defenders. He did look nervous and almost out of his depth in the first half. The team was a shambles in the first half and a 16 year old kid is always going to struggle in that situation.

Second half I thought he was excellent and that run he went on is evidence that he's got a natural instinct to run at players without fear. I just wish he wasn't as eager to whack that shot that Cadamarteri had tee'd himself up for. lol

Not sure whether it's right to pitch him in to a relegation dog fight and i'm not sure whether putting any other academy lads in will help. But having said that the current first team bunch are an embarrassment and a disgrace. Mattock might still have some way to go to make it, but there isn't any other left sided players that deserve to be playing instead of him at the minute.

Very impressed with him, I hope he's one who can get better each season he plays. Too many false dawns with our youngsters, I hope this one's the real deal.

We shouldn't be throwing kids into the team in our mess. Was out of his depth, simple as.

I thought it was thank God for kids like Weso and Mattock last night. And Steaman too for that matter who put a shaky start behind him, so nearly headed a goal, almost lured a trip for a penalty, and spent so much of the second half in the front third of the field trying to make something happen. And all this while the veteran Maybury and the experienced Jarratt sculked away unlamented.

Considering his age and he was out of position I thought he played very well especially in the second half, as someone said in the first half it was like we had two left backs.

If we're going to use him however, I think it should be at left back.

We shouldn't be throwing kids into the team in our mess. Was out of his depth, simple as.

So when should we be throwing them in, these days you're either trying to get promoted or trying to avoid relegation, there's never a 'perfect time'.

The simple fact is he appears to be the best left back at the club certainly better than Maybury who was as normal awful last night and Nissa who was even shocking at CB.

It's a good adage to always play your best players even when you'r in the shit.

Considering his age and he was out of position I thought he played very well especially in the second half, as someone said in the first half it was like we had two left backs.

If we're going to use him however, I think it should be at left back.

Especially if it means we never have to see Maybury in a city shirt again.

Looked promising, nothing more to add that hasn't already been said.

First half, we didn't play the ball to him for him to do anything worthwhile. He isn't naturally a winger, but can play there and would hold his own if we gave him the ball for him to run at defenders. He did look nervous and almost out of his depth in the first half. The team was a shambles in the first half and a 16 year old kid is always going to struggle in that situation.

Second half I thought he was excellent and that run he went on is evidence that he's got a natural instinct to run at players without fear. I just wish he wasn't as eager to whack that shot that Cadamarteri had tee'd himself up for. lol

Not sure whether it's right to pitch him in to a relegation dog fight and i'm not sure whether putting any other academy lads in will help. But having said that the current first team bunch are an embarrassment and a disgrace. Mattock might still have some way to go to make it, but there isn't any other left sided players that deserve to be playing instead of him at the minute.

Very impressed with him, I hope he's one who can get better each season he plays. Too many false dawns with our youngsters, I hope this one's the real deal.

Have faith Ric. They'll be even better when they're settled into a team playing like we did second half - in their style - and when there's one or two more of em cementing our weaknesses.

Wesolowski, Mattock, Porter, probably King should all be first choices and when they are it will bring the best out of people like Stearman, Sheehan and the forgotten Dodds who must have hated the Kelly approach.

Bring on the Beagle's I say. We have so much collective ability at the club it makes me weep to see some of the indifferent plodders who are somehow still allowed to wear the shirt.

Have faith Ric. They'll be even better when they're settled into a team playing like we did second half - in their style - and when there's one or two more of em cementing our weaknesses.

Wesolowski, Mattock, Porter, probably King should all be first choices and when they are it will bring the best out of people like Stearman, Sheehan and the forgotten Dodds who must have hated the Kelly approach.

Bring on the Beagle's I say. We have so much collective ability at the club it makes me weep to see some of the indifferent plodders who are somehow still allowed to wear the shirt.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for bringing the kids through. They have a part to play, but unless we are going to play 11 of them, there are still going to be so called first team players out there that seem to be clueless and like they've given up the fight. Now if that's the case, it's hardly fair to have some in-experienced kids in there shouldering the blame for what's gone on.

If Worthington can select the right team and play the right football for the remaining 3 games then we'll be fine. But there's a self destruct button that many of our players have their finger on and they seem ready to press it at any time.

Talking of Porter was he dropped or injured?

Talking of Porter was he dropped or injured?

Good question. He has been poor for several weeks so I can understand if he was dropped, but we are lacking in left sided players and hope this gives him the kick up the arse to get back to his best. Similar to what happened back in November/December would be nice.

One swallow does not a summer make.

However for 16, the lad indicates that it may be a good summer.

Let's hope it's not in Brighton & Bournmouth

I thought the first half he was a bit lost and finding his feet. I felt for him when he didnt catch that first ball he tried to put into the box and thought "oh no dont crumble"!

The difference between players and great players is the great ones put bad things instantly behind them and crack on. Their head doesnt drop and they get even more stuck in. Too many of the Leicester plays fall into the previous catergory. Joe however showed that one day he could be a top drawer player as he came back and put in an outstanding second half and was up for Man of the Match with Newton for me, especially considering his age and the game he was playing in.

And what a game it was to make your full debut - they would give any Premiership side a good game outside the top 6. The were tall, strong and quick and well organised. I think that surprised Mattock a bit at first cos he realised how little time he had on the ball, but second half he stepped it up and got in there.

He is a left back by trade and he showed it by how he played when Maybury went off. He did more in that 15-20 mins than Maybury did the previous 70 odd.

Worked hard both sides of the ball, chased down everything and had a real battle with a seasoned pro like N'Gotty - something Porter simply could not do.

In the end I even spotted Bruce telling their final sub (Campbell was it?) just to go on and stop Mattock running at them.

Bravo young sir!

First half, he really looked out of his depth and was proving to be a bad decision to play him.

Second half, was how a youngster should be blooded. He was moved to left-back where he was under no pressure. Birmingham rarely threatened, giving him more of a chance to settle and concentrate. From then, he made a good run and put in a decent performance. Nothing spectacular, just right.

I'm guessing shooting isn't his strong point from the effort he took off Cadamarteri's toe.

Well done to the lad on his full debut.

Ive always said that nurturing the academy kids must be the way to do it, similarly to Sir Al and Manure with his kids. Ideally it would be loan the lad out, then play him in a league cup game or two and bring him in towrads the end of the season to see how he reacts. This poor sod has been slung straight into the deep end as we fight for survival and the heads are down which ordinarily isnt the way to go. Lets hope the battle proves to be the making of him.

Archived