Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Iain Dowie

To be honest, I don't think getting a manager should be too much of a problem. Unless you get a total imbecile in the transfer market like Peter Taylor, with MM's money the sky is the limit. Just look at Sunderland, Roy Keane is no miracle worker, he has just spotted the right players and brought them in. Good players can basically coach themselves and all the manager is there to do is pick them on the team sheet.

I wouldn't be disappointed really with Dowie, or Coleman, or Ince, or..............

For me, 90% depends on the playing side.

Have to say I pretty much disagree with most that you've said! I reckon the manager is without doubt the most important person at the club. While just "spotting the right player and bringing them in" is part of it (an ability very few managers we get seem to have) you've then got to mould said players into a team. So it's the coaching, the tactics, the motivation, the preparation, the ability to change a game with a sub or change of formation. Milan could buy us 11 new good players, but without the right leadership it wouldn't work. I reckon half the game is won or lost in players heads before they go out on the pitch. This is where a good manager earns his pay, and basicaly what separates the MON's from the Leveins.

Has Dowie got it, gut feeling says he hasn't.

Have to say I pretty much disagree with most that you've said! I reckon the manager is without doubt the most important person at the club. While just "spotting the right player and bringing them in" is part of it (an ability very few managers we get seem to have) you've then got to mould said players into a team. So it's the coaching, the tactics, the motivation, the preparation, the ability to change a game with a sub or change of formation. Milan could buy us 11 new good players, but without the right leadership it wouldn't work. I reckon half the game is won or lost in players heads before they go out on the pitch. This is where a good manager earns his pay, and basicaly what separates the MON's from the Leveins.

Has Dowie got it, gut feeling says he hasn't.

Dead right.

Leaving footballers to coach and motivate themselves would be a disaster.

Footballers are up there with every other entertainer in that they like to be praised, pampered, told they're a bit special and so on.

Basically they need constant reassurance and remotivating to get the very best out of them.

Even the best can get deeply depressed in a bad run - either of results or of personal performances.

Yes, top players but also many others have an inner pride - an attitude which says "this is my job and I will always, whatever, do my best and try to do justice to myself."

But even they get down and lose confidence, worry about their role in the team, a niggling injury, some friction they have with a team-mate and so on.

Great managers can lifit individuals and teams like a great orator can lift a crowd. Bill Shankly, Brian Clough, MON were masters.

Others use a fear factor. Not all the time because the effect would wear of. But it forever smoulders. Keane will be like that. Quiet as a mouse and calm as the Sargasso Sea. His message will be as clear as it might be understated. And the motivation for the players will be keeping it that way...by winning.

Keane is powerful enough to be a benevolent dictator. He might appear to overlook something, or to quietly offer a second chance.

But he won't forgive failure or bad attitudes.

He might avoid immediate conflict if it suits him and reaction might wait. But nothing will be forgotten and folk will live in fear, not of making mistakes cos even he's made plenty of those, but of letting him down in a tangible way like bottling a tackle, hiding when the flak flies, failing to take responsibility, passing the buck after a clattering.

Managers have huge influence. Look how many of our players have underperformed because not had that sort of inspiring leadership.

Can you honestly imagine Roy Keane advocating defence overload or any sort of concession to the opposition? Cos I can't.

Just look at Sunderland, Roy Keane is no miracle worker, he has just spotted the right players and brought them in. Good players can basically coach themselves and all the manager is there to do is pick them on the team sheet.

Ah, the naievity of youth :whistle:

1. Roy Keane is a motivator AND a miracle worker, and probably the sort of guy you would sweat blood for;

2. Good players might be good players but getting them to work as a team takes a basic knowledge of team building and psychology, the most difficult managerial task of all.

Archived