Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sooper Steve's shin

Stand up if you hate friendlies...

I hate friendlies. All they ever seem to do is get your hopes up - "Wow, we looked good against Kettering, we'll be promoted for sure", that sort of thing. I am as guilty as anyone for falling for it. I thought Dublin and Connolly would rip up the league when they were banging them in during summer trips to Iceland or wherever we went, but did they do in the league? You are forced to look for the score, but what does a 1-0 win against Lincoln tell you? Nothing.

They are useful, of course, and the only way to build proper match fitness for the players. But there are always players (and teams) who look great in the summer but fizzle out when the season starts.

On a slightly related note, all summer games (until around early September) seem a bit weird to me - especially when it's hot. There is just something about it that's not quite right - it doesn't feel the same heading to the Walkers in shorts and t-shirts, it's like we're on holiday.

Maybe it's just me.

Well I like 'em.

Means there's matches we can go to... :D:pirate:

True, but I just can't get excited when it doesn't matter a jot if we win, lose or draw. Maybe that's why I actually thought it was a good thing (in terms of entertainment/excitement) that we got sucked into relegation danger last year after it had looked like we might coast in mid-table...

It's not so much the results I care about as seeing how the teams are being put together, familiarising myself with the new faces and the comeraderie of meeting old friends and bouncing some ideas around.

I love to see who's coming through to make an impact on the game, to see which newcomers seem to be worth the wages we've spent, to see how the work on the training ground translates to the pitch, which systems are favoured and so much more.

Nothing about football bores me, friendly or serious. I could watch coaches set up different training routines all day and enjoy gauging how successful or otherwise they seem to be.

Even with friendlies I live the situation to the point where whenever I see a guy being closed down on his blind side I want to shout "man on" or in other situations "give it simple", "hit the space" and so on.

It was fascinating today how MA stopped training to tell the players they were much too quiet. Suddenly there were voices everywhere and the play was better. It felt like the season was really on its way again.

In Kelly's time one of our major faults was the lack of talking but you cannot see it being the case under Allen and once the friendlies start we'll see what progress has been made.

It's not so much the results I care about as seeing how the teams are being put together, familiarising myself with the new faces and the comeraderie of meeting old friends and bouncing some ideas around.

I love to see who's coming through to make an impact on the game, to see which newcomers seem to be worth the wages we've spent, to see how the work on the training ground translates to the pitch, which systems are favoured and so much more.

Nothing about football bores me, friendly or serious. I could watch coaches set up different training routines all day and enjoy gauging how successful or otherwise they seem to be.

Even with friendlies I live the situation to the point where whenever I see a guy being closed down on his blind side I want to shout "man on" or in other situations "give it simple", "hit the space" and so on.

It was fascinating today how MA stopped training to tell the players they were much too quiet. Suddenly there were voices everywhere and the play was better. It felt like the season was really on its way again.

In Kelly's time one of our major faults was the lack of talking but you cannot see it being the case under Allen and once the friendlies start we'll see what progress has been made.

I'm glad to hear about that. I was concerned that there was a lack of noise at the training ground last week. Noise of any form. There wasn't going to be much in terms of technical shouts because there were no matches being played but there was very little communication between players during drills. No friendly chatter or competitive digs. Talk of any kind should be encouraged imo, even a negative comment, if it's deserved, doesn't have to be a bad thing. It can be used to spur on people around you. Not only does chatter help your team mates out it can also intimidate opposition if they're confronted by a team full of chirpy players who at least sound like they know what they're doing.

I just want to ...have a laugh and sing a song or two. What better thing would I possibly be doing?

That's what Singstar is for. :thumbup:

total agreement!

On the talking thing, it's bound to get all these new players to work together as a team far quicker if they are communicating constantly on the pitch.

As much as anything else this season, the pre-season friendlies will be crucial for so many new players to get to used to playing together.

I like the fact that the players often come back all sun tanned and carrying a bit of weight, and some of them are clearly not yet match fit when the friendly games come along.

At Dundee United a few years ago, a few of the City team looked like little fat oompah loompahs. There were cheeks being puffed out and hands on knees before half time.

My inner voice thinks - "see - they're HUMAN, they're struggling... you could do that, you could play professional football".

Then again, my inner voice talks a lot of rubbish.

:whistle:

Friendlies have there place as it give sthe manager the chance to get his new players familiarised with each other and how they play. This is particularly important this season with so many new first teamers in who dont know each others games. It also should allow the players to not only get fit but to also get their confidence up by winning. I know it may only be against lower league or amateur sides but winning is a habit and if the lads do well they hopefully will carry that confidence into the start of the season.

The only negative thing from these games are inhuries. We may all have an idea of what the first 11 will be come the first saturday in the season but lets hope that the line up isnt majorly altered by injuries.

We really need to hit the ground running this season and who knows what may happen from there!

i like friendlies as a little taster before the season, see the new kits and players. they get boring after a few, but it's good getting your hopes up after smashing Kettering 4-1, or thinking 'we were just getting some fitness work in' after a 3-1 defeat at Accrington. nothing beats the excitement of the 1st weekend of the season but i can't recall winning one of them for a good while now - 2003??

Archived