Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tevez

Mike Stowell

Link

Stowell set for dramatic U-turn

Former Leicester assistant manager Mike Stowell could be set to return to the Walkers Stadium as the club's new goalkeeping coach.

Stowell, who was Rob Kelly's number two before the duo were sacked in April, joined the coaching set-up at Swindon on Monday but has since left his post amid reports Foxes boss Martin Allen has offered him improved terms to return to the Championship side.

Swindon manager Paul Sturrock said: "I was not going to stand in Mike's way because Leicester is a lot closer to his family home and he knows the club well having been there last season.

"The timing is unfortunate and we are disappointed to have lost him. But we will move on and look to make a swift appointment to replace him."

I don't think anyone questioned his goalkeeping coaching skills, in fact IIRC Henderson and Logan made considerable improvements under him. Happy with this news.

I can't say I noticed any improvement in Henderson from when he joined to when he last played, Never saw Logan before Stowells arrived so can't comment.

Considering neither are seen as a unanimous first choice I'd question the justification of his excellent coaching skills. But if that's what Allen wants then that's fine.

Hope not, he didn't manage to teach either Hendo or Logan the communication skills to interact and organise defences. Yes we have seen slighlt improvement in boths shot-stopping but on crosses, under the rule of Stowell, both were appalling.

All the coaching in the world cound't help Hendo n Logan get better at crosses. I think we saw a defiate improvment in hendo when Stowell was there. Logan got worse when he left. So could be good to have him back.

Bad decision in my opinion.

This would be like marrying an ugly bird, divorcing her, then bringing her back to be your personal cook or something.

She is bound to poison the steak.

Could be worse. Kevin Pressman could be the goal keeping coach. Then that really would "poison the steak"

I want Thracian's updated points total now...and a mark out of ten for Fez's analogy please.

:D

Tricky to comment on Mike Stowell's return, if it happens.

He seemed a good enough goalkeeping coach. I don't think either Henderson or Logan let us down particularly considering their basic ability.

Stowell worked hard trying to improve their kicking, with only moderate success admittedly. Both keepers remain slow to redistribute the ball by hand but that is partly because our defenders so rarely take a position quickly enough to receive a throw-out.

I also wonder if Stowell will help with the Reserves. He and Beaglehole have filled that role in the past and I think Stowell seemed a better, more adventurous manager without Kelly's influence.

For instance he took charge of City against Hinckley last season if I recall and there was nothing negative about that approach.

No marks either way, I'm afraid. MA remains on +13.5.

Fez's analogy? More romance than reality but he gets a verbal Michelin Star, entertainment wise.

Good to see you're back Dags, and almost on cue. :thumbup:

MA remains on +13.5.

Shit the bed! :angry:

I must have missed some marks being awarded, the last thing I knew Allen was on 11 points.

This is like missing three and a half episodes of Big Brother and discovering that you've haven't seen a lesbian kiss, frottage in the pool and an lager-fuelled punch-up.

Life will never be the same again.

It's official

New Goalkeeper Coach Announcement Posted on: Thu 12 Jul 2007

Good morning,

Late last night I agreed with Mike Stowell that he will become our goalkeeper coach. He will be signing a two-year contract. I had a good chat with him. I informed him that any talk of the past is strictly out of bounds. It is only today and tomorrow - and to go forward. There have been many, many changes - many different bits and pieces he will have to adapt to pretty quick - not live in the past or talk about the past and move forward.

He has a reputation as an excellent goalkeeper coach and I feel that he will improve our goalkeepers and help develop our goalkeepers of all ages. He will be a tremendous asset to me personally and my coaching team. That is the important thing for me - to get people that are better than me to improve me and to make us all round better coaches and managers for the long term. He is definitely someone that I can learn from.

He is not just a yes man. He is not just a Muppet that nods his head every day. He will have an opinion and I like that.

Take care,

Martin

Archived