Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

From chumps to champions

If I'm going to climb on the Optimistic Bus I'm damned if I'm going to sit at the back!

Of course you can think of reasons we won't win the League but like MA I don't want to think about them - I don't want to worry about the opposition at all.

Will any of those reasons be stronger than Spurs, of Charlton when we played them in the Cup, or Bolton, Fulham, Aston Villa who we so nearly matched with a team that wouldn't have shone on Viccy Park.

To me there's just one reason our real target has to be the top two...but it's a compelling one.

Martin Allen is many good things but he's never been a winner in the play offs. :rolleyes:

Erm all the above is bollocks, we aren't going up automatically, I gurantee it. The opposition cleary is important as it's them we will be playing whether you want to think about them or not, they too have teams and fans who will be thinking like you and as much as you may think Leicester are special and will win the league if they play well, sorry doesn't work like that.

We have 46 games to play these are not one off glamour cup ties against premiership opposition. The players will not be raising their games at Home Park and Selhurt Park for BBC TV cameras will they, cup ties often lie. League tables rarely do.

Erm all the above is bollocks, we aren't going up automatically, I gurantee it. The opposition cleary is important as it's them we will be playing whether you want to think about them or not, they too have teams and fans who will be thinking like you and as much as you may think Leicester are special and will win the league if they play well, sorry doesn't work like that.

We have 48 games to play these are not one off glamour cup ties against premiership opposition. The players will not be raising their games at Home Park and Selhurt Park for BBC TV cameras will they, cup ties often lie. League tables rarely do.

Everyone...come look.

For once I can see us being competitive, and that is saying something from this time last year. I didn't think we'd struggle as much as we did, but dear me, did anyone think at this time last season that we'd actually be chasing promotion? Not with the players we bought in. This season I expect us to be up there challenging- not necessarily for automatic as I think there are a few better teams in the league than us, but certainly to be in and about the play-offs.

I've begun to look at it like this. Milan expects us to be top 6 this season- anything less will be classed as failure. Why should we settle for anything less? If the chairman of the football club I support expects it, then I do to. I could say I would be fairly happy with top half or top ten, as some other posters are saying, but if that happened it wouldn't keep MA in the job. Let's be frank, if MA doesn't make the play-offs or come mighty damn close then he'll be out on his ear.

But for who?

I know circumstances and perceptions change but that was a massive list of potential managers we waded through before MA's appointment and, generally speaking, it was hardly inspiring.

I doubt any manager in the League could have made so many changes as quickly as Martin Allen - most of them categorically for the better.

So lets say he fails - in that he's unable to lift us above halfway.

No, I cannot imagine it. Life would be too wretched in the Allen household for that to be likely.

But say it did. Allen remains the most quotable, charismatic and focused manager we've had since MON and look how he started. MM says we're on a three-year plan and my feeling is we should stick with it rather than contemplate another upheaval.

Getting rid of Levein and Kelly was totally different. Apart from results neither had the public personna to be what we want in a manager.

Media exposure is important for a club to be taken seriously, for generating ticket sales, attracting sponsorship and to give us credibility with potential signings.

Martin Allen is a journalists dream. He's quotable, he's a walking book of anecdotes, he's innovative and a bit eccentric.

If it's at all possible I'd stick with him - barring complete disaster - and let him rebuild the club around his principles.

We've waited a long time for success. We can wait a little longer if it doesn't come at once. And I hope MM feels that way too.

One thing is for sure, life at a Mandaric-run club is never dull - just look at Portsmouth. How many managers, coaches, players etc did they go through in his tenure there.............

The doors on the Walkers will need to be swtiched to revolving ones!

We have 46 games to play these are not one off glamour cup ties against premiership opposition. The players will not be raising their games at Home Park and Selhurt Park for BBC TV cameras will they, cup ties often lie. League tables rarely do.

Forget the glamour cup ties.

That piss-poor team of ours - truly the worst I've seen in City colours, beat promoted sheffield Unsited 4-2, beat promoted Watford away, should have beaten Reading at home, drew with and should have beaten Sunderland away, beat Wolves away, drew at Birmingham and at home to West Brom etc, etc.

Who the hell have we got to be bothered about. Let them worry about us. Cos better players or not, every opponent is going to know they've been in a game against us. Even at this early stage our closing down has been eye-opening - hence so few shots at our goal.

Given that we have far more players who can retain possession than in recent years we should have far more scoring chances too. My only concern is whether we have the right players to take them.

Everyone...come look.

lol

Apart from that - everything ManPa says is the truth.

Seriously, anyone thinking we are going up automatically needs to address themselves in no uncertain terms. Why build up such unrealistic hopes? The only end product of that will be a bitter sense of disappointment and irrational demands for unrealistic signings come Xmas and the managers head come May. It's daft.

Forget the glamour cup ties.

That piss-poor team of ours - truly the worst I've seen in City colours, beat promoted sheffield Unsited 4-2, beat promoted Watford away, should have beaten Reading at home, drew with and should have beaten Sunderland away, beat Wolves away, drew at Birmingham and at home to West Brom etc, etc.

Who the hell have we got to be bothered about. Let them worry about us. Cos better players or not, every opponent is going to know they've been in a game against us. Even at this early stage our closing down has been eye-opening - hence so few shots at our goal.

Given that we have far more players who can retain possession than in recent years we should have far more scoring chances too. My only concern is whether we have the right players to take them.

And? We aren't the only club that got results against the better teams in this division every team has good performances and bad performances and they even them selves out over the season to give you a final league table. Those teams that we beat were more consistent than us, they didn't lost at home to Hull QPR and Burnley did they? What are you talking about let them worry about us, whos worried about any one. They're better than us simple as that.

But for who?

I know circumstances and perceptions change but that was a massive list of potential managers we waded through before MA's appointment and, generally speaking, it was hardly inspiring.

I doubt any manager in the League could have made so many changes as quickly as Martin Allen - most of them categorically for the better.

So lets say he fails - in that he's unable to lift us above halfway.

No, I cannot imagine it. Life would be too wretched in the Allen household for that to be likely.

But say it did. Allen remains the most quotable, charismatic and focused manager we've had since MON and look how he started. MM says we're on a three-year plan and my feeling is we should stick with it rather than contemplate another upheaval.

Getting rid of Levein and Kelly was totally different. Apart from results neither had the public personna to be what we want in a manager.

Media exposure is important for a club to be taken seriously, for generating ticket sales, attracting sponsorship and to give us credibility with potential signings.

Martin Allen is a journalists dream. He's quotable, he's a walking book of anecdotes, he's innovative and a bit eccentric.

If it's at all possible I'd stick with him - barring complete disaster - and let him rebuild the club around his principles.

We've waited a long time for success. We can wait a little longer if it doesn't come at once. And I hope MM feels that way too.

I'd hope so too, I like the way MA does his business (although I'll reserve hyperbole until we start getting results in the Championship) but I'm simply being realistic. Milan is only slightly more patient with regard to achieving success then the Kop are with Mark De Vries. He's spent the cash and he expects the success- he's said he wants the play-offs. If he doesn't get that, or at least damn close with the money he's let MA spend then there's no doubt in my mind that he will sack him and bring in someone else.

I wonder if every team has a Thracian and what would happen if you gave them all £500 and locked them in a real ale pub for 3 days.

And? We aren't the only club that got results against the better teams in this division every team has good performances and bad performances and they even them selves out over the season to give you a final league table. Those teams that we beat were more consistent than us, they didn't lost at home to Hull QPR and Burnley did they? What are you talking about let them worry about us, whos worried about any one. They're better than us simple as that.

We'll be consistent enough this season and the indications have already been seen in the friendlies.

Man for man we're a better team right through and we've much more back up. Even people who played in last season's team, like Wesolowski and Sterman are looking much better this season and are a valuable year older, stronger and more experienced.

And, even now we're still trying to strengthen further. I cannot see relaxation mode knocking in.

I don't agree with MP. You are underestimating the effect Allen will have on our championship compared to the destructive managing the top teams e.g. West Brom, Sheffield and even Coventry have in place. I'm also sure that we would get another two top championship players by the end of January. TBH defence is still our weak point.

I don't agree with MP. You are underestimating the effect Allen will have on our championship compared to the destructive managing the top teams e.g. West Brom, Sheffield and even Coventry have in place. I'm also sure that we would get another two top championship players by the end of January. TBH defence is still our weak point.

lol

Charlton, Sheffield United, Wolves, West Brom and Watford all have better squads than us but history would indicate that not all of those teams will finish in the top six.

In my opinion it would be silly to rule anything out. Leeds lost in the Championship play-off final 14 months ago and look where they are now compared with Derby who finished that same season in the bottom six.

lol

Charlton, Sheffield United, Wolves, West Brom and Watford all have better squads than us but history would indicate that not all of those teams will finish in the top six.

In my opinion it would be silly to rule anything out. Leeds lost in the Championship play-off final 14 months ago and look where they are now compared with Derby who finished that same season in the bottom six.

Come on, be relative. They've spent money on good players. They'll just ruin them.

We'll be consistent enough this season and the indications have already been seen in the friendlies.

Man for man we're a better team right through and we've much more back up. Even people who played in last season's team, like Wesolowski and Sterman are looking much better this season and are a valuable year older, stronger and more experienced.

And, even now we're still trying to strengthen further. I cannot see relaxation mode knocking in.

Freindlies against SHIT TEAMS! one of which we beat 5-0 with a bunch of kids out last season for pitys sake, the are freindlies against teams who are nowhere near as good as the teams we will be faceing, the best team played has been a mid table League Two outfit or a second rate Scottish first division team, take your pick of which you rate more. Championship football will be a totally differernt kettle of fish.

and yes, we are much better man for man, much better than a team that finished 19th. Not good enough to win the division your going overboard for some reason alot of Leicester fans like to do this, when we're shit we're heading for the play offs. And when we're heading for the play offs we're heading for 1st palce :rolleyes:

I will be absloutley ****ing ECSTATIC if we make the play offs.

And yes, we are much better man for man, much better than a team that finished 19th. Not good enough to win the division your going overboard for some reason alot of Leicester fans like to do this, when we're shit we're heading for the play offs. And when we're heading for the play offs we're heading for 1st palce :rolleyes:

I will be absloutley ****ing ECSTATIC if we make the play offs.

I tend to agree. Even if we finish 11th or 12th I won't be at all unhappy.

That doesn't make sense.

Coventry bought good players which they'll ruin. They've got something like ten first team strikers to start with. Some of them are bound to go down the drain.

Why make a rational argument when you can make a completely illogical nonsensical one? :blink:

Sorry, I've seen worse posts than my insignificant non-explanation.

Archived