Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

An Inconvenient Truth

Guest ttfn

I don't think people have quite appreciated the importance of this season. Lots of people have said that they would be happy with a top 10 finish. The fact is that that is not good enough. The teams relegated from the Prem at the end of the season will have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on transfers and wages, so much so that they will have enough to virtually guarantee bouncing straight back. This season is it, the last on a relatively level playing field before the likes of Derby come back next year with loads of money to spend after just one year in the Premiership.

This is why ourselves and other clubs are throwing so much money around - Cardiff are forking out a fortune on Fowler's wages because they know that this is the best chance they will get for many years. The same goes for us and every other side in the division. This division is hard enough to get out of as it is. Over the next 5 years it will become progressively harder, to the point whereby the Premiership will become a closed shop.

I don't expect us to be promoted this year (although I am hopeful of a play-off place), but we have to be - the long term success of the club depends on it.

I don't think people have quite appreciated the importance of this season. Lots of people have said that they would be happy with a top 10 finish. The fact is that that is not good enough. The teams relegated from the Prem at the end of the season will have a ridiculous amount of money to spend on transfers and wages, so much so that they will have enough to virtually guarantee bouncing straight back. This season is it, the last on a relatively level playing field before the likes of Derby come back next year with loads of money to spend after just one year in the Premiership.

This is why ourselves and other clubs are throwing so much money around - Cardiff are forking out a fortune on Fowler's wages because they know that this is the best chance they will get for many years. The same goes for us and every other side in the division. This division is hard enough to get out of as it is. Over the next 5 years it will become progressively harder, to the point whereby the Premiership will become a closed shop.

I don't expect us to be promoted this year (although I am hopeful of a play-off place), but we have to be - the long term success of the club depends on it.

Almost every year at least 1 relegated team has too much money 2 waste.

Wolves spent a bucket load of money for years, where did it get them. :frusty:

It's not about spending money, it's about finding quality players.

MO'N never spent loads of dosh, look where he took us.

Besides, with all of our signings, with more to come, it takes time to get a team to gel together, probably won't see us playing our best football until after xmas.

Maybe then we could possibly make top six, but not if we leave it to late in the season.

We all want to see us get promotion, what we don't want is for us to come straight back down again.

That's why we must build a consistent quality team that are hard to beat.

I don't think people have quite appreciated the importance of this season

Hmm. Quite patronising. ;)

I'm not sure you can make such a general assuption to be honest. After all, as long as the three-up three-down structure stays in place, it's hardly going to be a closed shop, is it?

I realise there's more money to be had, but the amount of money available has been increasing for 15 years now - that's hardly a new thing really. West Brom came down and didn't go back up. Ditto Southampton. Ditto Norwich. Sunderland didn't straight away. Wolves, Leicester, Leeds... 15 years ago, you'd have got long odds on Reading, Bolton, Fulham and Wigan in the Premiership.

I just don't think the future of civilisation as we know it rests on one season.

I know the money has gone up for tv rights for promotion.

Therefore if you get promoted, this is good.

If you get relegated this is bad.

The TV money you no longer have.

All you have is parachute payments.

Same as before.

Except you have a higher rate of expenditure and wage bills which means the parachute payments are not going to cover the debts.

So in turn you'll be far worse off than previously relegated clubs from past seasons.

By being more financially polarized a club will be more likely to fall like a stone into lower divisions.

Haven't we seen this already?

Unless I am missing something huge and please tell me if I am, What an earth are you talking about?

N.

I think the gap is definately getting bigger but I still believe that even if we don't go up next year, then we are not going to be doomed to the championship forever!!!! If MM had not come in then yeh I would be much more worried. I know he isn't the richest Owner around but he can ceratinly bring in some players with that bit of quality needed. I think as long we have a committed and hard working team, with a bit of quality on top, then we will always have a chance against the big spenders!

Cardiff are forking out a fortune on Fowler's wages because they know that this is the best chance they will get for many years.

No it isn't. Last season was and they blew it in spectacular fashion. I disagree with your points entirely.

Guest ttfn
No it isn't. Last season was and they blew it in spectacular fashion. I disagree with your points entirely.

We'll see. But I genuinely think that this is it. The money has been going up gradually for years and now it's shot up this season. This is why Mandaric is throwing so much money at promotion this year - he knows that this is the big one - our best chance is this year. If we're not in the top 10 at Christmas I bet you Allen will get the sack.

I'm not to concerned about the other clubs having all that money. We havent got bucket loads of cash but Milan as pumped in a substantial amount for the playing side. Need I ask who remembers when we got loads of money for Heskey & Taylor blew every single penny of it on complete garbage. Teems like Preston & Cardiff have proved that you don't have to spend big to be successful in this league. :thumbup:

I'm not to concerned about the other clubs having all that money. We havent got bucket loads of cash but Milan as pumped in a substantial amount for the playing side. Need I ask who remembers when we got loads of money for Heskey & Taylor blew every single penny of it on complete garbage. Teams like Preston & Cardiff have proved that you don't have to spend big to be successful in this league. :thumbup:

When did they get promoted?

nobody notices those who came 7th, 8th or 14th. ask anyone the highlight of last seasons championship and it will be birmingham being nigh on brilliant almost all season bar september and sunderland being shit to begin with then winning the thing. everyone forgets cardiff owned it for the first six weeks, fell like a rock and finished 13th i believe. they all forget that pne had an awfull run at the end of the season which helped us stay up but they missed out on play offs.

ok they have been better than us but they were not a success.

There's more to football then just buying the supposed best players.

Yes such as buying ridiculously over-priced players with big egos that either a) aren't actually any good; or b) are just waiting for one last big pay-day and don't care about the club!

Archived