Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

David Unsworth

So he was brought in for only 6 apps between Jan and May 07 and scored a goal.

brief history of clubs, apps and goals: http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=8091

On paper, yeah he might provide cover for a few games.

On the pitch, will his experience make up for his lack of agility against some decent strikers in the championship this season?

Me not sure.

I'd need to see him play.

N.

Sadly I think you might be a year or two too late. :whistle:

Experienced left sided/footed player, most of career in premiership?

Yes please, will be a grest addition IMO, the POTENTIAL of Mattock,Beswick,Hayes can def be developed with Unsworth to guide them.

A no-brainer for me :)

good point :worship: but you know everyone will come out with the oap home comments

That has to be one of the poorest left hand sides in the whole of the league. Mattock has masses of ability and i'm confident he'll make his mark next season. But going in to the season without back-up for him, and competant back-up would be a massive gamble.

I think poor is harsh untested is better, if Unsworth's wages are reasonable then i'd get him in - To me it is an isssue of cost as much as quality.

Experience doesn't give you pace or energy does it ?

He might know where to go but does he have the legs to get there?

The simple answer is no.

He is not what we want or need, we are past signing players like this.

If you're not concerned that we are going in to a season with Mattock, Sheehan, Beswick, Porter & Hayes for the left side then I hope you'll bear this in mind if we struggle.

That has to be one of the poorest left hand sides in the whole of the league. Mattock has masses of ability and i'm confident he'll make his mark next season. But going in to the season without back-up for him, and competant back-up would be a massive gamble.

Sheehan has been off the boil in competitive football for over a year. He was utter guff at Mansfield, ask their fans. It's also been reported he's suffered from groin injuries for lengthy periods, how true this is I don't know. My guess is that it was convenient for him to be injured, so that we didn't have to explain why else we weren't playing him.

Beswick, for fook sake. He's had a brief role as a make shift left back in the odd friendly and now he's going to be good enough to be called upon for the first team. There were rumours he wasn't going to be offered a contract. He's got a lot of work to do, to be first team material. Especially in a team looking to progress towards promotion.

Porter, doesn't seemed to have pushed on since breaking in to the team. From the end of January onwards, he was as poor as any other Leicester player I saw last season other than perhaps Josh Low. I hope he can regain his form, but the past few months of last season and the fact that Allen doesn't seem to rate him, indicates there's question marks over his head. Again, going in to the season without strengthening at both left back and left wing would be dangerous and foolish.

Hayes, not seen him play yet. Seems like he's got potential, but very raw. Another who can't seriously be considered to be first choice for the start of the season.

Doesn't bode well for me at the minute. If only Gradel was naturally a left winger and Sheehan was as good as you make out and i'd be much more happy.

Gradel can't even get in on the right wing - a position that concerns me far more.

Sheehan did have a long term groin injury and various niggling injuries thereafter. About the time of his loan Porter remarked that Sheehan needed time to get over them properly.

He and Mattock seem a reasonable pairing to me but if there's better out there bring em on - but not another slow old timer who can offer little going forward.

Full-back is a position for fast, agile footballers who can support and recover quickly.

Beswick would probably only be third choice in an emergency - but rather someone like him than a right-back playing out of position. Watching Kenton and Maybury there last season was hardly convincing. Nor Chambers this year.

get him in, unsworth prints goals from the spot
How many times have we won penalties in the past two years?

and also hume has 100% record from the spot does he not

We have two slowish center backs as it is.

We don't need another whos probably even slower.

well, to be honest when we had the likes of walshie and Matty Elliot at the defence we were not at all known for our speed... yet i remember someone saying... i think it might of been George graham saying " playing against leicester's defence is like running into a brick wall"

If the quality is there, it can make up for pace. positioning, timing and precision tackling can compansate for lack of pace... more so in this division..

Not saying i would choose slow defenders purposefully but if they have quality i wouldnt be crying if they were not all sprinters..

Gradel can't even get in on the right wing - a position that concerns me far more.

Sheehan did have a long term groin injury and various niggling injuries thereafter. About the time of his loan Porter remarked that Sheehan needed time to get over them properly.

He and Mattock seem a reasonable pairing to me but if there's better out there bring em on - but not another slow old timer who can offer little going forward.

Full-back is a position for fast, agile footballers who can support and recover quickly.

Beswick would probably only be third choice in an emergency - but rather someone like him than a right-back playing out of position. Watching Kenton and Maybury there last season was hardly convincing. Nor Chambers this year.

So you won't allow Fryatts injury problems putting him behind everyone else in terms of fitness but you'll allow it for Sheehan?

well, to be honest when we had the likes of walshie and Matty Elliot at the defence we were not at all known for our speed... yet i remember someone saying... i think it might of been George graham saying " playing against leicester's defence is like running into a brick wall"

If the quality is there, it can make up for pace. positioning, timing and precision tackling can compansate for lack of pace... more so in this division..

Not saying i would choose slow defenders purposefully but if they have quality i wouldnt be crying if they were not all sprinters..

Good point.

The thing is, sometimes we get swept up in the future when we look at our signings and worry about someone like Unsworth next season. As far as I am concerned I dont care if we have to make 20 changes next season if we get promoted!

Someone like DU, who isnt my favourite type of player, I'm sure will cope well against most of the forwards at this level. Most of the better class quicker forwards like Kamara, Chopra, Nugent and Earnshaw are away in the Prem now and although some half decent lively ones remain, Unsworth should be more than capable of bullying teh strikers at this level. He reminds me of a Gerry Taggart style of player who coul dbe a favourite amongst the fans, especially when he starts booting them in the air lol

Archived