Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Chambers Makes The Grade

Leicester City youngster Ashley Chambers will be representing England at the FIFA U17 World Cup in South Korea later this month.

The academy striker has made the final squad of 21 and will be hoping to play in England's group stage games against Brazil, North Korea and New Zealand.

Previous tournaments have featured the likes of Ronaldinho and Cesc Fabregas and the upcoming World Cup is England's first appearance at the finals.

The campaign kicks off against North Korea in Seogwipo on August 18 and coach, John Peacock, is confident that his young charges can make an impression on the world stage: "I like to think that we'll be up there with the top sides and it's going to be a great experience for our lads to play in South Korea against the best up and coming players from around the world.

Article continues

Advertisement

"We're looking forward to the competition but realise that we're in a tough group and we'll need to put in some good performances to reach the latter stages."

England return to Seogwipo on August 21 for the clash with New Zealand before Peacock's side come face to face with Brazil's new crop of talent in Goyang City on August 24.

Brazil finished as runners up to Mexico in the 2005 World Cup Final in Peru with new Manchester United signing, Anderson, winning the World Cup's Golden Ball Award as player of the tournament.

Leicester City youngster Ashley Chambers will be representing England at the FIFA U17 World Cup in South Korea later this month.

The academy striker has made the final squad of 21 and will be hoping to play in England's group stage games against Brazil, North Korea and New Zealand.

Previous tournaments have featured the likes of Ronaldinho and Cesc Fabregas and the upcoming World Cup is England's first appearance at the finals.

The campaign kicks off against North Korea in Seogwipo on August 18 and coach, John Peacock, is confident that his young charges can make an impression on the world stage: "I like to think that we'll be up there with the top sides and it's going to be a great experience for our lads to play in South Korea against the best up and coming players from around the world.

Article continues

Advertisement

"We're looking forward to the competition but realise that we're in a tough group and we'll need to put in some good performances to reach the latter stages."

England return to Seogwipo on August 21 for the clash with New Zealand before Peacock's side come face to face with Brazil's new crop of talent in Goyang City on August 24.

Brazil finished as runners up to Mexico in the 2005 World Cup Final in Peru with new Manchester United signing, Anderson, winning the World Cup's Golden Ball Award as player of the tournament.

Jorrin John didnt get in then :(

I really hope Chambers excells himself in this tournement. From what i've see he's a quality little player and i hope in the next few years he will slowly be introduced to the first team.

MA might have requested that Mattock doesn't go to play in this tournament as he will be in contention for a starting place in our first team? Chambers won't be getting any first team action here so it'll be a more worthwhile experience for him to go and play in a tournament like that.

MA might have requested that Mattock doesn't go to play in this tournament as he will be in contention for a starting place in our first team? Chambers won't be getting any first team action here so it'll be a more worthwhile experience for him to go and play in a tournament like that.

I spoke to joe mattocks dad before the quorn game and he told me they was trying to get him out of the squad so that he would be available for the first game of the season! Also he went off injured against Portsmouth on Saturday, that could have something to do with it. :dunno:

I spoke to joe mattocks dad before the quorn game and he told me they was trying to get him out of the squad so that he would be available for the first game of the season! Also he went off injured against Portsmouth on Saturday, that could have something to do with it. :dunno:

Yeh i carnt see England taking a injured player out to a tournement ...

even tho they did with Rooney :unsure:

I just hope Chambers does what he does on Football Manager after a few years!

But i do realise that James Graham and the short chap with the funny name - which escapes me - were FM hot shots in previous years that ended up doing bugger all - just like Cherno Samba!

Oh ok he's my mate villa offerd him to go and play for them a couple of months ago he stayed at Leicester tho :)

He played in the Nordic tournament not too long ago. If you have a look on the FA website it has details of the games. Luke O'Neill played a couple of games too.

So pleased for Ashley. He had a miserable season past with his long term injury and I wondered if he would recover all his speed and confidence.

He made a few token appearances towards the end of the season but it was the Quorn game which suggested he was back with a vengeance. Two or three of his runs were vintage Chambers and it is up to him now to show the character, the form and the resilience to climb back up the pecking order.

I hope he manages it. He's an exciting player who makes things happen.

My dad speaks to Ashleys mum regually and she said today that joe was going to go too but he had to pull out with his injury.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/ro...8907/index.html

He didn't feture in the first game but got himself on the score sheet in the second game :thumbup: And it was too help sink the kiwis even better :clap:

I watched the game on Eurosport, He took his goal real well, raced clear of the defence and drilled it through the keepers legs to score the last in the 5 - 0 drubbing

England play Brazil on friday morning, be interesting to see if hes in the starting lineup

http://www.thefa.com/England/U17WorldCup/N...andChambers.htm

New Zealand

0-5

England

Welbeck 3 & 27,

Moses 7 & 30, Chambers 87

FIFA U17 World Cup

Group B

9am Tuesday 21 August 2007 (UK time)

Jeju World Cup Stadium, Seogwipo

Ashley Chambers has experienced the peaks and troughs of football but after scoring against New Zealand his star looks to be on the rise.

Two years ago the Leicester City forward made club history when, as a wide eyed 15 year old, he came off the bench to become their youngest ever player.

But having had a taste of the big time, his world was rocked last October by a cruciate knee injury which ruined his chances of going to the U17 European Championships.

But after five months on the sidelines and a race to get fit, Chambers is back and he completed his rehabilitation by netting on Tuesday night against the Kiwis.

"It's nice after the season I have had," said Chambers. "To think back when I was injured I would never have thought I would score in a World Cup. It was frustrating being out but the long long-term goal was always to make this squad."

With England cruising at 4-0, Chambers was set free in the 87th minute by Tom Taiwo's precise pass.

"I remember running through and thinking I'm going to touch it straight to the keeper," he added.

"But I touched it right although it didn't sit down. I thought I've just got to hit it and it went in thankfully. It was a relief as I did not play as well as I know I can. I was in and out of the game and was not a constant threat. It was a weight off my shoulders when it went in."

Chambers and the rest of the England team left Jeju on Wednesday morning and flew to Seoul, the venue of their final group game with Brazil on Friday.

The Samba Boys have been in sublime form, hammering seven past New Zealand and six past Korea DPR, a side who looked more than capable against England just three days later.

"I have not seen much of Brazil," admitted Chambers. "I have just seen the scores - they must be decent. When I think of Brazil I think of quality players, skill in every position, a lot of movement, passing, opportunities - the complete team at this age.

"It should be an interesting game. Everyone is excited but anxious at the same time. It's a once in a lifetime thing for some of the players. We created lots of chances against New Zealand but we will have to put them away against Brazil."

While no-one can ever take away his World Cup goal, Chambers' record at Leicester City is something that might not be his forever.

"It seems a long time ago now," he said, before recalling the moment he wrote himself into Leicester history in September 2005 against Blackpool in the League Cup.

"I remember being at school. I went to my nana's for lunch. She said I had to ring my mum. I rang her at work and she said 'you are in the squad for tonight and are on the bench'. I was just shocked. I could not believe it.

"I finished the day at school and went to the match. I was a little bit star-struck. At that age we were still doing ball boy work. My best friend at the club was a ball boy for the game while I was sitting on the bench.

"I could not believe it when I came on. It was frightening. It was surreal going back to school the next day. I could have bunked it off."

While no-one can ever take away his World Cup goal, Chambers' record at Leicester City is something that might not be his forever.

"It seems a long time ago now," he said, before recalling the moment he wrote himself into Leicester history in September 2005 against Blackpool in the League Cup.

"I remember being at school. I went to my nana's for lunch. She said I had to ring my mum. I rang her at work and she said 'you are in the squad for tonight and are on the bench'. I was just shocked. I could not believe it.

"I finished the day at school and went to the match. I was a little bit star-struck. At that age we were still doing ball boy work. My best friend at the club was a ball boy for the game while I was sitting on the bench.

"I could not believe it when I came on. It was frightening. It was surreal going back to school the next day. I could have bunked it off."

Good luck Chambo :) :thumbsup:

Archived