Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willy37

favourite band

if you had to single out just 1 band that has had the biggest influence on your life. both musically and personally.

to me personally id say anti flag.

easy - brian wilson/beach boys :worship:

For years, my favorite band was the Ramones... until about a year and a half ago.

Now, The Fall is miles ahead of everyone else at the top of my league table (although they might not be considered a proper "band," having had almost 60 lineup changes in its history).

Yeah pretty much the same.

Although there's always numeros uno place for the Arctics :D

Good point, forgot those rascals, they need to bring another album out asap!!

Surley you'd add We are scientists too.

p.s lets not try to whore this thread like me, yo and dave do most of the music threads!

p.s lets not try to whore this thread like me, yo and dave do most of the music threads!

Whore? Thread? Me? To?

Of course W.A.S come in a joint second with the Wombats. So many good bands :cool:

I find it hard to single out one band to be fair and find it an almost impossible task.

Rancid are certainly one Tim Armstrong and co opened my eyes to different genres and bands especially more the Ska side of things.

The first moment I heard the base line from Fugazis waiting room was another that sent my down a different path of discovery into Hardcore.

and of course you can't miss out The Clash because imo they started it all!! and are probably one of the bands that influenced anyone that matters!! Joe Strummer was a true legend :appl:

Obviously it depends on what the criteria is. You've mentioned shaping your taste in music etc, which leads me to think Nirvana. I never listen to them these days and haven't for years but I absolutely loved them when I was 10 years old. It seems funny to think of myself being that age and liking a band like Nirvana but I certainly did because I remember being devastated when I heard about Kurt's death.

Another one I'd mention would be Underworld simply because although I like all sorts of music I was naturally more inclined towards guitar music until I bought Beaucoup Fish when I was 15/16. That made me appreciate electronic music immensely and I fell in love with everything they'd done before once I heard it too. Probably part of the reason why Hot Chip are now my favourite band - which I guess rounds my answer off nicely.

Pink Floyd - for opening my eyes to music from before I was born. For sounding as good today as they did back then. And for writing Wish You Were Here.

The Prodigy - for shaping genres, for their influence on my taste in music, for raw energy. And for my avatar.

Portishead - for writing my personal greatest album of all time, Dummy. And for carving out a sound that no one has really ever come close to since.

Radiohead - for being able to truly develop their music. For being absolutely head and shoulders above the current crop of UK bands. And for OK Computer.

Hot Chip - for producing the freshest, most interesting sound I've heard for ages. For making me laugh. And for my signature.

Pink Floyd - for opening my eyes to music from before I was born. For sounding as good today as they did back then. And for writing Wish You Were Here.

The Prodigy - for shaping genres, for their influence on my taste in music, for raw energy. And for my avatar.

Portishead - for writing my personal greatest album of all time, Dummy. And for carving out a sound that no one has really ever come close to since.

Radiohead - for being able to truly develop their music. For being absolutely head and shoulders above the current crop of UK bands. And for OK Computer.

Hot Chip - for producing the freshest, most interesting sound I've heard for ages. For making me laugh. And for my signature.

Is this an age thing? I find it hard to believe that you guys can't single out a single band that totally dominates your life...

i mean i LOVE loads of bands, but none of them come close to how crazy i am about brian wilson's music.

i don't get it, i thought maybe you just couldn't decide, but as i say, for me, and most people my age, it seems like there is always an obvious stand out band.

peculiar, is this true for everyone, young or old?

In a similar vein to Fez, The Clash and The Sex Pistols shaped my musical tastes from an early age along with Bruce Sprinsteen's Born In The USA, i very rarely if ever listen to them any more but when i was a young impressionable fellow they moulded my musical inclinations. The band from my youth that i still listen to as much now as i did with my parents back in the day is The Smiths who've had a major influence over me for sure.

Nowadays im in love with the musical ethos or The Cribs, the live performance of LMT and Larrikin Love but the band id say had the most influence on me overall and the band that had opened my eyes to a world of music that i now drink up like a buffalo at the watering hole is ... Less Than Jake as they introduced me to a wide world of independent nwe music and were the first band i saw live as headliners and i've not stopped gigging since.

Is this an age thing? I find it hard to believe that you guys can't single out a single band that totally dominates your life...

i mean i LOVE loads of bands, but none of them come close to how crazy i am about brian wilson's music.

i don't get it, i thought maybe you just couldn't decide, but as i say, for me, and most people my age, it seems like there is always an obvious stand out band.

peculiar, is this true for everyone, young or old?

It may well be an age thing for me, as I've only really been truely into indie / rock the last 2/3 years and before that went through a bit of an RnB period and dance also.

If I had to pick one it would be the cribs, but its like after seeing the Wombats recently I'm going to adore them and then listen to another album like the Arctic Monkeys and remember how much I love them too, similar with bands like pigeon detectives, klaxons and Good shoes etc.

Like I say the band I've loved most this year has been the cribs, maybe they will remain my favourite, maybe they won't could even depend on when different albums come out.

Archived