Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Time to ship Beaglehole out

But as effective a right winger as Gradel? I seriously doubt it.

Kaebi has all the speed and skill to skip past players. But I've seen nothing to suggest he's a finisher or a man with a telling final pass. To me he's good, a real asset. Quality even. But he's a full-back or one ot those right-sided midfielders they like to pretend are wingers these days.

It's early days and there is time for him to prove me wrong. But he won't, although there's time for him to improve

Trying to suggest that a player is an out and out winger or a right sided midfielder is immaterial. You are of course right that the modern day position comes with more duties like defending but that doesn't necessarily make them any more ineffective if they have the ability.

However, we are discussing who would be the most effective playing to play right-midfield for us from the limited information we have. All I know is that Gradel was fantastic as academy level in a successful side and scored a goal a game was it? That tells us he has ability. The fact that he has been loaned out and at this stage has not excelled as yet (from reading the Match Console highlights page), I`d suggest that maybe he isn't the best option TODAY. Kaebi, another who I haven't seen much of apart from You tube and other clips looks like a player who can dribble, assist and defend and has 50 International caps. From reading bits on the Persian footy forum he is highly regarded and 50 caps by 21/22 suggest that he has ability. All I am saying is that he is the best option for now but I hope Gradel improves sufficiently enough to be the rare player at this level, a free scoring wide player that even the English national side cant produce.

It doesn't mean the same thing at all. Of course it is nice if, unlike Newton, our wingers can defend. George Best was brilliant at defending. Giggs and Ronaldo do their bit too.

But I don't want them defending to the detriment of their attacking energy. So many right/left midfielders are a cop-out - a defensive double cover really. Trouble is they are an excuse for the position because there are too few who around who can do play the right wing role properly.

Being a right winger means being able to run at people to commit them and disarrange the organisised defence. Great wingers then have the ability to pick out passes, high and low and to shoot thereby either getting goals or poviding rebound opportunities for th predators.

Sylla, Low, Hughes, Maybury, Newton, Porter, Tiatto never did any of that on the flanks. None of them can go past people, onl;y Porte and Newton have any idea how to pass and only Porter has any shooting technique never mind the instinct and confidence to actually take the responsiblity.

Well Gradel does. He has speed, he dribbles, he passes and he shoots. It's all he lives for as a footballer. He makes more mistakes than many cos he tries things. Anyone can do a Hughes and keep giving the responsibility to someone 10 yards away.

Kaebi gets part way. He has the pace, balance, ball control. But not, from what I've seen, the ruthless end product of a shot or pass that makes its mark. So far he's looked a pretty footballer rather than a killer.

To say you'd play Kaebi instead of Gradel is to say you're happy to be a potential scorer light - as so many seem to be. But not me. I'd choose between Kaebi and Chambers at right back. I wouldn't pick both. And I certainly wouldn't move Chambers to left backif he wasn't first choice right back. Football teams don't balance like that.

But don't worry. That's not how it'll turn out.

And the Beagle he will just trot back into the shadows, doubless to offer his help when needed, again.

Kaebi scored three in 6 games at his last club.... :whistle:

Trying to suggest that a player is an out and out winger or a right sided midfielder is immaterial. You are of course right that the modern day position comes with more duties like defending but that doesn't necessarily make them any more ineffective if they have the ability.

However, we are discussing who would be the most effective playing to play right-midfield for us from the limited information we have. All I know is that Gradel was fantastic as academy level in a successful side and scored a goal a game was it? That tells us he has ability. The fact that he has been loaned out and at this stage has not excelled as yet (from reading the Match Console highlights page), I`d suggest that maybe he isn't the best option TODAY. Kaebi, another who I haven't seen much of apart from You tube and other clips looks like a player who can dribble, assist and defend and has 50 International caps. From reading bits on the Persian footy forum he is highly regarded and 50 caps by 21/22 suggest that he has ability. All I am saying is that he is the best option for now but I hope Gradel improves sufficiently enough to be the rare player at this level, a free scoring wide player that even the English national side cant produce.

Is Iranian football better than our Academy/Reserves Leagues? I don't know.

But from what I've read about Gradel on loan, Bournemouth are really pleased with his contribution.

Whether he's excelled I don't know but then I wouldn't say Kaebi excelled for the Reserves either. He played well eough, no question, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

Look at the potential good players we have Weso, Mattock, Ash Chambers, Ronkee, Sheehan, Gradel, Mckay, Beswick, Odihambo I hope they all get a chance to try and fullfil there potential and I would like Beagle there helping them but not as manager.

Is Iranian football better than our Academy/Reserves Leagues? I don't know.

But from what I've read about Gradel on loan, Bournemouth are really pleased with his contribution.

Whether he's excelled I don't know but then I wouldn't say Kaebi excelled for the Reserves either. He played well eough, no question, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

According to the FIFA Rankings, Iran are ranked 44 which is above nations like Australia, Switzerland, Belgium, Wales and some good South American teams. During the recent Asia Cup about half the squad was from sides based in Iran. Obviously its not the best domestic league in the world but to ask whether the standard is better than our reserves or academy leagues is a little disrespectful to a country who are ranked so highly in FIFAs ratings.

As for Gradel, I am "keeping an eye" on his progress like I am all players that we have loaned out and I am doing so with the help of the detailed text highlights on each game he plays. He had what seemed like a quiet game in the league but followed that by being heavily involved in the Johnstones Cup match yesterday. Loads of crosses and shots amongst his personal highlights which was both impressive and encouraging but once again, before we learn to run lets let him walk as its a low standard of football and he needs to shine consistently to warrant a first team place in a club that has aspirations of premiership football next season. The early signs are very good and lets hope he continues to do just that, improve.

Apexgeo - you're talking a lot of sense recently.

A bloody lot of sense.

I'm not entirely comfortable with it.

Now, I have £2 I'm going to gamble to spice up my life. Suggest an appropriate horse to back.

Stick a £1 on both of the worst horses in the next Virtual Race in your local bookies. It's surprising how many of the outsiders win in those races. I've started to make a fair few quid on them, by just betting a quid or two on the two or three outsiders in the race. Worth a slap.

Stick a £1 on both of the worst horses in the next Virtual Race in your local bookies. It's surprising how many of the outsiders win in those races. I've started to make a fair few quid on them, by just betting a quid or two on the two or three outsiders in the race. Worth a slap.

I really want to do this from the relative comfort of my own desk whilst drinking tea and trying to look important.

Afterall, I have to pay for this FT trip to Albania sometimes.

ps Flair - are you coming? Only I haven't had your permission slip and £4.65 back in yet?

Apexgeo - you're talking a lot of sense recently.

A bloody lot of sense.

I'm not entirely comfortable with it.

Now, I have £2 I'm going to gamble to spice up my life. Suggest an appropriate horse to back.

lol lol lol

I have had a small bet today on a horse that a mate told me about. Apparently it will win despite never actually had a race before lol. To the Dance, 210 Lingfield at 2/1. :thumbup:

Ive already spent my profits. If it loses, i`ll give you the mobile number of my mate so you can call him from work and give him some abuse.

Good man.

I've found £1.40 in a skybet account I have, so I've now got £3.40 riding on this beauty.

Potential return of £9.35

That's BIG money.

Good man.

I've found £1.40 in a skybet account I have, so I've now got £3.40 riding on this beauty.

Potential return of £9.35

That's BIG money.

Maybe stop the spending as its drifting out to 3/1 as everyone at the course thinks its shite. Time to get my coat.

Archived