Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

OI DAGGERS (topic formerly known as 'lookydo')

:o Oh Shit...no wonder the scren is blank!

Cheers Finnegan! :D:thumbup:

No seriously, some docs are okay some just wont open.(excel doc)

I've been on loads of them other computer type forums and it seems a frequent type of error.

Just thought you guys may have any ideas! :dunno:

My idea is: Stop using Microsoft and Windows.

Use Open Office and Linux.

It will open your documents, help you lose weight and find the killer of Madelleine McCann...because they're sexy. :cool:

Never understood all this anti-windows geekery.

I never liked IE that much and freely admit it was buggy, prone to spyware and viruses and needed to go. So I was all too happy to try Firefox and I love it. But I've never, ever really had any fatal problems with windows that weren't my fault.

:dunno:

My idea is: Stop using Microsoft and Windows.

Use Open Office and Linux.

It will open your documents, help you lose weight and find the killer of Madelleine McCann...because they're sexy. :cool:

:o Stop using Microsoft and Windows :o

You mean to say..there ARE alternatives???? :o:unsure:

Never understood all this anti-windows geekery.

I never liked IE that much and freely admit it was buggy, prone to spyware and viruses and needed to go. So I was all too happy to try Firefox and I love it. But I've never, ever really had any fatal problems with windows that weren't my fault. :dunno:

Let's start here - you pay for it.

Not only that, but you pay for it when there are alternatives for free that are (in the main) as good as.

Office95, Office2000, OfficeXP and the latest incarnation...each one is rolled out extolling the new version's virtues, demanding the we (and companies across the land) buy the latest version.

Open Office is free.

Dell will now sell you a computer without Windows installed. Instead you can get one with the Ubuntu Linux operating system. The two hundred-odd sobs that will save you more than covers paying Dell for aftersales support - so why buy Windows?

Virtually every virus, worm and trojan written targets Windows operating systems, not Linux.

Updates to any bug discovered on a Linux machine is rolled out as soon as it is written...not saved up for 6-12 months to be rolled out as a major update like with Windows.

I could go on...but it's mainly because Linux looks SO DAMN COOL!

snap.png

Raj - as a quick workaround, try opening them in Open Office. Download it, install it (straightforward stuff) and if it doesn't work or you hate it then you can bin it. I'll wager it will read them although you will have to store them as OO documents from then on.

180x60_4_suite.png

That's what I say about my unpredictable temperament.

Ya big fooking horseshites. :blink:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x90/lemond_pix/snap.png

I'd be lying if I said that didn't look a damn sight more interesting than my XP Pro desktop.

I'm a little excited. :blush:

:ph34r:

Not only that, but you pay for it when there are alternatives for free that are (in the main) as good as.

Office95, Office2000, OfficeXP and the latest incarnation...each one is rolled out extolling the new version's virtues, demanding the we (and companies across the land) buy the latest version.

Open Office is free.

Dell will now sell you a computer without Windows installed. Instead you can get one with the Ubuntu Linux operating system. The two hundred-odd sobs that will save you more than covers paying Dell for aftersales support - so why buy Windows?

Virtually every virus, worm and trojan written targets Windows operating systems, not Linux.

Updates to any bug discovered on a Linux machine is rolled out as soon as it is written...not saved up for 6-12 months to be rolled out as a major update like with Windows.

snap.png

Raj - as a quick workaround, try opening them in Open Office. Download it, install it (straightforward stuff) and if it doesn't work or you hate it then you can bin it. I'll wager it will read them although you will have to store them as OO documents from then on.

180x60_4_suite.png

I can get Microsoft Office 2007 perfectly legally for £28, that's a lot less confusing than your crazy geek talk!

Open Office is free.

snap.png

180x60_4_suite.png

I used Open Office for a while. You can save them as an Office save(.doc).

I used Open Office for a while. You can save them as an Office save(.doc).

Thanks for your help Geeks.

I will download that OpenOffice,(or actually get the Mrs to do it!) :D

And ITS FREE???????!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously,Cheers! :thumbup:

If sex is causing your windows to wobble and shimmer, I'd call your friendly local glazier. :blink:

It's good sex.

Wait, wait, wait... you PAY for sex!?

Take it where you get it.

Raj, PM me if it doesn't work. ;)

I gave in.

XP Pro finally fooked me off completely yesterday when it blue-screened me three times in the same day. Once a week was the norm until yesterday where the situation apparently got much worse. So I grabbed my Vista Business DVD and got to work.

So... here I am, powered by Vista. :|

No issues so far... although my scroll lines on my mouse pad are as yet non-functioning... I need the proper driver for it, rather than the generic Vista mouse pad driver. My media player buttons also seem to work (Volume being the key one).

So far so good... now I just need to move all my files back onto the drive and install me programs. That'll be where the trouble starts, no doubt... programs. lol

I gave in.

XP Pro finally fooked me off completely yesterday when it blue-screened me three times in the same day. Once a week was the norm until yesterday where the situation apparently got much worse. So I grabbed my Vista Business DVD and got to work.

No issues so far... although my scroll lines on my mouse pad are as yet non-functioning... I need the proper driver for it, rather than the generic Vista mouse pad driver. My media player buttons also seem to work (Volume being the key one).

So far so good... now I just need to move all my files back onto the drive and install me programs. That'll be where the trouble starts, no doubt... programs. lol

:|:dunno::(

I gave in.

:teehee: Yay, you know it makes sense! :thumbup:

Waits to be proved wrong in spectacular style, undoubtedly accompanied by equally spectacular language! :eek:

Daggers, you have won me over.

But I'm unsure about how to go about getting it without blowing up my computer, with all the drive compatibilities etc...

Any advice is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Oi, Daggers!

What happened to Sayonara linux (or whatever it was called)?

I see you've reverted to plastering yourself (read: avatar, signature) in Ubuntu again. :unsure:

This is what he told me :thumbup:

The effects of Sabayon can be replicated in Ubuntu. - installing packages in Ubuntu is a million times easier than in Sabayon (so I am finding out)...there's a nice graphical interface you can use whereas I have to do everything by code and/or unix command line interface.

I use linux mainly for my server (and internet gateway). :thumbup:

Clients are mainly Windows or dual boot (Windows/Linux).

It all works great.

Well ...except that day last June when I went to grab a cup of tea from the kitchen,

only to come back to a burning smell and a powered off PC! :(

(It was the motherboard, so a simple motherboard replacement, and one week later, the PC was working again...)

:whistle:

linux is great for servers

as a workstation, they are far too complex for the aveage user, the fonts look absoulutely, the desktop are the ugliest by far (vista and osx look 100x nicer) and all the people that think their L337 linux install with 100 virtual desktops look nice generally have no concept of design or style.

the range of software is useless for a normal person that doesn't want to use emacs for everything - open office is horrible to use compared to office 2007, (ever tried doing a simple mail merge, its a nightmare of tedium), and there are simply no viable alternatives to things like illustrator, fireworks, photoshop, flash, indesign, quark etc.

my 2p ;)

linux is great for servers

as a workstation, they are far too complex for the aveage user, the fonts look absoulutely, the desktop are the ugliest by far (vista and osx look 100x nicer) and all the people that think their L337 linux install with 100 virtual desktops look nice generally have no concept of design or style.

the range of software is useless for a normal person that doesn't want to use emacs for everything - open office is horrible to use compared to office 2007, (ever tried doing a simple mail merge, its a nightmare of tedium), and there are simply no viable alternatives to things like illustrator, fireworks, photoshop, flash, indesign, quark etc.

my 2p ;)

True. However, programmers are supposed to be anything but "normal people" and the real geeks should only like command-line interfaces. Even using the mouse at all is a sign of weakness.

Stuff all this GUI stuff. :giggle:lol

(not really)

Archived