Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
xxinxsxx

how do i

how do i change the thing under my advercator????it say ian marshall i wnt 2 change it??

You can't. It will change automatically as your post count goes up. When you've reached a 1000 posts you can put what you like there.

Dave where do I change mine?

Click on 'My Controls' at the top right hand of the forum. On the left you will see a number of options listed the 3rd one down is 'Personal Profile' click on 'Edit Profile Information' and you'll see Custom member title.

Click on 'My Controls' at the top right hand of the forum. On the left you will see a number of options listed the 3rd one down is 'Personal Profile' click on 'Edit Profile Information' and you'll see Custom member title.

Thanks Dave. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Jane Eyre 1-5

From the beginning of the novel, we are given our first glimpse of Jane to be “mounted in the window seat”, hidden out of view from the others. From this we notice that her character is most probably shy, quiet and is not one to draw attention to her. We see that Jane is reading “Bewicks History of British Birds”, already the reader may be able to sum up links relating birds flocking their nest, and Jane longing to be free and leave Thornfield.

In the first chapter, John tells Jane how she has “no money, your father left you with none”. This is the first sign of social class in the novel, this being the main void between Jane and the rest at Thornfield.

However, whilst reading on, we notice that Jane is not to be put down, and shows strength in her defence, “Wicked and cruel boy, you are like a murderer, a slave driver, you are like the roman emperors”. Once again, we see Jane’s vast knowledge due to the books she has read whilst being neglected as she has grown up. Already, all the elements are in place for a classic "Bildungsroman".

The red-room has deathlike links, red of course being the colour of blood, and the room containing a miniature version of the deceased Mr. Reed. Add to that Jane's belief that she sees a ghost in it now gives us a gothic approach added to the novel. The chapter also introduces the Gothic style into the novel, with the ghost Jane thinks she sees and the revelation that Mr. Reed's body lays beneath the church. The Gothic novel, popularised in the 18th-century, utilises supernatural, suspenseful, and mysterious settings and events to create an atmosphere of horror and morbidity. The Gothic novel is also characterised by damsels in distress with the women frequently portrayed as protagonists. Though Jane faints here, common for Gothic women, she proves herself strong-willed and determined to fight back against her oppressors, Mrs.Reed in particular.

We get the sense that no matter what Jane does at Thornfield; she is made out to be a deceiver and a child of sin. “She has screamed out on purpose” and “She only wanted to bring us here” show that nobody at her so called “home” believes in her. Nor do they show any evidence of faith in whether she is telling the truth, it is as if the reader isn’t to see Jane’s true identity yet, because of her carers all treating her with the same neglective attitude, one that portrays Jane with a disobedient manner.

The conflicts of social class, which were suggested in Chapter I by John's taunting of Jane, intensify in chapter 3. Jane has the peculiar situation of being poor within a rich family. Again we see in this chapter, how people within the novel tend to disbelieve Jane, as we see how Mr.Lloyd regards to Jane’s apparent sighting of Mr.Reed’s as “Nonsense!”. He does not believe her, and whenever she brings up the abuses she suffers at Gateshead, he observes that she is lucky to live in such a beautiful house, “Don’t you think Gateshead Hall a very beautiful house?”

Soon enough, Jane is cast away to Lowood, immediately we observe that Lowood's religious education does not necessarily represent the orphans are treated well. Their food is basically inedible, their lodgings are cramped, and the majority of the teachers appear to be unkind. Bronte drops a few hints about the suspicious goings-on when Helen reveals that "benevolent-minded ladies and gentlemen" make up the tuition and that Mr.Brocklehurst is the treasurer of the house.

...and people said all-day drinking and smoking during pregnancy would never have any long-lasting effect on society... :whistle:

Unlike you to reach such Withering Heights, Daggers. :mellow::P

Next thing we know, bloody Daphne du Maurier will get all jealous and put in another appearance. :nono:

I'm holding out for some Dickens.

I like a bit of Dickens.

And chips, I like chips too.

How could I not respond to a plea for some Dickens? I failed on the chips front, though, but will steak do instead...? :unsure:

" . . . Waiter! raw beef-steak for the gentleman's eye,--nothing like raw beef-steak for a bruise, sir; cold lamp-post very good, but lamp-post inconvenient--damned odd standing in the open street half-an-hour, with your eye against a lamp . . ."

• 3 months later...
How do I get a quote into my signature?

Easiest way is to find the quote you want, click reply, highlight the quote you want (including the beginning and end quote tags, so you get the persons name, time of posting info, etc), right click to copy. Then go to 'My controls' > 'edit signature'. Position your cursor in the box then right click to paste the quote in. Click 'update my sig'.

Tis fairly straightforward. Any probs, shout. :thumbup:

Easiest way is to find the quote you want, click reply, highlight the quote you want (including the beginning and end quote tags, so you get the persons name, time of posting info, etc), right click to copy. Then go to 'My controls' > 'edit signature'. Position your cursor in the box then right click to paste the quote in. Click 'update my sig'.

Tis fairly straightforward. Any probs, shout. :thumbup:

Top Stuff, Cheers :thumbup:

Archived