Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

#3 The Daggers.

Out of respect for Daggers' odd numbering system I'll follow suit, which'll mean this won't make much sense until you've listened to the compilation yourselves.

Lmao. What the hell? I wasn't expecting a star of music hall to kick start this, to be honest. Reminds me of learning to play Leaning On A Lamp on the piano in year eight. Makes for a good transition, though, I like it when you've got a bit of plickety plonk that erupts into guitars. Also, this would really have been disturbingly at home in BioShock. Ah hah hah! Weeeeelcome to the ciiiiiircus of vAAAAAAAluuuuues!

Oi generally unsettles me, but this is pretty decent. I imagine most of my prejudice to Oi! comes from the likes of Skrewdriver which is likely quite unfair. Either way this was a decent song, actually, it'll get listened to again for sure.

Not really my cup of tea. A little too airy-fairy for my tastes. Immensely relaxing, though, so possibly one I'd come back to. But you're a tease. Quiet, loud, quiet, loud, quiet, loud quiet, loud then...!

A modern classic of the genre, this song pretty much embodies obnoxious teenage rebelliousness. Suffice to say, I heard it a lot in year ten. Haha.

... :huh::doh:

If 5 was latex ears, Lord of the Rings replica jewelry, Carrie Fisher posters, LARP and action figures that never make it out of the box then this was 60s Mustangs, aviator shades, unnecessarily big hair, partying at Heff's, lines of whizz and threesomes with twins. Finners' inner Wah pedal approves.

Oh Christy! :wub: I'm a really big fan of his voice but I have to say, this particular piece would be just as strong as an instrumental. Fantastically relaxing piece of music from a bit of a leg end.

I somewhat predicted the calm, relaxing tone wouldn't last. Seemed to lack something though, I'm not sure. I'd listen to it again but it surprised me somewhat, when it started I imagined I'd really dig it but.. mh. I don't know.

You what?

I have a bit of a confession to make. I'm not sure if we'll be able to be friends after this, but... I actually... reallydon'tliketheClashverymuch, tbh. This wasn't really much of an exception. I appreciate they're a huge band, I appreciate they were massively influential, I appreciate Strummer was a legend and was adored by a large amount of the punk community but I've just never really been able to sit and listen to their music extensively, to be honest.

This man however I do enjoy. Another one that I think is hugely, musically, over-hyped by my generation purely because he's an influential artist and it's "cool" to say you're a fan. Likewise the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Who and fuck knows who else. But I hadn't heard this song before and I really enjoyed it, generally I'm yet to hear a song of his I don't like.

:D :D

Oh. My. Days. This is proooooooobably my favourite song of theirs. I finally got to see them live a couple of years ago and it was absolute comedy gold. He spent the entire set shouting at the sound-man to turn it up. "Dave, for ****s sakes, they can't hear it. Turn it UP." By the end of the set it was probably the loudest gig I'd ever been in, I was almost deaf afterwards, but he never stopped. "Dave, turn it up already!" A massively underrated bassist, too, he must have massive hands. He plays it like a sodding six string.

Reminded me of a TSOL song I love, at the start. One of the better songs on this mix so far, proper enjoyed it.

Probably, given the 'message', I shouldn't have chuckled as much as I did listening to this. That said it's an immense piece of poetry. I wouldn't really listen to it as a piece of music, but lyrically it was very well written.

I want Poly Styrene's babies. I have done ever since I heard Oh Bondage, Up Yours. I'd take Kathleen Hanna, these days, as a poppy alternative mind.

Even better than 14, I've a few of their songs on a big three or four CD compilation box I bought in a big CD binge at Camden market when I got my first student loan installment. About as unpretentious as music can get, really, proper raucous. Loving it.

Interesting, different, but not really my bag, to be honest.

Dave. No. Why? :D Aaaaaaaah whatever. I can pretend all I want, nu-metal is disgustingly catchy pop music and we can all sing along. I sat and watched their set at Download last year from the hill, eating the most amazing sandwich you have EVER seen. At least you didn't put Last Resort on. Wasn't Scars on this album? That song's a guilty pleasure of mine, actually.

Lars Ulrich is quite possibly the biggest **** in music.

The only song I've skipped through bits so far, didn't really enjoy it all that much to be honest. It wasn't awful by any stretch it just wasn't to my tastes at all.

There's consistently been some great music on this and here's no exception. As with a few of these songs I don't really have much to say other than they are, of course, really solid songs that'll find their way into my library.

The outro to go with the intro?

Overall really enjoyable. An hour or so of my life I won't be asking for back, a couple of bits and bobs that weren't really "me" but consistently quality music no matter what the genre.

:blink:

I've just tried it on three computers and three different operating systems - and they all work bucko!

daggers_mix.jpg

well this is a pretty easy one to review will list the negative first

Zappa - Just never been able to get into him at all

Papa Roach - Hate them with a passion but not as much as..

Metallica - just don't like them at all

Tim Buckley see Zappa

everything else is brilliant mainly because I am already aware of most of them especially Cash just love all of the American recordings album they are just so good it's untrue

Morphine thought I was the only one to have purchased some of their albums as no one I know seems to have heard of them!! :)

any album with the Kennedys, Cash, NMA, The Clash, Pennywise and Gomez can't go far wrong to be honest

George Formby - Chinese Laundry Blues

Brilliant. I like this sort of thing from time to time (I view Chas n Dave as the natural heirs to George lol) and this is great.

The 4 Skins - One Law For Him

Not really my sort of thing. Didn't like it.

Gomez - Rhythm and Blues Alibi

I forgot this was on...

Pennywise - F**k Authority

...and was awakened by this. Good fun. Maybe a bit long though? I think punk stuff should be in and out in a bit quicker than 3 minutes.

Leonard Nimoy & William Shatner - Highly Illogical

Kinell.

Frank Zappa - Willie The Pimp

Not sure I can cope with over 9 minutes of this. I like it but not that much. lol

Christy Moore - Ride On

Again not my thing.

Anti Pasti - No Government

I like it. The singer reminds me a little bit of Joe Strummer and it's a good brainless riff.

Drum played by a child

Great.

The Clash - Police On My Back

Not my favourite Clash song but still a Clash song.

Johnny Cash & Tom Petty - Solitary Man

Fantastic. Not just saying that because it's Johnny Cash, as Finners alludes to, sometimes happens among our generation. This really is great.

Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks fook Off

Super. I was brought up on these among about a million other things.

Motorhead - Bomber

Really liked this too!

The Exploited - Alternative

And this. Sounds like very early Hives records (always pisses my Dad off when I say things like that - "Well they must have listened to this then!" Yes, yes)

Tom Robinson - Glad To Be Gay '94

He pisses me off. And the guitar sounds like Goldfinger. :laugh:

X-Ray Spex - Art-i-ficial

Brilliant. Finners better have enjoyed this. Going to double check his review now. Of course. Knew it. Sounds like that shouty female Japanese stuff he likes.

Angelic Upstarts - I'm An Upstart

I like this too.

Tim Buckley - Song To The Siren

Not a fan for some reason.

Papa Roach - Getting Away With Murder

Eh?? lol

Metallica - Commando

Ein, Zwei, Drei, Vier got me excited but Metallica are no Rammstein.

Morphine - Cure For Pain

Really enjoyed this, never heard of them before. Reminded me a bit of a band called Lincoln that I like that nobody much has heard of.

New Model Army - Vengeance

That is one great build at the start. These are one of those bands which are just a name to me - a reference point for bands I've liked for the past 15 years or so. Enjoyed it. Love the bend on those bass notes, fantastic. Chorus reminded me of Roxy Music!

Leadbelly - Pick a Bale of Cotton

Sounds like it belongs on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack (might even be on it, no idea) which is a good thing. I might listen to Man Of Constant Sorrow now which sums me up after the day I've had at work.

Really enjoyed that Dags. Loads of stuff I've never heard before.

New Model Army - Vengeance

That is one great build at the start. These are one of those bands which are just a name to me - a reference point for bands I've liked for the past 15 years or so. Enjoyed it. Love the bend on those bass notes, fantastic. Chorus reminded me of Roxy Music!

"I believe in justice, I believe in vengeance - I believe in getting the bastard, getting the bastard, getting the bastard now!"

Brian Ferry?

Are you on drugs Fez? Big strong drugs? How in blue blazes does Slade the Leveller sound like Brian ****ing Ferry?

We love NMA. The wife mainly likes bollocks they play on Radio 2 but she likes NMA a lot. We went to see them at the Melkweg, that was a corking weekend. Football and music in Holland is just so much more fun. See, while Andy goes to Germany and gets to games on time because the trains are punctual we went to Holland and were off our tits on a level that even the Head Honcho would be impressed with.

Roxy ****ing Music.

Jesus.

"I believe in justice, I believe in vengeance - I believe in getting the bastard, getting the bastard, getting the bastard now!"

Brian Ferry?

Are you on drugs Fez? Big strong drugs? How in blue blazes does Slade the Leveller sound like Brian ****ing Ferry?

We love NMA. The wife mainly likes bollocks they play on Radio 2 but she likes NMA a lot. We went to see them at the Melkweg, that was a corking weekend. Football and music in Holland is just so much more fun. See, while Andy goes to Germany and gets to games on time because the trains are punctual we went to Holland and were off our tits on a level that even the Head Honcho would be impressed with.

Roxy ****ing Music.

Jesus.

Are they like a toned down version of NWA????

It amuses me to suggest that LFF will probably think track #10 is a cover of a Lethal Bizzle song. :giggle::ph34r:

Will try again now.

PS Is Catch Me If You Can worth watching or not?

I watched Ashes To Ashes last week and am now fully aware that Bizzle sampled it. That and i grew up force fed The Clash from a young age. Im not as new music centred as i seem you know.

Track 1

Ahaha, excellent. Light-hearted way to start. I’m not too keen about the old dodgy sound quality though, but that comes with those songs obviously. 6/10

Track 2

I expected this kind of wake-up call! Alas not quite my cup of tea, especially the vocals. 3/10

Gomez – Bring it on

Decent ballad. No more, no less. 5/10

Track 4

Although I want to hear some high-octane music right now, this doesn’t quite live up to what I long for. I have a hard time enjoying this type of music. “fook authority” reminds me of rebellious immature youths that just say “no!” to everything and are purely destructive. 4/10

Track 5

This is just strange… 2/10

Track 6

Quirky track this. I’m sensing you’re trying to catch people off-guard here. Even though the solo in the middle has quality, it’s way too long! Me saying that is a bit strange, being a fan of the 60’s and 70’s rock. It caught my ear though and I predict I’ll listen to it again at some point. 7,5/10

Track 7

I don’t find that his voice blends well with the music. At least the instrumental part is nice. 5,5/10

Track 8

Meh… No… 3,5/10

Track 9

Humourous, and slightly better than the previous song… 4/10

Track 10

So this is The Clash? I’m not impressed. I’ve never taken time out to look into them, and this track certainly did not encourage me in any way. 3/10

Track 11

Here’s someone who’s trendy again every since Walk The Line. I’m not into him that much, but I like his guitar play and his charismatic voice. 7/10

Track 12

Argh, awful noise!! I think this was meant to be light-hearted, but my goodness that was dreadful 0,5/10

Track 13

I could dig this track. Good fast-paced no-nonsense rock. Finally one of the loud tracks I can listen to. 6,5/10

Track 14

By now I can safely say that punk never was and never will be anything for me. The vocals are just about dreadful on each punk song I’ve heard. The repetitiveness of this track and uninspiring riff does not help. 0/10

Track 15

Gay and proud? Superb lyrics, and the contrast couldn’t be greater (re track 14)! 6/10

Track 16

Much more accessible! I’m not digging her whiny voice though… Otherwise pretty straight-forward. 5/10

Track 17

Better than most of the other punk songs, purely because of the chorus riff. Still didn’t appeal to me 3/10

Track 18

Interesting. Different. Not something I like too much though. 5/10

Papa Roach – Getting Away With Murder

Didn’t expect Papa Roach to make an appearance. I agree with Finners here: It’s catchy, it’s heavy. It should be called hard pop instead of nu-metal :P One of the better songs by PR I’ve heard though. 5,5/10

Track 20

Metallica have made some decent stuff and not many would associate this song with them. I guess it’s ok, but I’m largely indifferent. 5/10

Track 21

Better, but still largely indifferent. I’m feeling a bit flat and maybe that’s rating this track down when it doesn’t deserve to. 5/10

Track 22

Yeah, this is far better already. It’s catchy too. I just don’t appreciate the lyrics 6/10

Track 23

Ending the way it started. I like it! 6,5

Overall 4,5

I didn’t enjoy most of this mix and although there was a pattern, there wasn’t much flow. But like Joe’s mix, it was good to hear stuff I wouldn’t normally listen to. I grew up listening to a lot of 60’s and 70’s rock, and so I find most punk bland, noisy and offensive. I gather from punk-lovers that that is pretty much the point, but I can’t see past the musical destructiveness of this genre. Not all of it is bad, but not a lot of it is good either I find. I liked most of the songs of other genres on this though. So all in all, it wasn’t a waste of my time.

:D

It was never planned to make easy listening Shen, I like contradictions and juxtapositions in music as well as life...for me it adds to the overall experience as you include more contrast in life.

Formby: It was a shoe-in for the start. The person that listens to this and doesn't smile is dead...the fact that it was too risque to mention ladies undergarments, superb.

4Skins: I wanted to put on a smattering of punk that most would not have listened to, and this is one. I think it's a cracking example of the Oi genre, sitting this side of acceptable.

Gomez: I'd die to reproduce the vocals on this track, and I've tried. Once that 16-track comes for my birthday (...and Mrs Bob better be reading this), once that digital recorder comes I'm having another bash - classic modern blues.

Pennywise: Venom condensed into pure punk perfection. "**** Authority!" Hell yea! I was a punk and I'm a scientist, I question the validity everything and take nothing on say-so. I don't believe in accepting norms in an unquestionable manner and enjoy the confrontation. This is the soundtrack when my coffin passes into the furnace.

Nimoy: No one, no mix, nothing should take itself too seriously. Nimoy always took himself too seriously as an actor and begrudged the fact that the world only understood him as Spock and not as Nimoy the Actor. And then he releases this! A beautiful example of irony and kitsch, and a counterbalance to the anger that proceeded it.

Zappa: Mad genius. Everyone should pop on some Zappa from time to time.

Christy Moore: It reminds me of my wife. It's beautiful and soft with a hint of melancholy.

Anti-Pasti: Hated Thatcher, as in I really hated Thatcher. Stand Down Margaret by The Beat is the only other song that comes close to embodying my sentiments of the time.

BBC Sound Effects: Annoying child with drum; throughout my life I've been that annoying child.

Clash: Not their best by a long shot, but I love it.

Cash: We have shared experiences, I feel the soul in his voice. Visiting the Sun Studios was a moving experience.

Dead Kennedy's: Another song from my heart, punk was taken over by Nazi-saluting idiots and thus began my political awakening and an involvement with Rock Against Racism.

Motorhead: The best song they ever did and one that was embraced by rockers and punks alike. Playing this in the youth centre made sure that you wouldn't get a kicking off them with long hair - no music ever seemed to stop the skinheads from kicking my head in though.

Exploited: The new punk movement was harsher, less art school kids and less humour. I didn't like most of it but this is a fine example of the popness of punk. Also, I've never seen someone more covered in phlegm than Watty, the mohecan'd singer.

Tom Robinson: As nihilistic punk swung one way, Tom Robinson represented an intelligent alternative moving off to other avenues. As protest songs go - this is brilliant. This is up there with anything Woody Guthrie or Ewan MacColl trotted out. Gay bashing was commonplace, along with any other form of 'bashing that went on in the early 80's.

X-Ray Spex: Poly Styrene's vocals, the sax, the day-glo explosion. I love them.

Upstarts: Mensi, another cropped punk with a political conscience. It's anger, but it's directed anger.

Buckley: The hippy movement produced some pieces of sublime brilliance. This is it, later covered by This Mortal Coil. A beautiful time out after Mensi's marauding.

Papa Roach: Guilty secrets - I like PR a lot. I ought to grow up, but I can't. I like them. A lot.

Metallica: I would fill thirteen mixes with all of the songs ever made by The Ramones. I found this shortly before doing the mix and thought it infused the original track with something new. I hate Metallica (aside from The Black Album) but this is a strong cover version.

Morphine: A band that offers a new musical experience? Opiate inspired self-indulgence. Love them.

New Model Army: My favourite angst-ridden troubadours. We love the NMA. Not only that, but "I believe in justice, I believe in vengeance...I believe in getting the bastard."

Leadbelly - Listened to two of his albums again last night. Under the blistering heel of oppression and grinding poverty, people like Leadbelly sought to create beauty and celebration. Every song he sings is a testament to the strength of life and of the certainty of a future. A statement of resilience against anything that may try to crush us. Whether Leadbelly knew it or not, he was as punk as they come.

Next time I'm going to pack a mix with ska, calypso and dub.

Archived