Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Football Manager Diary II

Riceyboy-luton.jpg

Here we go again then another Football Mananger Diary, this time I've decided to go more lower league and opt for Luton Town.

Club Details:

Stadium - Kenilworth Road

Stadium capacity - 9,975

Finances - £158,192

Transfer budget - £30,000

Salary budget - £23,000

Salary total - £23,500

Board Expectations - Respectable league position

Fan expectations - Respectable league position

Squad - Link

Preview:

It's certainly going to be a challenge getting Luton into the top half looking at the current squad and with the finances we have. We have a few good players like Rowan Vine on loan rom Portsmouth, Kevin Foley a young right back and Ahmed Brkovic a Croation midfielder but there isn't enough quality. I will have to work very hard in the transfer market to bring in free signings and loan deals.

It's going to be really interesting to see how I do, looking forward to it.

First two months Fixtures:

12/07 - Mansfield - A - Friendly

17/07 - Welling - A - Friendly

20/07 - Barrow - A - Friendly

23/07 - Yeovil - A - Friendly

29/07 - Southampton - H - Friendly

7/08 - Oldham - H - League One

11/08 - Swindon - A - League One

14/08 - Barnsley - A - League One

21/08 - Torquay - H - League One

25/08 - Unknown - Carling Cup 1st round

28/08 - Blackpool - A - League One

30/08 - Bournemouth - H - League One

Enjoy...

12th July 2004 - Friendly

Mansfield Town 0-3 Luton Town

13th July 2004 - Hired John Cockerill as my assistant manager

16th July 2004 - Signed Steve Claridge from Wycombe for £2,000. I just couldn't resist signing Sooper Steve, I still think he could bag a few goals.

17th July 2004 - Friendly

Welling 1-0 Luton Town

17th July 2004 - Hired Milan legend George Weah as a coach :D He is a very good coach aswell.

20th July 2004 - Friendly

Barrow 1-3 Luton Town

23rd July 2004 - Friendly

Yeovil Town 2-0 Luton Town

27th July 2004 - Brought Garry Brady from Dundee for £5,000. He looks a solid midfielder and good for the price, I'm finding it hard to find good enough players that are interested and who I can afford.

looks like you have got quite a player in Brady!!

are you going to try and get any city players on loan - Dawson or Stearman maybe

84447[/snapback]

Tried to get Heath and McCarthy but Levein weren't having any of it.

Try getting Andrew Martin from a non-league team. He's a striker and I think he'll do well given the chance.

Also there's a striker in the lower leagues called D'Sane who might do well.

84498[/snapback]

Cheers Hoof, I'll take a gander.

Brady seems a quality find! :thumbup:

what size db do you play with?...you should check out Dwigght Pezzarossi before its too late...he's on a free and I managed to get him with Sheff Wed in pre-season, so it's not impossible ;) Easily Premier League class player :D

what size db do you play with?...you should check out Dwigght Pezzarossi before its too late...he's on a free and I managed to get him with Sheff Wed in pre-season, so it's not impossible ;) Easily Premier League class player :D

84544[/snapback]

I have it on huge database.

Tried to sign Pazzarosi because he looked quality but he wasn't interested in Luton :(

84544[/snapback]

I have it on huge database.

Tried to sign Pazzarosi because he looked quality but he wasn't interested in Luton :(

84552[/snapback]

Too bad... although you would probably have cruised through the league with him up front ^_^ makes for a bigger challenge without him..

29th July 2004 - Friendly

Luton Town 1-0 Southampton

28th July 2004 - Charles N'Zogbia joins on loan for the season from Newcastle, he doesn't have amazing stats but his pace should be a threat.

2nd August 2004 - Tommy Black joins on loan for 3 months from Palace, very pleased with this deal because he is a high profile player with some good stats.

3rd August 2004 - Signed Mark Williams rom MK Dons for £1,000. A very good deal or a solid centre back.

7th August 2004 - League One

Luton Town 1-1 Oldham Athletic

A very even game that deserbed to end in a draw. We put together some very neat attacking moves during the game and the signs were promising. Oldham took the lead with a deflected Guy Branston free-kick but in the 37th minute a great move saw Steve Howard head in at the far post.

7th August 2004 - Sold Chris Coyne to Newcastle Jets for £130k.

11th August 2004 - League One

Swindon Town 1-0 Luton Town

Played very well but lacked any threat upfront. Rory Fallen scored Swindons only goal and to make things worse Tommy Black was sent off just before half time.

14th August 2004 - League One

Barnsley 1-0 Luton Town

An almost carbon copy of the Swindon game! We played well but created little in terms of good chances and we once again had a player sent off, this time Paul Hughes in the 84th minute and this lead to Barnsley goal in the 88th minute.

21st August 2004 - League One

Luton Town 0-1 Torquay United

We have a serious discipline and scoring problem : Yet again we lose 1-0 and yet again we have a player sent off, this time Mark Williams. Things need to change or we will be playing League Two football next season. I'm finding it tough to bring in players aty the moment even with the money from the Coyne deal.

Try and get Maheta Molango on loan from Brighton. Guaranteed goals in the lower leagues.

Although you should be fine with Rowan Vine ;) He's a goal machine whenever i've had him in my teams.

84863[/snapback]

Ive just signed him for MK Dons on your advice Mr Chainsaw.

Lets hope the guarenteed goals come :thumbup:

Tough start there, Ricey.... don't get disheartened though. I often start the season in terrible fashion and improve along the season.

You should probably just fiddle with your tactics until you find what suits your squad best. Remember... teams down there don't have much creativity or flair, so it pays most of the time to use defensive minded tactics :thumbup:

Tough start there, Ricey.... don't get disheartened though. I often start the season in terrible fashion and improve along the season.

You should probably just fiddle with your tactics until you find what suits your squad best. Remember... teams down there don't have much creativity or flair, so it pays most of the time to use defensive minded tactics :thumbup:

84870[/snapback]

thats i just started with hinckey and lost the first game of the season 5-1 now top of the league and in the FA cup 1st round :)

I've been Luton on many occasions and never fail to qualify for the play offs in my first season, so I will give you a few hints.

Firstly you have some great youngsters who you may or may not be using. Keith Keane is a great defensive midfielder and one that after a year I managed to sell on to Beits for 200k. Which you may have already gathered is a lot of money for Town. Lee Mansell and Sean Ridgeway should also be onthe fringes of the first team at least.

The only players of any worth in the transfer market are Coyne, Nicholls and Howard. You will naturally want to kee hold of all of these but you could get 100k each for all of them. I would suggest selling one of either Hoeward or Nicholls as they are replacable, it will be difficult to come across a defender as solid as Coyne.

Signings. Rohan Ricketts and Aaron Lennon will both be the best players in the division if you are able to convince them to come on loan as I have in the past. They are both great as they are versitile players and score goals from midfield. Our own Tommy Wright is usually available for loan in the first season and can score at league one level at a 1 goal in 2 basis.

You need to get some experience in your squad to play with all of those young players, here are a list of players I have had who have performed well...

Andy Mellville

Sean Goater (a goal a game)

Paul Shaw

Eion Jess

Gary Croft

Lastly the key to managing smaller clubs is selling the players you do not need. You can't afford to have players not playing and taking a slary and what is more you can a small but not insignificent transfer fee for many of them. I would definately suggests selling the likes of Holmes, Showumni, Perrett, Nielson. You may get around 80k for all of them and you can build a team with that!

Cheers for the advice TrickyTrev, I'll bear all that in mind and have a look at those players :)

There may be a little update later on but after that I won't be updating for a week as I'm with my girlfriend.

Cheers for the advice TrickyTrev, I'll bear all that in mind and have a look at those players :)

There may be a little update later on but after that I won't be updating for a week as I'm with my girlfriend.

84969[/snapback]

Choosing your g/f over FOOTBALL MANAGER Ricey. Thats a first :o;)

84969[/snapback]

Choosing your g/f over FOOTBALL MANAGER Ricey. Thats a first :o;)

84982[/snapback]

That's how much I love her! :D

Archived