Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

There's already some good advice, but from my own perspective, this is what I did. Training for a half or a full marathon is pretty much the same, but with obviously less mileage for the half.

The first thing I did was work out how many weeks I had until the race. Then I planned for a taper, which is 2-3 weeks. This is really important, and although you'll feel that you should be doing lots, you need to resist!

I then planned my weekly schedule backwards. Running 2-4 times in the week is fine, and then you'll want your long run at the weekend. Don't forget that you could be ill between now and then, or pick up an injury. If you do, don't panic, cross off what you don't do, and as long as you can get the long runs in, it should be fine. I found the training schedules from the internet quite useful. Runners World is good.

What I found helpful was mixing up the types of runs during the week, and as I did those on a treadmill it was quite easy to do structured hill sessions and interval training. Those really do help!

Also, use the long runs to plan your race day, so if you want to use gel sachets or a particular isotonic drink, it's best to do so then, Raj learnt the hard way! It's great for breaking in your running gear as well.

For a 2hr half marathon, you are looking at a pacing of 10.5km/h, which is 5m43 km or just over 9m miles. If you know your outdoor route well, it might be worth writing the splits on your arm, or make up a wristband to help you with your pacing. Or invest in a GPS watch; I have the Garmin Forerunner 205. It's good!

Hope this helps, there's a lot to take in.

And good luck! I'm planning on running the Leicester Half in October.

Thanks for this Lisa... very useful. Guess I better get running now. Damn.

And thanks to everyone else... Smiffy, andyh1884, etc.

The Running Fox in Loughborough is the best running shoe shop that I'm aware of in the locale, but the new one on Clarendon Park Road is pretty decent if that's easier (I'm assuming you're in Leicester, which you might not be, of course). As a previous poster said, having the right shoes is crucial.

My tip is to run very slowly to start with. Most people going charging off, are knackered after two minutes, decide it's too hard and never run again. Build up gradually!

I'm going running tonight for the first time in a few weeks. Not really looking forward to it, if I'm honest

The Running Fox in Loughborough is the best running shoe shop that I'm aware of in the locale, but the new one on Clarendon Park Road is pretty decent if that's easier (I'm assuming you're in Leicester, which you might not be, of course). As a previous poster said, having the right shoes is crucial.

My tip is to run very slowly to start with. Most people going charging off, are knackered after two minutes, decide it's too hard and never run again. Build up gradually!

I'm going running tonight for the first time in a few weeks. Not really looking forward to it, if I'm honest

Cheers. I'm actually in London so fortunately for me there's no shortage of decent running shops. There's one at Canary Wharf where I work so I'll go down there this week I reckon...

This having a proper shoe thing is a recurring theme.

I'm trying "tempo" training to make sure I beat Raj in the Leicester Half.

It's a killer. :cry:

I'm throwing my hat into the ring. I was injured for it last year, but I'm determined to run a competitive half marathon, although events keep conspiring against me.

What sort of time would you expect to do it in?

Snap. But it was my first for a while.

Keep at it, you'll be amazed how quickly you improve. Did you do your stretches like a good boy?

Yeah I hadn't ran for awhile either. A week of beer and laziness in Cyprus took its toll.

And no I didn't do my stretches. For some reason I always think I don't need to. I'm an idiot.

I'm throwing my hat into the ring. I was injured for it last year, but I'm determined to run a competitive half marathon, although events keep conspiring against me.

What sort of time would you expect to do it in?

I want to get under 1hr 45mins. This should be achievable. It is a mere 11 minutes of my PB. :blink:

Yeah I hadn't ran for awhile either. A week of beer and laziness in Cyprus took its toll.

And no I didn't do my stretches. For some reason I always think I don't need to. I'm an idiot.

I always stretch. I feel fine.

Sir Fynwy does not stretch. He regularly has hamstring or calf strains.

I win.

I'm trying "tempo" training to make sure I beat Raj in the Leicester Half.

It's a killer. :cry:

I want to get under 1hr 45mins. This should be achievable. It is a mere 11 minutes of my PB. :blink:

I always stretch. I feel fine.

Sir Fynwy does not stretch. He regularly has hamstring or calf strains.

I win.

Young lady! :angry:

If you even dream of beating me in the half marathon you better wake up and apologise!!! :D

Actually my PB was 1hr 49 for the old Leics half and that was 3 years ago when i was younger and fitter!!!!

I'll be ecstatic if i finish in under 2 hours!!!! :scarf::scarf:

I normally finish just behing a good looking leggy brunette(Dont know why!!!! :whistle: )

P.S i dont warm up(cos of my Achilles problem my Pyhsio actually told me NOT to!!!) he said take the first and last miles really easy,hence warming the muscles up and down respectively and hopefully avoiding injury and touch wood ive been ok for a while!!! :thumbup:

Young lady! :angry:

If you even dream of beating me in the half marathon you better wake up and apologise!!! :D

Actually my PB was 1hr 49 for the old Leics half and that was 3 years ago when i was younger and fitter!!!!

I'll be ecstatic if i finish in under 2 hours!!!! :scarf::scarf:

I normally finish just behing a good looking leggy brunette(Dont know why!!!! :whistle: )

P.S i dont warm up(cos of my Achilles problem my Pyhsio actually told me NOT to!!!) he said take the first and last miles really easy,hence warming the muscles up and down respectively and hopefully avoiding injury and touch wood ive been ok for a while!!! :thumbup:

That's my goal. Anything more would be rash, frankly

That's my goal. Anything more would be rash, frankly

Yes but your stride is probably equal to 3 of mine!!!!

Lanky bastard!!!

(P.S You staying in L1 or not???)

Yes but your stride is probably equal to 3 of mine!!!!

Lanky bastard!!!

(P.S You staying in L1 or not???)

We haven't decided yet. We think there may be fewer fairweather f***wits in there thanks to relegation. It got loads worse after the Mandaric takeover

I'm planning on running the Leicester half marathon later in the year, as I know some of you are too and can i just say many thanks for the tips listed by people on this thread.

I generally do 4-5 miles 3-4 times a week so I'll be gradually increasing the distance and maybe slightly decrease the frequency of runs up until the date of the run.

And that online pedometer is very useful indeed :thumbup:

So thanks everyone and good luck to all those that are doing any marathon/half marathon

• 4 months later...
So then...

I've decided to run the Windsor Half-Marathon in September with my housemate. I'm going to run for the Stroke Association as my girlfriend's father is currently in hospital after suffering a stroke and even though it is one of the UK's biggest killers it only receives a tiny fraction of the funding and donations that, for example, Cancer research receives. So it's a worthy cause and one that right now is particularly close to heart.

Anyway. This isn't a sob story to try and squeeze some pounds out of you lot, I'll save that for closer to the time. What I'm looking for is advice on preparation and advice for the actual day. I'm not what you would consider a natural athlete although I try to run 3-4 miles a few times a week, generally takes me about 30-35 minutes. Obviously this is a big step up so it'd be very useful to gather some wise words off you lot. I know it's not a marathon but it's still a long way and I want to achieve the best time possible.

So. I'm currently looking in the direction of our resident media whore Alex, marathon heroine Lisa and of course Mr Muscle Tommy G - fitness virtuosos all of you.

Thank you.

Oh god. It's on Sunday.

I've done 10 miles a couple of times in training and I felt ok. I'm just nervous about going beyond that. Hopefully the adrenaline will keep me going.

Been blown away by all the donations I've had. With the 30% my employer donates I should be able to go through £1,000 which will be absolutely brilliant, that target was always a bit ambitious I thought.

Anyway I've taken it easy this week, only run a couple of times.

Any last minute tips from anyone much appreciated!

Oh god. It's on Sunday.

I've done 10 miles a couple of times in training and I felt ok. I'm just nervous about going beyond that. Hopefully the adrenaline will keep me going.

Been blown away by all the donations I've had. With the 30% my employer donates I should be able to go through £1,000 which will be absolutely brilliant, that target was always a bit ambitious I thought.

Good luck hope it goes well :thumbup:

Fill up on complex carbs tomorrow, and make sure you take on plenty of water.

I never drink alcohol in the week before a run.

Don't worry about the last 3 miles - I'm guessing your 10 miles are around 1 1/2 hrs? If that's so, then you only have to push out another 25-30 mins max, and you will do it. If I can anyone can. What am I saying? If Raj can, anyone can!! lol

Get to the venue early.

Keep warm as long as possible.

When the race starts, do not follow the pace of the crowds. Many will run past you. If you trust your pacing, you will pass these numpties along the way.

I find listening to music helps shut me off from everyone else (however I do remember those who have gone past me, and then I overtake a couple of miles later).

You've done amazingly well to get this far, so enjoy the day and the experience. Whatever you run, it will be a personal best. :thumbup:

Oh god. It's on Sunday.

I reckon you'll be fine if you can do 10 miles mate. I'm doing one soon too so I asked my flatmate who does full marathons how long I should leave before the run and he said give yourself at least a few days, so I'd rest up before sunday if I were you.

I always find that a few pints of Guinness the night before I go for a long run helps but this may just be me :D

Good luck for it :thumbup:

Fill up on complex carbs tomorrow, and make sure you take on plenty of water.

I never drink alcohol in the week before a run.

Don't worry about the last 3 miles - I'm guessing your 10 miles are around 1 1/2 hrs? If that's so, then you only have to push out another 25-30 mins max, and you will do it. If I can anyone can. What am I saying? If Raj can, anyone can!! lol

Get to the venue early.

Keep warm as long as possible.

When the race starts, do not follow the pace of the crowds. Many will run past you. If you trust your pacing, you will pass these numpties along the way.

I find listening to music helps shut me off from everyone else (however I do remember those who have gone past me, and then I overtake a couple of miles later).

You've done amazingly well to get this far, so enjoy the day and the experience. Whatever you run, it will be a personal best. :thumbup:

Thanks Lisa.

Complex carbs? Well, I have planned a jacket potato with chicken and veg for lunch and then brown pasta for dinner. Plus fruit smoothies and nuts and things. Sure that will be ok.

Barely drank a thing for 3 weeks now. Had a glass of wine last night but that's it now until after the race (when I plan on getting ruined).

Your advice about keeping to my pace is good. I'm expecting to do it in just over 2 hours, I really don't want to push myself too hard so 10km/hour pace will do as it's my first one.

And yeah I plan on enjoying myself, it looks like a picturesque run and I know there'll be a decent crowd which will only help.

I reckon you'll be fine if you can do 10 miles mate. I'm doing one soon too so I asked my flatmate who does full marathons how long I should leave before the run and he said give yourself at least a few days, so I'd rest up before sunday if I were you.

Good luck for it :thumbup:

Thank you.

And thanks fox123 as well.

Thanks Lisa.

Complex carbs? Well, I have planned a jacket potato with chicken and veg for lunch and then brown pasta for dinner. Plus fruit smoothies and nuts and things. Sure that will be ok.

Barely drank a thing for 3 weeks now. Had a glass of wine last night but that's it now until after the race (when I plan on getting ruined).

Your advice about keeping to my pace is good. I'm expecting to do it in just over 2 hours, I really don't want to push myself too hard so 10km/hour pace will do as it's my first one.

And yeah I plan on enjoying myself, it looks like a picturesque run and I know there'll be a decent crowd which will only help.

Looks like you've got it sorted. Good luck, and all the best with it!

Oh god. It's on Sunday.

Good luck for Sunday, sounds like you'll be fine :thumbup:

Archived