Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Been told I need to start jogging as part of my physio, not happy in the slightest.

My physio says I need to start off with a 20-30 minute jog, so all those who run in here, what sort of distance should I be aiming to cover in that time?

Bearing in mind, I am not in shape at all.

:unsure:

Don't worry about the distance. If you really are out of shape, you'll struggle to run for twenty minutes. Speed and distance really don't matter a jot when you're starting out...put your effort into seeing how long you can jog for, no matter how slowly

I'm now 3 weeks into my regime of training for the Reading Half Marathon in March.

When I started I could barely run 2 miles. Now I'm up to 3.8.... being unemployed does have its advantages in terms of free time! Quite enjoying it, apart from in awful weather....

Aiming to be up to 5 in a few weeks time... quite suprised at how good the progress has been actually. I will start up a fundraising page soon.

I'm now 3 weeks into my regime of training for the Reading Half Marathon in March.

When I started I could barely run 2 miles. Now I'm up to 3.8.... being unemployed does have its advantages in terms of free time! Quite enjoying it, apart from in awful weather....

Aiming to be up to 5 in a few weeks time... quite suprised at how good the progress has been actually. I will start up a fundraising page soon.

Good work mate. Where do you go running? I'm quite lucky as I basically do a lap of Rotherhithe which is pretty much exactly 5km. Been running 4-5 times a week doing quick 5k runs with the odd 7k in there. Need to step it up to at least a 10km before Christmas if I'm going to go under 2 hours for Reading.

I'm in Bethnal Green at the moment, and my long circuit is down Regent Canal to Limehouse Basin and back, 3.8 miles. I'm running at a really good pace, I think around 9 minute miles, but I'm mixing that it with a bit of walking so I'm averaging out almost exactly at 10 mins per mile, which I'm reasonably pleased with given that running is still pretty new to me. On short runs I'm just running around Victoria Park, which is just around the corner, both offer pretty nice surroundings.

Hopefully I can keep it up through the winter.

I'm in Bethnal Green at the moment, and my long circuit is down Regent Canal to Limehouse Basin and back, 3.8 miles. I'm running at a really good pace, I think around 9 minute miles, but I'm mixing that it with a bit of walking so I'm averaging out almost exactly at 10 mins per mile, which I'm reasonably pleased with given that running is still pretty new to me. On short runs I'm just running around Victoria Park, which is just around the corner, both offer pretty nice surroundings.

Hopefully I can keep it up through the winter.

Victoria Park is really nice isn't it. I'm probably moving to Aldgate East area in January so won't be far at all from where you are. Give me a shout if you fancy a Sunday run at some point. There's a really nice route along the Thames towpath from Putney to Richmond which is about 15km so probably one to do closer to the time.

Victoria Park is really nice isn't it. I'm probably moving to Aldgate East area in January so won't be far at all from where you are. Give me a shout if you fancy a Sunday run at some point. There's a really nice route along the Thames towpath from Putney to Richmond which is about 15km so probably one to do closer to the time.

You're going to move to Aldgate East, from Surrey Quays? Why??? Mind you, curry every night isn't a bad prospect. Not sure how long I'll be living here as my gf may have to go back to the states soon (she is out running 14 miles as I type)..... but that sounds decent (i'll probably get us on the wrong train though)

You're going to move to Aldgate East, from Surrey Quays? Why??? Mind you, curry every night isn't a bad prospect. Not sure how long I'll be living here as my gf may have to go back to the states soon (she is out running 14 miles as I type)..... but that sounds decent (i'll probably get us on the wrong train though)

Moving in with other half ('bout time really, it's been 7 years!). She wants to be quite central, I love curry, we both like going out round there so it made sense really. Lots of nice flats between there and Tower Bridge. I'll miss being in Surrey Quays, grown quite attached to the area but times change and you got to go with it.

I ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon on Sunday, and fook me, although it was a great experience, there were plenty of times during that run where I was not having fun at all. It was below freezing for the entire race (and roads were covered with ice at some of the water stations; even the water in the cups had ice) and I banged up my left foot around the 2-mile mark and had to deal with that the whole way, so all things considered I'm quite pleased to finish that race (my first half marathon) in 1:52.03.

Just for the hell of it, I ran a 5-mile Thanksgiving "turkey trot" on Thursday morning and my clock time was 38:37. The beginning of the race was a traffic jam because the road was so narrow, but I was surprised how good I felt running and how strong I ran the last two miles because I was miserable for three days following Philly.

I think I ought to take a few days off from running. :/

Been told I need to start jogging as part of my physio, not happy in the slightest.

My physio says I need to start off with a 20-30 minute jog, so all those who run in here, what sort of distance should I be aiming to cover in that time?

Bearing in mind, I am not in shape at all.

:unsure:

2-3 miles looks about right for a beginner. Don't try and run the whole time at first, especially if you are unfit. Mix jogging with walking for the first couple of weeks.

And don't forget to stretch!!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it really 20 days since this thread last had a post!?

My training is going well, ran 6 miles last weekend, a new record for me. Going for 6 again this weekend as don't want to push myself too far and would rather focus on endurance - I did a bit of walking in the 6 miles so I need to focus on ironing that out. Going to set up fundraising page over Christmas to raise money for the Kidney Patients Association. Will be great to raise some money for them as they bought me a laptop for study when I was on dialysis 8 years ago.

At the moment I'm hitting the gym 3 times a week and running 3 times a week. Gym usually includes 10 - 20 mins cardio and runs are usually 2 x 4 miles and 1 x long run. For the first time EVER I'm noticing an impriovement. :)

As long as you see an improvement, that's the thing.

I have suffered with illness over the last few weeks. I ran over 120km in October, but have barely managed 20km in November and December. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now 6 weeks into my training and I have progressed from running 1.5 miles to running 7 on my long run. Only 6.1 more to go. I've been a bit slack over the festive period so just getting back into it, though have a niggling knee pain.

It's 12 weeks until the Reading half marathon - I'm aiming to finish it in about 2:10 - 2:15. Slow but I have never run before, and certainly never competitively. My goal is just to finish in a half respectable time.

I've set up a fundraising page, link in my signature below. A couple of FT members have sponsored already, I'd be really really grateful if you could also! It is for a great cause - helping to improve the lives of those on renal dialysis as I was 9 years ago.

Oh, and James. as much as I'd like to see you on the start line, I don't rate the chances of it unless you can see about half a mile behind you. Thanks for your sponsorship.

I'm now 6 weeks into my training and I have progressed from running 1.5 miles to running 7 on my long run. Only 6.1 more to go. I've been a bit slack over the festive period so just getting back into it, though have a niggling knee pain.

It's 12 weeks until the Reading half marathon - I'm aiming to finish it in about 2:10 - 2:15. Slow but I have never run before, and certainly never competitively. My goal is just to finish in a half respectable time.

I've set up a fundraising page, link in my signature below. A couple of FT members have sponsored already, I'd be really really grateful if you could also! It is for a great cause - helping to improve the lives of those on renal dialysis as I was 9 years ago.

Oh, and James. as much as I'd like to see you on the start line, I don't rate the chances of it unless you can see about half a mile behind you. Thanks for your sponsorship.

Have I sponsored already? If not I'll get onto it. I was going to do the Reading one but to be honest I've been lazy as fuck with teh move and everything. Taking on Hyde Park tonight. I better not get raped. Is Hyde Park too classy a place to get raped in? I hope so.

Have I sponsored already? If not I'll get onto it. I was going to do the Reading one but to be honest I've been lazy as fuck with teh move and everything. Taking on Hyde Park tonight. I better not get raped. Is Hyde Park too classy a place to get raped in? I hope so.

Nope you haven't yet.... that would be awesome.

That was so Peep Show.

Archived