Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Bellend and Co.

Bloody good luck to you and all those running the half(Or full if you really are mental!!!)

Ive ran 4 half marathons(The last one being the Leic a few years ago when it was based in Desford!)

Its a really enjoyable(Perhaps NOT at the time!) event to take part in.

And the satisfaction you get when you complete it is beyond words.

Wish i could 'do a Lisa' and do a full one but the more i think of it,the less likely it will ever be!!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks guys, and good luck to Emilio Lestavez and everyone else taking part. I'm really looking forward to it now. Went for a quick run last night to loosen things up and am feeling pretty good - all my aches and pains seem to have subsided, or at least until I'm 9 miles in on Sunday

Went for a quick run last night to loosen things up and am feeling pretty good - all my aches and pains seem to have subsided, or at least until I'm 9 miles in on Sunday
It's normally about 11 miles. :thumbup:

I can't believe it's done.

1hr, 57 minutes and 37 seconds. It's hardly legendary but my target was to get within 2 hours so I'm pretty pleased.

I've got the mother of all blisters on the ball of my left foot, but apart from that, no ill effects whatsoever. In fact, I was surprised at the lack of pain, and I even finished pretty strongly. Running through the Highcross was pretty smart, running up New Walk less so. It was all a lot more FUN than I would have expected. It was nice to have all those people clapping and giving encouragement along the way - makes a marked change from the usual chav abuse I get when pounding the streets

1hr, 57 minutes and 37 seconds. It's hardly legendary but my target was to get within 2 hours so I'm pretty pleased.

I've got the mother of all blisters on the ball of my left foot, but apart from that, no ill effects whatsoever. In fact, I was surprised at the lack of pain, and I even finished pretty strongly. Running through the Highcross was pretty smart, running up New Walk less so. It was all a lot more FUN than I would have expected. It was nice to have all those people clapping and giving encouragement along the way - makes a marked change from the usual chav abuse I get when pounding the streets

:appl: Well done!! See, I told you it would be fun!

I never noticed New Walk was on an incline until I had to run up it. :angry:

Why thank you. People have said to me before that you get carried away by the occasion and I think that's true - I don't think I would have done as well on that distance on my own

The question is, will you be doing it again?

:chant:

And, hopefully, you will be able to come back here and say that again tomorrow :unsure:

Fecking hell my thighs are killing me. Pleased I finished and within the 2.15-2.30 I thought I would too. Now I've got a time to beat for the next one I do. Well done Bellend, that's an impressive time :thumbup:

Now for a weeks holiday touring round Ireland to relax :celebrate:

Well done Boys!!! :appl:

Esp Bellend you old twat!!!! :D

My m8 done it in 1hr 34ish(bastard!!!!!)

Im going to do this next year.

I did the Desford Halfs a couple of times but defo :unsure: gonna do this!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I regularly do a 3 mile run around my village...last two times I've had a go I had to stop in the same place, after 2 miles, couldn't carry on.

I used to do less than 3 miles and get a cramp/stitch in my stomach....used to think it was because I'd just eaten. When I went out today for my 3 miles, at 2pm, I hadn't eaten since 1am! I felt fine (well as fine as you can when running) and then bam, same time as before around 1.5 miles I start to get this pain right at the bottom of my ribcage on the right-hand side, same place as the time before. By the time you reach 2 miles the pain has grown so much you have to stop!

Any idea what this is? Is it just the infamous pain-barrier? Do I need to grow some bigger balls and just run through the pain Or something to actually worry about? Wheres Tommy G when you need him??

I regularly do a 3 mile run around my village...last two times I've had a go I had to stop in the same place, after 2 miles, couldn't carry on.

I used to do less than 3 miles and get a cramp/stitch in my stomach....used to think it was because I'd just eaten. When I went out today for my 3 miles, at 2pm, I hadn't eaten since 1am! I felt fine (well as fine as you can when running) and then bam, same time as before around 1.5 miles I start to get this pain right at the bottom of my ribcage on the right-hand side, same place as the time before. By the time you reach 2 miles the pain has grown so much you have to stop!

Any idea what this is? Is it just the infamous pain-barrier? Do I need to grow some bigger balls and just run through the pain Or something to actually worry about? Wheres Tommy G when you need him??

If it's at the same point each time then maybe its slightly pyscological? Try running somewhere different where you have no idea how far you've gone and then plough on.

The fact that it gets so bad you have to stop suggests you should probably get it checked out. I doubt it's anything serious but a doctor will have a much better idea of the cause.

Lisa could be right about water though.

On the subject of running I'm starting to get back into the swing of things ahead of the Reading half in March. But f**k me 2 weeks in Cuba and a lot of parties have taken their toll. I'm a pale imitation of the runner I used to be. 5km this evening hurt. A lot.

Illness has taken it's toll. Two weeks ago I was averaging 5:06m/km, today is the 2nd time I'm "run" in about a week and half, and I'm back down to 6m/km. :(

I hate me, sometimes.

Probably wouldn't help with the pain but I'd suggest eating breakfast, or at least somehting if you're going to go running.

How far did you run before you tried to do 3m? I forgot :P

The fact that it gets so bad you have to stop suggests you should probably get it checked out. I doubt it's anything serious but a doctor will have a much better idea of the cause.

Lisa could be right about water though.

On the subject of running I'm starting to get back into the swing of things ahead of the Reading half in March. But f**k me 2 weeks in Cuba and a lot of parties have taken their toll. I'm a pale imitation of the runner I used to be. 5km this evening hurt. A lot.

Cool you have signed up to Reading, should be a good day out... just starting my training since I got back last week.... still on the 2 mile mark so a loooong way to go!

Cool you have signed up to Reading, should be a good day out... just starting my training since I got back last week.... still on the 2 mile mark so a loooong way to go!

It's pretty much the first time I've been back to Reading since I left the year after finishing university (2004). It's going to be nostalgic and very possibly emotional.

My coach gave me a tip on this once and it actually worked for me.

What you do is exaggerate your breathing and really blow when you exhale but you breathe to the rhythm of your pace. You breathe out at the same time as your foot lands on the affected side i.e if your cramp is on the right, breathe (blow) out as your right foot hits the ground.

Seriously it works, I used to train over 100 miles a week, was very fit and didn't get cramp very often. When I did, I tried the above and it worked.

Is it going to be flat? I want to do another half marathon, but preferably a flat one.

There are two climbs I think but if I remember rightly at least one of them is brief and not particularly harsh. The rest is flat. Do it!

There are two climbs I think but if I remember rightly at least one of them is brief and not particularly harsh. The rest is flat. Do it!

Grrrr. Yeah, yeah!!!!!

Archived