Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

So then...

I've decided to run the Windsor Half-Marathon in September with my housemate. I'm going to run for the Stroke Association as my girlfriend's father is currently in hospital after suffering a stroke and even though it is one of the UK's biggest killers it only receives a tiny fraction of the funding and donations that, for example, Cancer research receives. So it's a worthy cause and one that right now is particularly close to heart.

Anyway. This isn't a sob story to try and squeeze some pounds out of you lot, I'll save that for closer to the time. What I'm looking for is advice on preparation and advice for the actual day. I'm not what you would consider a natural athlete although I try to run 3-4 miles a few times a week, generally takes me about 30-35 minutes. Obviously this is a big step up so it'd be very useful to gather some wise words off you lot. I know it's not a marathon but it's still a long way and I want to achieve the best time possible.

So. I'm currently looking in the direction of our resident media whore Alex, marathon heroine Lisa and of course Mr Muscle Tommy G - fitness virtuosos all of you.

Thank you.

So then...

I've decided to run the Windsor Half-Marathon in September with my housemate. I'm going to run for the Stroke Association as my girlfriend's father is currently in hospital after suffering a stroke and even though it is one of the UK's biggest killers it only receives a tiny fraction of the funding and donations that, for example, Cancer research receives. So it's a worthy cause and one that right now is particularly close to heart.

Anyway. This isn't a sob story to try and squeeze some pounds out of you lot, I'll save that for closer to the time. What I'm looking for is advice on preparation and advice for the actual day. I'm not what you would consider a natural athlete although I try to run 3-4 miles a few times a week, generally takes me about 30-35 minutes. Obviously this is a big step up so it'd be very useful to gather some wise words off you lot. I know it's not a marathon but it's still a long way and I want to achieve the best time possible.

So. I'm currently looking in the direction of our resident media whore Alex, marathon heroine Lisa and of course Mr Muscle Tommy G - fitness virtuosos all of you.

Thank you.

You cheeky ****. Anyway...

I'm not an expert on running at all so I won't pretend. In terms of diet though I would try and eat as healthy as possible from now on. Sounds simple and patronising but diet is just as important as the training. I don't know what your diet is like at the minute though? It might already be decent

A week before the event eat start carbo loading. Basically eat as much good carbs as possible to build up energy stores in your body. Plenty of oats (porridge) wholemeal pasta and spaghetti and wholemeal bread. Before the event take a few pro-pluses and a couple of caffeine tablets or red bull. Penty of fluids and energy drinks and bars all the way round.

Artificial help is out there so you may aswell use it.

Be careful or steroids though, don't use them :cool:

I'm not an expert on running at all so I won't pretend. In terms of diet though I would try and eat as healthy as possible from now on. Sounds simple and patronising but diet is just as important as the training. I don't know what your diet is like at the minute though? It might already be decent

A week before the event eat start carbo loading. Basically eat as much good carbs as possible to build up energy stores in your body. Plenty of oats (porridge) wholemeal pasta and spaghetti and wholemeal bread. Before the event take a few pro-pluses and a couple of caffeine tablets or red bull. Penty of fluids and energy drinks and bars all the way round.

Preach!

Thank you sir. I'm only a cheeky c**t on a Sunday. Seriously though that's useful advice, particularly the good carbs bit. My diet is pretty good but I probably just eat too much of everything. I should be fat, but I'm the opposite. I guess if I'm running loads and eating loads of the right stuff then I'll get away with that.

So then...

Thank you.

Morning!

Ive done 3 half marathons in the last 4/5 years (YES even at my age!!!)

Heres some tips(not that i am THAT qualified to give any,but here some anyway!)

Build up mileage gradually.

Yours is Sept,so you've got 4 months???

Your doing 3-4 miles a few times a week in decent time-thats a good start.

Just try and add an extra mile to that every week until you can EASILY do 5/6 miles by end of june.

Then (and this is with my old body,you may still be ok doing 3-4 runs BUT i cut down to 2-3a week doing an hour run,about 6-7 miles COMFORTABLY.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Some days will be easier than others-Push yourself BUT dont over do it else something will go BANG! and you'll be fcuked.

I did my achilles going up a hill and i was out for all last year!

By the end of AUG you should be looking to do a 10-11 miler a few times (1hr 20-30mins)

Unless you are going for record timing this should suffice

My times were about 1hr 50

As long as you can do 10 miles QUITE comfortably a week or so b4 the event you'll be ok as adrenaline will take you thro the last 3.

BUT if your body is upto it,go abit more as the extra training all help.

Better to do more than less,as you wont question yourself when your feeling fooked at 10 miles!!!

if your running in hot weather,take a water bottle as you'll be fcuked if you dont,you can get the palm held ones or get a belt which you can put bottles in!

But best tip is ,always listen to your body and avoid injury.

Rest and eat well,and you'll be fine.

Im sure Lisa will put you right with more proper tips as she did the London Marathon recently and im probably talking bollox!!!

Good luck! :thumbup:

So then...

Thank you.

I've done a half marathon for the last 4 years, the first time I did it I got a 16-week training guide off the internet. It was pretty useful, basically helps you build up gradually. I wasn't the fittest when I started - just about made it through a game of 5-a-side - so it was really good. I could email it to you if you pm me your email address?

Good luck, it's hard work but well worth it when you cross the line

Morning!

Ive done 3 half marathons in the last 4/5 years (YES even at my age!!!)

Heres some tips(not that i am THAT qualified to give any,but here some anyway!)

Build up mileage gradually.

Yours is Sept,so you've got 4 months???

Your doing 3-4 miles a few times a week in decent time-thats a good start.

Just try and add an extra mile to that every week until you can EASILY do 5/6 miles by end of june.

Then (and this is with my old body,you may still be ok doing 3-4 runs BUT i cut down to 2-3a week doing an hour run,about 6-7 miles COMFORTABLY.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

Some days will be easier than others-Push yourself BUT dont over do it else something will go BANG! and you'll be fcuked.

I did my achilles going up a hill and i was out for all last year!

By the end of AUG you should be looking to do a 10-11 miler a few times (1hr 20-30mins)

Unless you are going for record timing this should suffice

My times were about 1hr 50

As long as you can do 10 miles QUITE comfortably a week or so b4 the event you'll be ok as adrenaline will take you thro the last 3.

BUT if your body is upto it,go abit more as the extra training all help.

Better to do more than less,as you wont question yourself when your feeling fooked at 10 miles!!!

if your running in hot weather,take a water bottle as you'll be fcuked if you dont,you can get the palm held ones or get a belt which you can put bottles in!

But best tip is ,always listen to your body and avoid injury.

Rest and eat well,and you'll be fine.

Im sure Lisa will put you right with more proper tips as she did the London Marathon recently and im probably talking bollox!!!

Good luck! :thumbup:

In your own inimitable (or as you might say iniminimitable) style that is actually all very good advice I reckon Raj, thanks for taking the time to write it. I'd be happy with anything under 2 hours.

I've done a half marathon for the last 4 years, the first time I did it I got a 16-week training guide off the internet. It was pretty useful, basically helps you build up gradually. I wasn't the fittest when I started - just about made it through a game of 5-a-side - so it was really good. I could email it to you if you pm me your email address?

Good luck, it's hard work but well worth it when you cross the line

Cheers. No need to PM, the personal address to use is [email protected]. Cheers for that. The runwindsor.com website has a similar-sounding training guide but no harm in looking at yours as well, thank you.

Energy bars and energy drinks like Lucozade maybe, but he doesn't want to be popping Caffiene tablets and Red Bull if he's long distance running, caffiene dehydrates you.

Energy bars and energy drinks like Lucozade maybe, but he doesn't want to be popping Caffiene tablets and Red Bull if he's long distance running, caffiene dehydrates you.

AVOID any such supplements unless you are used to them and have used them B4.

In a half marathon i ran a couple of years ago they handed out hi 5 energy gels and being the greedy fcuker i am i tried them and i had stomach cramps for the last 2 miles cos i wasnt used to it.

stick with water,glucose powder and jelly babies!!! :D

this may be handy for you to plot your route and see how many mailes it is-

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

I did a lot of running over Easter on a treadmil and then when I came back to uni decided to run on the roads. It's a million times harder, not only on joints, but with undulations etc. I know it's not always practical but running out on the streets would probably be the best training.

There's already some good advice, but from my own perspective, this is what I did. Training for a half or a full marathon is pretty much the same, but with obviously less mileage for the half.

The first thing I did was work out how many weeks I had until the race. Then I planned for a taper, which is 2-3 weeks. This is really important, and although you'll feel that you should be doing lots, you need to resist!

I then planned my weekly schedule backwards. Running 2-4 times in the week is fine, and then you'll want your long run at the weekend. Don't forget that you could be ill between now and then, or pick up an injury. If you do, don't panic, cross off what you don't do, and as long as you can get the long runs in, it should be fine. I found the training schedules from the internet quite useful. Runners World is good.

What I found helpful was mixing up the types of runs during the week, and as I did those on a treadmill it was quite easy to do structured hill sessions and interval training. Those really do help!

Also, use the long runs to plan your race day, so if you want to use gel sachets or a particular isotonic drink, it's best to do so then, Raj learnt the hard way! It's great for breaking in your running gear as well.

For a 2hr half marathon, you are looking at a pacing of 10.5km/h, which is 5m43 km or just over 9m miles. If you know your outdoor route well, it might be worth writing the splits on your arm, or make up a wristband to help you with your pacing. Or invest in a GPS watch; I have the Garmin Forerunner 205. It's good!

Hope this helps, there's a lot to take in.

And good luck! I'm planning on running the Leicester Half in October.

In a half marathon i ran a couple of years ago they handed out hi 5 energy gels and being the greedy fcuker i am i tried them and i had stomach cramps for the last 2 miles cos i wasnt used to it.

There's also Map my run which is pretty good for route-plotting.

Jelly tots or fruit pastilles were my sweet of choice

There's also Map my run which is pretty good for route-plotting.

Jelly tots or fruit pastilles were my sweet of choice

I tried the jelly baby thing for the marathon; I decided that I would save the first as a 10 mile treat. I was really looking forward to it, but when I ate it, I couldn't taste the bugger!

That website is genius :D

My best advice is to go and get fitted for running shoes. And I'm not talking about going to the local sports shop. Find a New Balance shop or something similar and have them look at your foot and your stride to determine what kind of shoes you need. It will make a world of difference and help prevent injuries. Also, check out this website. www.begginertriathlete.com. It is generally aimed at triathletes but there is still a wealth of information for running and fitness. Oh, and dont forget your supplements (protein, Vit B complex for energy, fish oil for recovery, etc.) Good luck!

Archived