Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ASH17LCFC

The shock of lighting

Some of this anti-Oasis is a little disrespectful if I'm honest. They're arguably one of the greatest British bands of all time, and you don't make the amount of albums they've made and continually sell them if you're no good.

I'd beg to differ :P. Doesn't relate to this situation, mind.

Oasis are fine. I'm not really a fan but I think this bashing of them is a bit weak. It's like people who like foreign films with subtitles slagging off Die Hard or something. They make decent tunes with bollocks to them and there's not many do it better, if any, in fact. The sheer amount of praise they get is a bit over the top, sure, but thats appealing to a broad audience for you.

I don't think too many of their fans are kidding themselves that they're musical geniuses, but they're good at what they do.

Oasis will always sell an album but their music, is well, pedestrian at best.

What i do respect them for though is their ability to turn so little musical talent into pound notes with such frequency.

What they did with such aplomb is copy the Beatles and release poor songs and iffy two/three chord guitar tunes that had dumb people in raptures.

I agree with people saying that Oasis haven't really pushed their boundaries, perhaps they could be better - but they have stuck to doing what they are good at, and it has made them a lot of money. And i find the criticism a bit tiresome. I think Flynny made a great comparison with the films. I think its these arty farty types that criticise Oasis because of their success. They have come from a humble background, and worked ****ing hard to be where they are now. Okay, they've done some silly things with drugs etc... but like it or not folks, Oasis are very very good at what they do. Thats been proven by album sales, tours etc... that you cannot deny.

I respect everyons opinions in here.

But what I dont agree with is record sales being connected to quality of music.

I dont necessarily beleive that just because a band/artist sells lots of records it means that there any good.

Just my opinion anyway.

I dont necessarily beleive that just because a band/artist sells lots of records it means that there any good.

Just my opinion anyway.

I dont either, but what i do think is that once an artist sells a certain amount of records, you have to take your hat off and just say 'they obviously appeal to a wide range of people, they obviously are good. They may not be in my opinion, but that doesnt mean they're not good.

Just my opinion anyway.

I agree :thumbup:

I mean all hip hop is shite but album sales say otherwise :whistle:;)

I agree with people saying that Oasis haven't really pushed their boundaries, perhaps they could be better - but they have stuck to doing what they are good at, and it has made them a lot of money. And i find the criticism a bit tiresome. I think Flynny made a great comparison with the films. I think its these arty farty types that criticise Oasis because of their success. They have come from a humble background, and worked ****ing hard to be where they are now. Okay, they've done some silly things with drugs etc... but like it or not folks, Oasis are very very good at what they do. Thats been proven by album sales, tours etc... that you cannot deny.

i agree, if by 'what they do' you mean be handled very well by management, producers, PR people, advertising people, that's why they are 'huge', thanks to clever production and marketing they have a very marketable product, they are a commodity, personally very few things they have done interest me, that doesn't make me a snob

- and what kind of band agrees to the sacking of half its personel, that's not humble or working hard, that's selling out to the marketing men....

there are plenty of bands who have worked hard and still try to do something different, without acheiving massive success but ahve enough to be able to make the music they want, to try to do something new, oasis have effectively sold their musical souls after finding themselves in the right place at the right time... lets face it, if you manage to sell a lot of records by marketing the lowest common musical denominators, you have to expect criticism...

disliking oasis is nothing like being elitist - technically, their music is not of a very high quality, there is nothing wrong with having simple music if you write fine lyrics, or vice versa, i find that they rarely manage to do either of these.

oasis, in my eyes, are a soulless bland composite of many better bands, who produce generic ordinary music which leaves me cold. sorry.

I dont either, but what i do think is that once an artist sells a certain amount of records, you have to take your hat off and just say 'they obviously appeal to a wide range of people, they obviously are good. They may not be in my opinion, but that doesnt mean they're not good.

Like Natasha Bedingfield!

Wait shit.

oh dear oh dear---

have they run out of other acts to plagiarise and copy, so they've just ripped off themselves - badly-

whatever oasis used to be (and i've been bored of them since i first played 'definately maybe' (the day it came out)) they have now proved that they are a worthless nothing that are surviving purely on a few fans who probably don't know any better-

seriously, if two chords, a barely noticable melody and a drum beat i could play constitutes the single, i dread to think what the album tracks are like.

hopefully this will be, at the very least, the first nail in the oasis coffin.

shite.

lol

You are a massive musical snob. I think it's time you admitted it. :P

Thing is I can understand why. From what I read you are a talented musician and even if it's subconsciously this will mean you are more likely to say things in a tone that unsettles a few on here. I'm guilty of snobbery too at times, I'm a classically trained musician, I sometimes think that I'm better informed than others when it comes to judging music.

However I keep myself in check because that's not what music is about. People love music because it provokes a reaction. That could be due to haunting lyrics, beautiful harmonies, innovation in sounds or it could just be because it has energy, or as Flynny put, if it has bollocks.

And this is why comments about "fans not knowing any better" will grate. Some people don't give a f**k about the lyrics, or how many different chords they use or how their latest song sounds like their first. They just like the music because it has energy, it connects with them and it makes them smile. I have quite a lot of stuff in my collection that I could probably produce myself given the right equipment. So what? If it puts a grin on your face then it's good music, no matter how simple or intricate, original or bland.

lol

Thing is I can understand why. From what I read you are a talented musician and even if it's subconsciously this will mean you are more likely to say things in a tone that unsettles a few on here. I'm guilty of snobbery too at times, I'm a classically trained musician, I sometimes think that I'm better informed than others when it comes to judging music.

However I keep myself in check because that's not what music is about. People love music because it provokes a reaction. That could be due to haunting lyrics, beautiful harmonies, innovation in sounds or it could just be because it has energy, or as Flynny put, if it has bollocks.

And this is why comments about "fans not knowing any better" will grate. Some people don't give a f**k about the lyrics, or how many different chords they use or how their latest song sounds like their first. They just like the music because it has energy, it connects with them and it makes them smile. I have quite a lot of stuff in my collection that I could probably produce myself given the right equipment. So what? If it puts a grin on your face then it's good music, no matter how simple or intricate, original or bland.

the 'fans not knowing any better' comment does not alude to an ignorance about the technical side of music, but to perhaps that i feel a lot of oasis fans probably haven't heard the multitude of bands that oasis have 'developed' their sound/image from.

i am a snob, but that doesn't mean that i can't fault a band who i feel have done nothing for the music industry other than provide the soundtrack for boozy do's and dismal buskers.

i love feel good cheesy pop as much as the next man, including the odd oasis song, and i am not criticising these lads because they like oasis, i'm simply venting my spleen against a band who have failed to utilise their lofty position and commercial appeal. And yes i resent the notion that a band are great because they sell a lot of records...

i am a snob

Wahey!

For the record I just listened to the song and out of boredom switched it off after 90 seconds.

Vålerenga - on a side note and you may resent me bringing this up in an Oasis thread but I am interested to hear some of your music. PM me if necessary but any chance I could have a listen?

I don't know if its liams voice or Noels guitar or maybe its his simplisic and quite frankly dull songwriting for the last 10 years but I think its time to move on.

Even when they started they had a back dated sound, but it sounded quite fresh but they never seem to offer anything new and its all so boring now, they sound like a bad brit pop band from 1995.

i agree, if by 'what they do' you mean be handled very well by management, producers, PR people, advertising people, that's why they are 'huge', thanks to clever production and marketing they have a very marketable product, they are a commodity, personally very few things they have done interest me, that doesn't make me a snob

- and what kind of band agrees to the sacking of half its personel, that's not humble or working hard, that's selling out to the marketing men....

there are plenty of bands who have worked hard and still try to do something different, without acheiving massive success but ahve enough to be able to make the music they want, to try to do something new, oasis have effectively sold their musical souls after finding themselves in the right place at the right time... lets face it, if you manage to sell a lot of records by marketing the lowest common musical denominators, you have to expect criticism...

disliking oasis is nothing like being elitist - technically, their music is not of a very high quality, there is nothing wrong with having simple music if you write fine lyrics, or vice versa, i find that they rarely manage to do either of these.

oasis, in my eyes, are a soulless bland composite of many better bands, who produce generic ordinary music which leaves me cold. sorry.

No need to say sorry Valerenga, its a free country, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion!

And just on the highlighted bit, perhaps their new album should be called 'Sell Out Your Soul' instead of 'Dig Out Your Soul' ?! lol

Like Natasha Bedingfield!

Wait shit.

But thats exactly my point, i think shes sheeeite, you do by the sounds of it, yet shes sold loads of records, therefore she appeals to a lot of people. So we should take our hats off to her and just say you know, perhaps you are good.

lol

Exactly

Perfectly summed up JTB. Music is all about opinions.

the 'fans not knowing any better' comment does not alude to an ignorance about the technical side of music, but to perhaps that i feel a lot of oasis fans probably haven't heard the multitude of bands that oasis have 'developed' their sound/image from.

Ok Valerenga, i can go with that, as i'm probably quite a bit younger than you, i perhaps havent, and this could be why Oasis sound more original to me than they do to you. Perhaps you could care to tell me a few of these groups so i can give them a listen?

i am a snob, but that doesn't mean that i can't fault a band who i feel have done nothing for the music industry other than provide the soundtrack for boozy do's and dismal buskers.

i love feel good cheesy pop as much as the next man, including the odd oasis song, and i am not criticising these lads because they like oasis, i'm simply venting my spleen against a band who have failed to utilise their lofty position and commercial appeal. And yes i resent the notion that a band are great because they sell a lot of records...

Perhaps your right.

I think Honcho meant that hip-hops shite, but sales are good. Unless you're saying sales are'nt good? I dont fecking know. It's all about opinions i guess.

I was just refering to Hiphop sales being poor in the last 2 years.

If you dont like Hiphop fair enough, its not for everyone i suppose.

:thumbup:

I was just refering to Hiphop sales being poor in the last 2 years.

If you dont like Hiphop fair enough, its not for everyone i suppose.

:thumbup:

No, i dont mind hip hop at all, i just thought that you meant that hip-hop sales were good, and i'm surprised that you're saying they are poor.

Gonna try and make the saturday night gig in Sheffield all being well . Ill admit if Oasis released agadoo then id probably go out and buy it , listening to Oasis was a massive part of my youth and i feel a loyalty towards them , Valarenga makes a decent point about broading your musical horizons and maybe i desperatly need to do that , i listened to most of the Foxestalk compilations but failed to get excited about many, ill continue to listen to this "shit" as long as i live and as i always say , its all about opinions and when it comes to Music the only 1 that really matters is your own

Archived