Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Shipman told to 'go hang himself'

Shipman told to 'go hang himself'

Harold Shipman was told to "go and hang himself" by a prison officer, who offered to show him how to do it, an inquest jury has been told.

Inmate David Smith said Shipman was his best friend in Wakefield Prison, where the serial killer GP was found hanging in his cell last year.

Smith claimed he overheard Shipman and another inmate talking, which was when Shipman made the claim.

He also told the jury Shipman said he was being bullied by prison staff.

The prisoner told the inquest that Shipman had said: "They're bullying me because I wouldn't talk to officers."

'Pound of flesh'

Smith said he regularly played cards with Shipman and other inmates and the doctor never seemed suicidal.

He also said Shipman, who was a GP in Hyde, Greater Manchester, where he carried out the bulk of his murders, would hold "impromptu surgeries" in the prison, helping other inmates with advice on their medical conditions.

Fellow inmate Richard Baker said Shipman was singled out by prison officers and that staff were trying to get their "pound of flesh".

Baker told the jury Shipman refused to cooperate with psychologists and other medical professionals because he felt superior to them.

He agreed that Shipman believed the staff and the inmates in the prison were also "beneath him".

Another prisoner, Geoffrey Shepherd, told the inquest that Shipman once talked him out of committing suicide.

When asked if Shipman had told him that "life was sacred and should not be taken in that way", he said: "That's what he used to tell me. We used to have long arguments."

He said Shipman even told him that he would have to report him to prison staff if he continued to talk about taking his own life.

Shepherd said Shipman told him he himself would never commit suicide.

He told the inquest that the night before Shipman died, the ex-doctor came into his cell after phoning his wife and told him about a development in his case.

'Pressure'

Shepherd said Shipman had told him he might take "another course of action" if his appeal failed.

Shepherd said Shipman told him that a prison officer had said: "The best thing you can do for all concerned is to kill yourself. If you don't know how to, I'll show you."

He explained that Shipman often complained that he was being "bullied".

Shepherd was then asked if he thought the prison officers' taunts were pushing him towards killing himself.

"Yes, because the way the pressure was put on him probably did lead to his suicide," he said.

Life sentence

He said he was surprised that Shipman was found hanging because whenever they had discussed suicide he had always told him that "opening the arteries" would be the best way of doing it.

Jacqueline North, a prison officer on Shipman's wing, described the serial killer as an arrogant man who only wanted to conform to prison life "on his own terms".

Under cross-examination, she revealed she was unaware that Shipman was considered to be a long-term suicide risk.

On Monday, Shipman's widow Primrose told the inquest she had no idea her husband intended to commit suicide.

Shipman was given a life sentence in 2000 after he was convicted of the murder of 15 of his patients.

An inquiry concluded that he probably killed about 260 patients while working as a doctor in Pontefract and Todmorden, West Yorkshire, and in Hyde between 1971 and 1998.

The hearing continues.

When asked if Shipman had told him that "life was sacred and should not be taken in that way", he said: "That's what he used to tell me. We used to have long arguments."

92272[/snapback]

what the hell?

he's one of the last people that have the right to talk about how sacred a life is!

He's a serial killer, Britains worst at that. What did he expect in prison, loads of tea and sympathhy? Cosy little chats about the best way to bump off your victims?

If u were a relative of a victim or similar and u wanted punishment for the prosecuted, what would u rather have them punished as..??

Life in Prison??

or the Death Penalty??

Personally i'd rather they get a life sentence.. but theres many pros and cons about this.. the pros being they obviously dont have their freedom and they get bum-raped every shower time and eat shit, the cons being they could be set-free with good behaviour, they might enjoy prison life etc

I agree the death penalty is very wrong - but it was his choice to kill himself, and he is no longer a burden on society.

92535[/snapback]

But he didn't deserve the right to escape his punishment, the coward that he is.

I agree the death penalty is very wrong - but it was his choice to kill himself, and he is no longer a burden on society.

92535[/snapback]

But he didn't deserve the right to escape his punishment, the coward that he is.

92698[/snapback]

Well why should you pay tax money for a convict that's hurt society?

92535[/snapback]

92698[/snapback]

Well why should you pay tax money for a convict that's hurt society?

92704[/snapback]

exactly

there was a huge debate on this on the OS a while back that began as me against everyone but lightened down to me against swabianfox lol

i'll leave it to you lot this time

You can only sentence a person to death if you are 100% certain they are guilty.

How many people have been wrongly sentenced?

I don't believe that ANY human being has the right to take anothers life.

robot?

the thing is if you were a mother/daughter of one of the victims, your view would change without a doubt

92741[/snapback]

Possibly - but I don't think I could ever live with myself if the person accused was done so wrongly!

robot?

the thing is if you were a mother/daughter of one of the victims, your view would change without a doubt

92741[/snapback]

sentencing is about justice, not revenge, therefore people invovled should have little or no input into the sentence

but in this instance is there not hundreds of cases surrounding his involvment?

that takes more than a bit of mis chance

92745[/snapback]

True - but then if the death sentence is made legal again how do you know that each person accused is 100% guilty?

I don't condone what he did - he was a truly evil man, who probably had too comfortable a time in prison.

Archived