Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The NBA Thread

I'd rather be dead wrong and happy than miserable and right.  :)

so what am I doing on FT?  :ph34r:

It's a big pleasure to be at a game like that for sure.  I wore a 2016 Playoffs t-shirt which I'm sure supplied the extra mojo to get the Cavs over the line.

6 hours ago, the fox said:

WOW! How great of a player/teammate is Klay? has no ego, doesn't want the money and is an elite shooter and defender. He won the Dubs the game.

Looks like we got ourselves a couple of Game 7's!

By the way, what's up with KD? Three games on the trot now shooting less than 40% from the field. I'm not saying he's not contributing, but he's really struggling to take over games like he can and should, and (dare I say it) like LeBron is in the East.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Looks like we got ourselves a couple of Game 7's!

The first time since 1979 that the western and eastern conference finals have a game 7 at the same time I think. Really looking forward to.

5 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

By the way, what's up with KD? Three games on the trot now shooting less than 40% from the field. I'm not saying he's not contributing, but he's really struggling to take over games like he can and should, and (dare I say it) like LeBron is in the East.

Before i start. I'm not saying this to make him look better because he should be doing a lot better than this.

There are so many factors as to why he's not doing as good as the first 3 games.

1- The physicality. As the series went on, the refs allowed for more bump and run's which can take a lot from a shooter with not as strong of a body as others.

2- The rockets elite defense, their smart adjustment and KD's below average "drive and kick" skills. In the first 2 games, KD was getting leverage in the top of the right key and the Rox were ok with him doing that because it's not the Warriors' basketball and as logic says, 3s are more than 2s. But the problem was, KD was so good that he only needed one of Klay/Steph to show up and they would win the game. So, what did they do? they bumped him and put him on so many screens and are now not giving him leverage as easily as the first 2 games. Now if you watch carefully you will see how The rockets defenders are guiding him to the free throw area with their arms/elbows (like the legal version of hand-checking). Usually, a defender would rather allow a fade-away/elbow jumper instead of a shot from the free throw area but because KD is so tall, he can get his shot over everyone and make it on a great clip. so, when he forced him to move to the inside, he has to hunch down to move in the post which exposes the ball and affect his shooting form. The shots he's taking now are almost impossible because the moment he tries to go up, at least 2 guys are going for the steal to strip him and he is not on the same planet as Lebron when it comes to dishing the ball for open shooters.

3- Iguodala's injuries. Yeah, yeah. I know, you are asking how does the team missing their 5th best player can affect KD that much? Well, for starters, because the rockets have 2 elite guards in Paul and Harden, they will target the weak link of the defense (that's Steph). When the Dubs are putting out The Hamptons 5, they have 4 elite defenders (Draymond, KD, Klay, and Iggy) so When it comes to the rockets switching to abuse Steph, one of the 3 guys with the highest defensive IQs in the league (Iggy, Draymond, and Klay) are there to provide help. And on offense, every 1 of the starting 5 can space the floor. Now with Iggy out, they can't just put a shooter out there because he will get cooked on defense, so they play looney who's a non-facter offensively apart from some putbacks and offensive rebounds. Now, KD, Klay, and Draymond are not only worrying about Steph but also the 5th guy which takes the probability of resting on defense to bed. 

And there are more factors that I don't know or I'm not smart enough to understand.

As for Lebron taking over. Imo, no one can stuff the stat sheet as good or as efficient as Bron (not even Westbrook). And when his jumper is working, It's impossible to stop him. He's too fast, too smart and too strong but I believe a big factor in Lebron controlling the east is the mental aspect. Bron is living in their heads rent free. especially those baby dinosaurs from Toronto. Most of the players in the east respect and fear Lebron and act like fans. very few try to go at him or hard foul him and most of the guys doing that are average to below average players so they will be laughed at if they try to go at him. It's not a coincidence that the east has very few players on the 1st team all-NBA apart from Lebron in the last 10 years. The east is just weak and the all-stars there are afraid to poke Lebron because he proved that he can take their hearts out. 

For me, that's what I like about KD. He believes that he's the best player in the world. In the last finals, he was hitting so many crazy shots and gave medicine to anyone and everyone (even Lebron). For me, that 3 point shot he took AND made after Lebron refused to attack Draymond who had 5 fouls and passed it for the corner 3 is the greats shot I've watched live in my life. The guy could've easily choked but he just rebounded the ball, went at Lebron and told him "catch this". He didn't shy away from the moment and Proved that He's not a guy who Puts up empty stats.

Edited by the fox

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Neither is LeBron. You can't compare him to Westbrook in that regard. He's doing everything he can to drag his team as far as possible, and he's doing it predominantly on his own. If it takes going 40/10/10 every game to do that, then he'll do it.

I never said that Lebron's stats nothing. they mean a lot to his team and affect the wins. I would take a Lebron triple-double over a Russ's any day of the week because he's a lot more efficient. 

Edited by the fox

Celtics shot like garbage! Hot garbage! I think the Cavs will win the championship if they meet the rockets. Harden doesn't have tough enough mentality and that 7-foot monster named Durant is the only player who can stand with Lebron.

13 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Woo-Hoo.JPG.641045a870f778a6a7862f4c757b8f3d.JPG  

WOOOO - HOOOOOOOOO!!!

Congrats, man! The Cavs are actually playing great defense. Lebron willed them to a great win and i think he played 48 minutes! 

Edited by the fox
  • Thanks 1

Lebrondiana, Lebronto, lebronston...guy is on a tear. Greatest player of all time if you ask me.

If he had a better team id say they can beat golden state   ut not with the current cast.

Houston is their best option i think.

7 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Lebrondiana, Lebronto, lebronston...guy is on a tear. Greatest player of all time if you ask me.

If he had a better team id say they can beat golden state   ut not with the current cast.

Houston is their best option i think.

Lebron really gave raptors fans Stockholm syndrome.

aoifBqp.gif

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

It really is amazing to be alive during probably the greatest basketball player of all time when he's playing how he is. LeBron is like a force of nature

It really is sad that he choked vs the Mavs in 2011 or I would be really considering him as the GOAT!

34 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

And no offense to that excellent Rockets team of the mid-90's, but it might well have been 8 rings if MJ hadn't decided to waste 2 prime years of his career trying to be a baseball player.

There were talks about the NBA banning him from the league for 2 years and helped him cover it up. Even the bulls and MJ said that The Dream was a bad man!

For me, MJ is the GOAT because he was a competitive psychopath! (and yeah, the fact he has 6 FMVPS and no L in the finals). He would do anything to win and will not give up. (just google some of the petty bets he made with his teammates after he already paid money for the guy to set him up to win). He played in an era where hand checking was implemented and teams would have goons just for Shaq and MJ. If you are going to the basket, there was a price to pay. Most of the flagrant fouls now were OK back then. He was a lockdown defender for a long long time and DPOTY. Now some players respect/fear Lebron but MJ was the boogeyman of his era. When MJ sat on the table, no one else in the NBA could eat. He left many all timers ringless. Lebron is Great but MJ is the GOAT.

Edited by the fox

One of my favorite MJ stories!

On Thursday, NBA legend Magic Johnson added to the list on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," recalling the time he trash-talked Michael Jordan during a "Dream Team" Olympic squad scrimmage in 1992.

Johnson recalled that during a scrimmage, his team was beating Jordan's 12-2.

Then, in what Magic says is the first and only time he ever trash-talked, he told Jordan, "If you don't turn into Air Jordan, we're going to blow you out today."

Johnson said Jordan's eyes got wide, and that's when Jordan turned it on, hitting consecutive three-pointers and staring Johnson down after each one.

Johnson continued, saying he's seen three great shots in NBA history: Dr. J's reverse layup, Jordan's up-and-under left-handed layup, and the third is the shot Jordan hit during the scrimmage.

"He came down on the right side, took off," Johnson began. "David Robinson took off. And [Jordan] said, 'Okay, I'm going to sit here in the air because I know David Robinson is going to go down.' So David Robinson went to the ground, [Jordan] 360'd, tongue moving, and dunked it — 360 in a practice game!"

Though it's unclear if it's the same exact game, Jordan recalled on the 2012 NBA TV documentary "The Dream Team" that one particular scrimmage was the "the best game I've ever played in," citing the competitiveness of 10 Hall of Fame players going up against each other. Johnson said in the documentary that after that game, Jordan walked into a room and told him and Larry Bird that there was "a new sheriff in town."

5 hours ago, the fox said:

Lebron really gave raptors fans Stockholm syndrome.

aoifBqp.gif

I think too many people get caught up in the number of rings debate. Karl malone  has 0 but was a bad arse player (not goat but a damn good player).  Kobe was 5/7. Heck bill frickin russell won 11 and not even in top 3 consideration for goat by most accounts.

Lebron has or will have been to 8 finals in a row  (9 finals in total) and thats pretty damn impressive  to me even if he has only won 3 of them (so far).

I grew up in the jordan era (as a knicks fan before the raptors became unextinct) and can appreciate just how good jordan was.

Its all down to personal preference but to me lebron is a beast above them all. If he can will  this shite cavs team to the finals like he has done before the i can only imagine if he had a better supporting cast.

Jordan kobe and lebron would all be in my nba first team though :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

I think too many people get caught up in the number of rings debate. Karl malone  has 0 but was a player (not goat but a damn good player).  Kobe was 5/7. Heck bill frickin russell won 11 and not even in top 3 consideration for goat by most accounts.

Robert Horry has 7. It's not just about rings but when you are talking about players when you get in the GOAT conversation, It becomes the differential. Karl is good but he doesn't even sniff top 10. Kobe's knock is him missing the playoffs in his prime (granted he played with bad players) and the fact that he only has 2 FMVs and Shaq was too much of a beast. And bill played in an era where there were 10 teams.

Lebron has or will have been to 8 finals in a row  (9 finals in total) and thats pretty damn impressive  to me even if he has only won 3 of them (so far).

It is amazingly impressive but you gotta take into accounts how many eastern conference players made 1st team all NBA in the last 10 years. The east is weak but it's not Lebron's fault.

Jordan kobe and lebron would all be in my nba first team though

Kobe? nah. He's pretty much a MJ-lite. 

i got...

PG: Lebron. (He pretty much plays point)

SG: MJ

SF: Bird

PF: Duncan

C: The Dream/Kareem

Off the bench I got..

Magic. Kobe, KD, Garnett, Shaq, Bill, Steph (just my personal opinion)

Like I said before, If only he didn't chock in the 2011 finals.

Edited by the fox

1 hour ago, the fox said:

Robert Horry has 7. It's not just about rings but when you are talking about players when you get in the GOAT conversation, It becomes the differential. Karl is good but he doesn't even sniff top 10. Kobe's knock is him missing the playoffs in his prime (granted he played with bad players) and the fact that he only has 2 FMVs and Shaq was too much of a beast. And bill played in an era where there were 10 teams.

It is amazingly impressive but you gotta take into accounts how many eastern conference players made 1st team all NBA in the last 10 years. The east is weak but it's not Lebron's fault.

Kobe? nah. He's pretty much a MJ-lite. 

i got...

PG: Lebron. (He pretty much plays point)

SG: MJ

SF: Bird

C: The Dream/Kareem

Off the bench I got..

Magic. Kobe, KD, Garnett, Shaq, Bill, Steph (just my personal opinion)

Like I said before, If only he didn't chock in the 2011 finals.

Loke i said to each their own.

For me..

PG: magic

SG: jordan

SF: lebron

C: kareem abdul

Off the bench I got..

isaiah thomas, kobe, Dr J, Garnett, shaq

12 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

I mean if nobody is mentioning Muggsy Bogues then what even is the point.

anyway, Warriors need one of their mega third quarters here. 

Of course they had one...Curry going nuts here.

http://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/23635623/golden-state-warriors-return-nba-finals-houston-rockets-go-ice-cold-game-7

Golden State seized the lead by outscoring Houston by 18 points in the third quarter. The Warriors are now plus-130 in third quarters during the playoffs, the highest overall scoring margin in a quarter by any team in a postseason during the shot clock era, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

The Rockets, meanwhile, misfired again and again from long range. Houston missed all 14 3s that it launched in the third quarter, part of a stretch of 27 straight missed 3s, the longest such drought during a playoff game in NBA history. Houston was 7-of-44 from 3-point range in the game.