Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The NBA Thread

Not watched Basketball for a while but saw some of Celtics vs Cavs last night, love the drama of the NBA, two dramatic finishes last night.

Didn't see Hayward's injury though, don't think I'll be looking at it either, saw Paul George's when it happened and that was bad enough.

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

That has to be up there as one of the most gruesome sports injuries.

Talked to a bud who was at the game, who said all the air was sucked out of a pretty loud house which was enjoying itself booing Kyrie.  Cavs fans DO NOT like the Celts, so that took something pretty nasty.

Trying to get back into the NBA but struggling, when I started watching first back in 05 I picked the Heat as my team. 

Currently Haslam is the only player I recognise from the days of Wade being the heartbeat of the team. We of course had the "big 3" era of Bosh, LBJ and Wade but that soon fizzled out. 

Been dipping in and out over the last few years and 3/4 of all rosters I don't even recognise. Gone are the days where I used to love watching Steve Nash, Vince Carter, Kobe, Shaq, T-Mac, AI etc. 

There's an unpredictability missing from the NBA these days, super teams forming and elite players joining forces it just makes it a bit flat. 

• 3 weeks later...

Started to get back into basketball after a few years of not watching, partly due to BT Sport having full games on demand.

This season has been eventful so far, lots of teams that were expected to do terribly have started well such as the pistons and magic and vice versa like the Cavs. The East is looking a bit more competitive than in recent times and it’s taken a little bit of time for the Warriors to get into gear in the West.

On the subject of underperforming there seems to be a lot of issues going on at the Cavs, I’m not a cavs fan but I do like LeBron, however I think that despite his obvious ability and dominance he does cause a few issues with the team. Ty Lue is clearly out of his depth in managing a player like LeBron and from accounts within the team they don’t have set plays or tailored game plans for each team they face, watching them this season they rely on iso’s and the pick and roll which is fine when you have LeBron handling the ball but when he’s on the bench the team look lost - at least when Irving was there they had two legit star players who could create their own shot and could outscore teams which is even more important now their defence has also been very weak.

At this rate it might be another stroll for Golden State, no other team looks close despite some big trades and with the Cavs stuttering it takes away their closest rival for the title imo.

Edited by zak_lcfc

It amuses me to see the Cavs being so shit with a bunch of Bulls rejects on their roster.

At 2-7 we're exactly as shit as expected but some of the kids we're playing look promising. But then we also have players taking lumps out of each other in the changing room so as ever - a mixed bag of drama for the Bulls.

• 1 month later...

great game yesterday even though the refs were missing a lot of calls!

KD is really proving why he is on the same level as lebron. playmaking is obviously lebron but, defence and scoring are durant's.

add that to KD asking to guard lebron and lebron wanting none of it (throwing jae crowder at durant), it makes it even closer

Edited by the fox

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, the fox said:

A major clearout by the CAVS!
Trading Wade,Frey, Jae Crowder,Shumpert, Rose, Crowder and Isaiah and their protected 2018 first round pick for Clarkson, Larry Nance, Rodney Hood, George Hill and the Heat's second round pick and the rights for Gudaitis.

how you're feeling, @KingsX?

I feel great!  Sun’s still coming up tomorrow and LeBron’s still leaving this summer -- two facts which have been equally obvious for months.

Actually I don’t follow regular-season NBA, nor sports talk.  This was amusing, though:

DWade.JPG.f284b76af1280aa7dc41bbf260fcd8a2.JPG

I almost launched into a rant about Kyrie and lessons about player power and honoring contracts.  :ph34r:  Can’t do that to you though.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Time to bump this.  Playoffs (i.e. actual hard-fought games) are on.

I’m going to Wednesday’s game vs the Pacers, so you punters might want to take a small flyer on Indiana.  My record of being in attendance at Cleveland’s sporting debacles is almost perfect.  Was at the 2010 playoff loss to the Celtics, which looked at the time like LeBron’s last game as a Cav.  If they lose Wednesday, it could be his last home game for us.  (TBH I do think they will battle through to make it a 6 or 7 game series.)

Who’s going to take it all?  No idea myself, except they won’t be from the Eastern Conference.

54 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I’m going to Wednesday’s game vs the Pacers, so you punters might want to take a small flyer on Indiana.  My record of being in attendance at Cleveland’s sporting debacles is almost perfect.  Was at the 2010 playoff loss to the Celtics, which looked at the time like LeBron’s last game as a Cav.  If they lose Wednesday, it could be his last home game for us.  (TBH I do think they will battle through to make it a 6 or 7 game series.)

Who’s going to take it all?  No idea myself, except they won’t be from the Eastern Conference.

I think these playoffs have the potential to be the best in years. Neither conference has a runaway team unlike recent seasons. 

On 16/04/2018 at 17:46, KingsX said:

1-1. Looked for a minute like they might choke away a big lead though. Now can they nick a game in Indiana and take back homecourt advantage?

8 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

1-1. Looked for a minute like they might choke away a big lead though. Now can they nick a game in Indiana and take back homecourt advantage?

Quite possibly, but after tonight my pick is Indy in six.  Cavs team defense is putrid -- not a good thing in the playoffs-- and they are a finesse team outside of LBJ and Thompson.  Pacers are all grabbing and shoving, especially off the ball.  The refs swallowed their whistles, and the Cavs looked unequipped for extreme postseason rules.

LeBron still has the energy to carry an entire team for a half, but as you saw tonight, not for 48 minutes.

Just glad I had another chance to enjoy a great, great player in Cleveland colors.

4 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Was @KingsX at the Q last night? Would have been amazing to be there for that moment. 

Watched it over ales and a great tri-tip in San Luis Obispo, CA.  Not quite the Q but can't complain!  Happy that King James wrecked my series prediction--but it has been a close-run thing.  A play either way ...

On 26/04/2018 at 22:05, martyn said:

Can't see Lebron staying in Cleveland even if I can just about see him willing the Cavs through to the Finals. Would like to see Philadelphia come out of the East though.

Philly’s youth is starting to show now but they could soon become the team to beat in the East for many years to come. They’ll be in the finals in the not too distant future for sure, if they stay healthy. 

8 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Lebron is destroying my toronto raptors....or as they are now known as lebronto raptors. Brutal.

Amazing player.

lol Bron is absolutely bullying the baby dinosaurs. The Raptors players seem like fans watching their favorite player. No one has the guts to hard foul him and pick up a flagrant. The east is a joke.

Raptors are the only Eastern team I laid. No chance. 

Loving the Sixers/Celtics series, really hope it goes to 7. Two young teams that could well dominate the east for a few years now. Sixers were my pick to get to the finals but they really could have done with winning one of the first two, last night really got away from them. 

On 04/05/2018 at 21:14, lildave3 said:

Raptors are the only Eastern team I laid. No chance. 

Loving the Sixers/Celtics series, really hope it goes to 7. Two young teams that could well dominate the east for a few years now. Sixers were my pick to get to the finals but they really could have done with winning one of the first two, last night really got away from them. 

THIS SERIES. Wow.