Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

New Releases

Today there are not one, not two but THREE exciting new long-playing releases hitting the shops. I've just bought two of them, and would have bought the third but it's not arriving until tomorrow.

It's 14 years since I bought 3 albums on the same day of release*.

Anyway, it's these:

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

Jeffrey Lewis and The Junkyard - 'Em Are I

Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years

Why not support your local record store and go down to Rockaboom (other record stores are available) and buy at least one of them. They're bound to be triffic

*they weren't very good - albums by Sleeper, Ash and The Cure - but don't let that put you of

*they weren't very good - albums by Sleeper, Ash and The Cure - but don't let that put you of

1977 is a top album! :o

Wild Mood Swings was, on the other hand, a firm confirmation that The Cure were past their best (as they hinted at with Wish.)

Don't think I've ever bought 3 albums on their release day - that's probably more to do with not being fussed about having stuff first. If I recall correctly I might have bought Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 on the release day... would that count as 4? :P

reviews of the camera obscura and SFA albums, please - never heard of the other one...

'hey, lloyd...' is one of my favourite (non-beach boys) songs :thumbup:

Today there are not one, not two but THREE exciting new long-playing releases hitting the shops. I've just bought two of them, and would have bought the third but it's not arriving until tomorrow.

It's 14 years since I bought 3 albums on the same day of release*.

Anyway, it's these:

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career

Jeffrey Lewis and The Junkyard - 'Em Are I

Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years

Why not support your local record store and go down to Rockaboom (other record stores are available) and buy at least one of them. They're bound to be triffic

I only ever buy my vinyl from Rockaboom. :thumbup:

Always used to buy my music from rock-a-boom too, glad to se it's still open, but I haven't been into town to shop for years. When I worked in town I would be in Rock-a-boom 2-3 times a week during my lunch hour. My musical purchases are now almost exclusively online. Which is kinda sad... it's made me nostalgic about going inot town and buying a CD or 2, but I then remembered the excess cost (including transport)

The bloke in there said they're not doing too badly at the minute, which was nice to hear. I imagine the fact that apart from HMV they are pretty much the only music retailer in town now, aren't they?

So many have closed down over the last few years. I think it's very sad.

The Jeffrey Lewis album is pretty good, haven't really decided about the SFA one yet and will hopefully pick up Camera Obscura tomorrow.

The album I am liking most at the minute is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs one. I'd go so far as to say that's AMAZINGLY good

Always used to buy my music from rock-a-boom too, glad to se it's still open, but I haven't been into town to shop for years. When I worked in town I would be in Rock-a-boom 2-3 times a week during my lunch hour. My musical purchases are now almost exclusively online. Which is kinda sad... it's made me nostalgic about going inot town and buying a CD or 2, but I then remembered the excess cost (including transport)

I have found that some albums are as cheap (even cheaper on some occasions) at Rock A Boom than on-line! Not all though granted.

I just love browsing in there when he has his drum & bass turned up to 11 :rolleyes:

last time i went in there (feb, i think) it was dismal, apart from a few new releases it was looking very thin on stock - i ended up going to HMV (which didn't seem much better).

I have found that some albums are as cheap (even cheaper on some occasions) at Rock A Boom than on-line! Not all though granted.

I just love browsing in there when he has his drum & bass turned up to 11 :rolleyes:

Yeah - I've made a few impulse purchases in there based on what was on the turntable at the time... corse, I remember when it was in Loseby Lane... sigh.

Yeah - I've made a few impulse purchases in there based on what was on the turntable at the time... corse, I remember when it was in Loseby Lane... sigh.

ha, i remember when the guy was just a spotty indie kid - is the woman still working there?

Has it always remained the same woman over all these years? I've never been sure. I know that when she was basically in charge of the upstairs at Loseby Lane I used to go up there primarily for that reason. :whistle:

I still love buying records and buy vinyl if I can. Unfortunately that means buying more and more online which isnt the same. I do get excited about new bands but they tend to dissapear after one record only to be replaced by the latest MOR rubbish which kids lap up...I guess thats always been the way though. I still dont see the excitement of downloading songs.

i thought it was in the Malcolm Arcade?

That was after wasn't it? Anyone clarify this? I have to admit I was a little unsure that it might even have been in Silver Street. I used to really love that little part of Leicester City Centre... Rock-a-boom, Voodoo, The Globe, The Very Bizaar.

That was after wasn't it? Anyone clarify this? I have to admit I was a little unsure that it might even have been in Silver Street. I used to really love that little part of Leicester City Centre... Rock-a-boom, Voodoo, The Globe, The Very Bizaar.

I've answered myself... look at the address on the bag!

rockaboom.jpg

was taken in 1985 according to the website here Flicker

Has it always remained the same woman over all these years? I've never been sure. I know that when she was basically in charge of the upstairs at Loseby Lane I used to go up there primarily for that reason. :whistle:

It's just the one bloke now. Considering how difficult it must have been of late, he's a lot jollier than he used to be. I've actually had some conversations with him. There's no place for record shop staff elitism anymore.

i thought it was in the Malcolm Arcade?

There was a record shop in the Malcolm Arcade, there might still be. It wasn't Rockaboom though.

Lest we forget:

MG Discs

Ainleys

St Martins Records

World Records

Archers

Backtrack

Revolver

Can anyone think of any others? There was another one on Loseby Lane, but I cannot remember for the life of me what that was called.

Ultima Thule is still there. That's obviously how to survive - stock weird prog stuff that no other shop in the world gets in

I still love buying records and buy vinyl if I can. Unfortunately that means buying more and more online which isnt the same. I do get excited about new bands but they tend to dissapear after one record only to be replaced by the latest MOR rubbish which kids lap up...I guess thats always been the way though. I still dont see the excitement of downloading songs.

I think there's as much good music out there as there ever was, but the ease with which you can get music now without paying for it, or even leaving the house doesn't seem to have helped people's tastes to any extent. You'd think that with this wondrous almost infinite library of tunes at everyone's fingertips, people's horizons would broaden a bit, but instead they download James Blunt

It's just the one bloke now. Considering how difficult it must have been of late, he's a lot jollier than he used to be. I've actually had some conversations with him. There's no place for record shop staff elitism anymore.

There was a record shop in the Malcolm Arcade, there might still be. It wasn't Rockaboom though.

Lest we forget:

MG Discs

Ainleys

St Martins Records

World Records

Archers

Backtrack

Revolver

Can anyone think of any others? There was another one on Loseby Lane, but I cannot remember for the life of me what that was called.

Ultima Thule is still there. That's obviously how to survive - stock weird prog stuff that no other shop in the world gets in

I think there's as much good music out there as there ever was, but the ease with which you can get music now without paying for it, or even leaving the house doesn't seem to have helped people's tastes to any extent. You'd think that with this wondrous almost infinite library of tunes at everyone's fingertips, people's horizons would broaden a bit, but instead they download James Blunt

do you remember boogaloo? it was a 2nd hand record shop above a bridal shop, on gallowtree gate, i think. i lived in there, as well as ainleys :(

do you remember boogaloo? it was a 2nd hand record shop above a bridal shop, on gallowtree gate, i think. i lived in there, as well as ainleys :(

I do, but I only went in there a few times. This is making me depressed, I'd forgotten how many there are. I've just remembered Castle Records (where I bought most of my Smiths albums) and The Left Legged Pineapple in Loughborough, both gone, of course

I do, but I only went in there a few times. This is making me depressed, I'd forgotten how many there are. I've just remembered Castle Records (where I bought most of my Smiths albums) and The Left Legged Pineapple in Loughborough, both gone, of course

there was one in syston i used to go to quite frequently too; abacus records, which is where my smiths records came from!

Lest we forget:

MG Discs

Ainleys

St Martins Records

World Records

Archers

Backtrack

Revolver

there was a record shop on the corner of cank street, under the case, which is now a jewellers, i remember buying a rereleased vinyl 'Surf's up' album from there in the mid/late 80s - wow!

the old archers, when it was on highcross street was insane, just stacks of records that you couldn't get too - and when they moved onto high street, it was so nice except all the good vinyl was upstairs which was hardly ever open

anyone else remember when we had THREE HMVs - one where the entrance to the shires is, a tiny one on market place (i remember buying 'it takes a nation of millions...' on casette from there, and the on where partners is now in the haymarket, which i remember felt like an independant store with all the glass

....i think this thread should be renamed 'The Great Lost Record Shop Thread'.....

Archived